• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Broken Marionette book

• Thread starter thefreeprisoner
  • Start date
T

thefreeprisoner

I came across this book:

Reviving the Broken Marionette: Treatments for ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia

I searched for it on this forum to avoid repeating a regular question like a newbie but I couldn't find anything.

The author herself (Maija Haavisto) has a pretty interesting story which is much like most of us and seems to know what she is talking about.

I wondered if anybody here has read it and/or found it useful?

Andrew

This book is amazing. It covers 250 pharmaceuticals for CFS symptoms, comorbid conditions, and disease processes. IMO, any doctor who attempts to treat CFS should have a copy of this book. And any patient who wants to discuss pharmaceuticals with a doctor should have this book. It's the best CFS pharmaceuticals book I've seen to date.

The only problem I see so far is with so many drugs listed, it is very hard to sift through them. I think it could use a feature similar to the one found in the Canadian Consensus, where each one has a code that shows the level of evidence of treatment. And maybe a list in the front that contains the best bets. Because as it stands now, one has to skim the entire book to find the highly successful drugs.

http://www.brokenmarionettebook.com/?book

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Just wanted to say that I was the one who recommended the book to Andrew just a couple of days ago, so his testimony/review is completely unbiased. Agree with every word he says.

If you are using drugs to treat ME/CFS then this is the best book out there bar none.

It is available in PDF/ebook format from lulu or from e.g. amazon in paperback.
If you are buying in the UK I recommend buying from The Book depository because they have free postage.

MNC

I have followed her a bit in the past too. I mean Maija Haavisto, the Finnish girl who is the author. She said she got better with Low Dose Naltrexone basically. I don't know how she feel or what she is taking now a days.

She must be very talented though to write that compilation being so young. http://www.fiikus.net/

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
I have followed her a bit in the past too. I mean Maija Haavisto, the Finnish girl who is the author. She said she got better with Low Dose Naltrexone basically. I don't know how she feel or what she is taking now a days.

She must be very talented though to write that compilation being so young. http://www.fiikus.net/

Maija says:

On the second visit I asked him to prescribe me low dose naltrexone ... I've been on it since the 5th of March 2007 and it has helped me a great deal. I'm not healthy or cured by any means, but it seems to have wiped off a few years of disease progression ... Later I also got piracetam, nimodipine and melatonin added to the regime, with great results.

I agree about her being very talented.

P.S. As Andrew said, does anyone know any other good CFS nutraceutical books?

Andrew

I'm surprised that there isn't more buzz about Maija Haavisto's book. People are combing the Internet for information about drugs, and she's got a ton of it in her book.

sensing progress

I'm surprised that there isn't more buzz about Maija Haavisto's book. People are combing the Internet for information about drugs, and she's got a ton of it in her book.

I agree. Perhaps the title, "Broken Marionette", has something to do with it being undiscovered. At first glance I thought it was a book about art. Anyway, the woman's story is quite extradionary too: http://www.brokenmarionettebook.com/?author. I will definitely be reading this book.

Andrew

I agree. Perhaps the title, "Broken Marionette", has something to do with it being undiscovered. At first glance I thought it was a book about art. Anyway, the woman's story is quite extradionary too: http://www.brokenmarionettebook.com/?author. I will definitely be reading this book.
I think the title does hurt it. It should have a dry boring name to give a more scientific impression. We already have enough problems with names working against us.

I think another thing that hurts is the lack of decent preview pages on her site, at Amazon, etc. I think she should provide a preview of one table of contents page, 2 content pages, and one references page. It's a great piece of research with good presentation. There is nothing else that comes close. But the site and name do not communicate the high level of scholarship.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I wanted to pass along my thanks for recommending this book. It's the best I've ever seen and has given me one new ideas (because like most, I have to suggest things to my doc - and at least he listenes :) ) after just one quick scan.

Andrew

I wanted to pass along my thanks for recommending this book. It's the best I've ever seen and has given me one new ideas (because like most, I have to suggest things to my doc - and at least he listenes :) ) after just one quick scan.
Which part did you find helpful?