• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wheelchair woes...

peggy-sue

Legally, it was up to him to cut back anything that was overhanging his property.
And he has to give you back the cuttings. o_O

I take it the reason you won't complain about the pile of manure is that you are scared he will hurt cats in revenge?

I don't get why folk are lousy neighbours. :(
It makes everybody's life so much more pleasant if neighbours are friendly and helpful.:hug:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Legally, it was up to him to cut back anything that was overhanging his property.
And he has to give you back the cuttings. o_O

I take it the reason you won't complain about the pile of manure is that you are scared he will hurt cats in revenge?

I don't get why folk are lousy neighbours. :(
It makes everybody's life so much more pleasant if neighbours are friendly and helpful.:hug:

Yes, I try to get on with neighbours, and I don't think I cause them any problems, apart from some quite loud music once a year when celebrating my and a friend's birthday. I left a bag of apples outside each neighbour's house one year and some never even thanked me. There's only one neighbour who has even given me anything, or shown concern about my health, or chatted with me (usually about cats or the nuisance neighbour!).

I don't think Nuisance-features would hurt my cats, unlike the previous one who I think killed two, including my all-time favourite. As I said, he was truly evil. I was warned abut him, but thought my acquaintance must be exaggerating, and had fallen in love with the house and was already in the process of buying it. The dream turned into a nightmare that destroyed my health and nearly killed me.

Sorry - don't want to hijack the thread - just wanted to give another example of how nasty neighbours can be.

peggy-sue

I have lovely neighbours. They consulted with us over building their conservatory, and built it to be an attractive thing for use to look at, without overshadowing us in any way.:thumbsup:
We consulted with them over the removal of the fence between us, which was falling apart and horribly overgrown with very pretty, but too much, Russian Vine.
We have put up a trellis fence with clematis and honeysuckle growing in it - to be a lovely flowery fence for all of us.
They have put up some bamboo fencing to "fill the gaps" until it grows - this was all done with consultation and agreement.:thumbsup:

They give us produce from their allotment and home-made chutneys, I give them home baking and produce from our garden. We keep keys for each other, and look after each others' houses when we're away.
If they're having a noisy party in the back garden (which isn't often) - they invite us.

Apart from that, we keep out of each other's way. But we both know that we can call on each other in an emergency.

It's really not any trouble to be considerate to your neighbours - and it has considerable rewards.:)

MeSci

I have lovely neighbours. They consulted with us over building their conservatory, and built it to be an attractive thing for use to look at, without overshadowing us in any way.:thumbsup:
We consulted with them over the removal of the fence between us, which was falling apart and horribly overgrown with very pretty, but too much, Russian Vine.
We have put up a trellis fence with clematis and honeysuckle growing in it - to be a lovely flowery fence for all of us.
They have put up some bamboo fencing to "fill the gaps" until it grows - this was all done with consultation and agreement.:thumbsup:

They give us produce from their allotment and home-made chutneys, I give them home baking and produce from our garden. We keep keys for each other, and look after each others' houses when we're away.
If they're having a noisy party in the back garden (which isn't often) - they invite us.

Apart from that, we keep out of each other's way. But we both know that we can call on each other in an emergency.

It's really not any trouble to be considerate to your neighbours - and it has considerable rewards.:)

You are so lucky. I would have consulted neighbours over my conservatory if it was going to be visible from their houses or gardens, but it isn't - I'm at the end and it just overlooks a field.

I had to PUT UP fences (all over the place, incurring considerable cost and exertion) to keep out the nuisance neighbours' children, animals, and HIM! I found him walking through my back yard one day underneath my washing lines! His dogs rampaged through all the gardens chasing any cat they could find. His chickens ripped up plants and even came in my front door one day and shat on my carpet. I still get his goats eating my honeysuckle. He had EMUS that sometimes escaped and ran down the lane!!! (His dogs killed them eventually.)

Good, eh? :(

peggy-sue

...interesting, :rolleyes: if not good, MeSci!
I had a blackbird come into the kitchen once and it shat everywhere. I mean everywhere. On me, on the pulley, on the laundry, down the extractor hood chimney, in my tall glass bottles, on the floor, in the sink, on the table, on the woksurfaces, on the cooker...:p

MeSci

...interesting, :rolleyes: if not good, MeSci!
I had a blackbird come into the kitchen once and it shat everywhere. I mean everywhere. On me, on the pulley, on the laundry, down the extractor hood chimney, in my tall glass bottles, on the floor, in the sink, on the table, on the woksurfaces, on the cooker...:p

Hope it escaped before a cat caught it! Do you have many woksurfaces, BTW? :lol:

peggy-sue

Enough. :rolleyes: And tons of stuff on them, which got splattered.

