• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAC and Glutathione supps

Bdeep86

A friend of mine in the CFS community told me to stay away from these as they can greatly influence your body's own productions of glutathione. Has this been proven? I have CFS and very very bad GABA/Glutamate issues. My glutamate is very high, I have heard that NAC can help with this. However, the one time I took it, it seems like it wound up make it it worse and I felt like i had a panic attack. Thanks for any feedback or recommendations.

Helen

NAC is recommended as a precursor to glutathione (that isn´t supposed to disturb your body´s own production) , but not more than 300 mg/day according to Richvank. Hopefully you can tolerate NAC if you start very low and go slow. Some people feel better from glutathione supplements, and other don´t. It should be better to support your methylation and body to produce more glutathione. Hope you will find a way that works for you.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
NAC works great for me when I am having a toxic reaction due to chemical exposure or a nasty detox. I have taken up to 3000 mg/day when needed. I don't take it regularly though.

Glutathione, OTOH, has not been as helpful, as it isn't properly absorbed unless you get the transdermal kind or an IV form.

If you get panic attacks from NAC, then that's a sign that your body doesn't like it.

Critterina

A friend of mine in the CFS community told me to stay away from these as they can greatly influence your body's own productions of glutathione. Has this been proven? I have CFS and very very bad GABA/Glutamate issues. My glutamate is very high, I have heard that NAC can help with this. However, the one time I took it, it seems like it wound up make it it worse and I felt like i had a panic attack. Thanks for any feedback or recommendations.
I ask this in ignorance: if you have GABA/glutamate issues and your gluatmate is high, why wouldn't you take GABA? Oh, and what kind of issues, if you don't mind me asking?

Bdeep86

I for some reason don't do well with GABA supps. I've tried a couple different forms most recently pharma GABA. Has a weird effect on me. Which issues do you mean? When I take NAC?

Bdeep86

Oh there are many, namely chronic fatigue, anxiety, extremely poor sleep, vision issues. I used adderall for a long time and I believe it really upset the GABA glutamate balance. I also respond extremely well to Xanax. It actually relieve fatigue for me rather than causing me to be tired.

PeterPositive

Interesting topic. I have been taking 1000mg of oral reduced glutathione for quite some time. It doesn't do any apparent harm to me, nor it seems to be causing methyl trap. In fact my homocysteine is slowly going down. In the period prior to taking it, Hcy was going up. Of course the two things are unlikely to be related, but it doesn't seem to interfere.

I admit I was kind of afraid to continue the glutathione after reading some of the posts about it, but I also don't see any evidence that it's causing problems, in my case. At worst it simply won't do much, even though my Hg levels have also gone down a bit. And my doc wants me to increase the dose to 1500-2000mg.

Anybody else is taking oral glutathione?