It got me down the back of my neck - between my skin and my polo-neck. :nervous:

Don't worry about the cats, MeSci. The first thing I did as soon as it flew in, was shut Muzz and Pip in the rest of the house, keeping the bird in the kitchen.

It took me over 30 minutes to get it out. I don't know why it ignored the wide open doors and windows, but circled around the ceiling, divebombing everything.
It must have been terrified. I eventually shooed it out through the window with a mop.

I even tried using a lovely card I had been sent, which made blackbird noises, to encourage it - from both outside and inside. No use.

As long as your neighbour from purgatory doesn't descend to hell, MeSci, do you think you will cope being so unpleasantly near to him?

Goats are nice - even if they do eat your honeysuckle.

Last edited:

MeSci

It got me down the back of my neck - between my skin and my polo-neck. :nervous:

An unknown bird did that on my hair once as I was walking home. It was clearly a large bird...

It took me over 30 minutes to get it out. I don't know why it ignored the wide open doors and windows, but circled around the ceiling, divebombing everything.
It must have been terrified. I eventually shooed it out through the window with a mop.

I even tried using a lovely card I had been sent, which made blackbird noises, to encourage it - from both outside and inside. No use.

:rofl:

As long as your neighbour from purgatory doesn't descend to hell, MeSci, do you think you will cope being so unpleasantly near to him?

Goats are nice - even if they do eat your honeysuckle.

Yes, I can cope as things are. It's nice here.

I like goats too, but I also love honeysuckle and wish they would eat something else!

Now we must stop hijacking the thread! Sorry, @Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

peggy-sue

ummmm...What was he doing with emus? :cautious:

Russian vine grows a lot faster than honeysuckle does. :thumbsup:
Honeysuckle is dreadfully slow to grow, isn't it? But it's beautiful and smells divine.

You are right, we have rather hi-jacked this thread. :redface: My apologies too.

Last edited:
It seems this is becoming a common problem. I think we're just becoming 'clutter' that needs to be removed.
Right on cue there's an article in newspaper a couple of days ago..
'Gran, 91, chair ban. A gran may have to leave her home after 40 years, because health and safety says she cannot keep her wheelchair under hall stairs.
Widowed Doris Turner, 91, is too frail to carry it to her first floor flat.
Any item left in the communal hall is now a fire risk. She said, 'I was told to move the chair or move out.'

Guess this is the grim future for people like us :-(

MeSci

It seems this is becoming a common problem. I think we're just becoming 'clutter' that needs to be removed.
Right on cue there's an article in newspaper a couple of days ago..
'Gran, 91, chair ban. A gran may have to leave her home after 40 years, because health and safety says she cannot keep her wheelchair under hall stairs.
Widowed Doris Turner, 91, is too frail to carry it to her first floor flat.
Any item left in the communal hall is now a fire risk. She said, 'I was told to move the chair or move out.'

Guess this is the grim future for people like us :-(

I did a search for info on this and it looks as though the housing company are trying to help her, but there are other stories about crazy decisions here.

Also covered here.

Thanks for the links! It was just a snippet i saw. This is one of the comments below the article....

7:16am Thu 6 Mar 14

gambon says...

i am sorry to say this but it is a fire risk so why should the rest of the owners of these appartments be put at risk because 1 old women wants to store her wheelchair in the communal area we all know that wheelchairs are like time bombs just waiting to go off'

Depressing state of affairs.

MeSci

Thanks for the links! It was just a snippet i saw. This is one of the comments below the article....

7:16am Thu 6 Mar 14

gambon says...

i am sorry to say this but it is a fire risk so why should the rest of the owners of these appartments be put at risk because 1 old women wants to store her wheelchair in the communal area we all know that wheelchairs are like time bombs just waiting to go off'

Depressing state of affairs.

Yes, I am guessing that the old lady's and @Hell...Hath...No...Fury..'s wheelchairs are made of matchwood and petrol-driven. o_O Or are they just alleged to be obstructions?