• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What about P-5-P?

Hello,

I'm thinking about adding in some P5P (pyridoxal-5'-phosphate/active form of B6) in my methylation regime as I've heard it being recommended for MTHFR A1298c gene mutation, as I have. Apparently it's also involved in a whole lot of other processes regarding driving the methylation cycle, like creating neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. Also got potential for lowering homocysteine which would benefit me (have high homocysteine).

I do not know if I really got a deficiency, but possibly symptoms is pointing to that for sure so figured I give it a try. Also read some scary things about overdosing on it, B6 overload could cause neuropathy, nerve damage in brain etc.

Anyone got something to share regarding P-5-P? Cant seem to find much information on it here and dont see it recommended as a part of a methylation protocol? Is there any clear risks or something that could negativly affect methylation?

Critterina

Generally I think it's a good add if you have high homocysteine. I've read where one person reached toxicity at 100 mg a day, but I think that dosage is safe for most people. Interestingly (to me, anyway) I had amino acid profile results that suggested B6 deficiency, but I had been taking 100 mg/day, just not P5P. I switched and resolved the deficiency. Good luck. I don't feel it doing anything, but the labs showed it.

Generally I think it's a good add if you have high homocysteine. I've read where one person reached toxicity at 100 mg a day, but I think that dosage is safe for most people. Interestingly (to me, anyway) I had amino acid profile results that suggested B6 deficiency, but I had been taking 100 mg/day, just not P5P. I switched and resolved the deficiency. Good luck. I don't feel it doing anything, but the labs showed it.

Thanks for sharing. Might do low-dose just to be sure about the toxicity. Anyways, I tried one capsule (33mg) yesterday and it was really wierd. First of all I was hit by a pretty strong relaxing sensation in my muscles, mainly in my upper back and shoulders (I'm usually very tense in these areas so that was Very nice). My chest opened up and there was some sort of anxiety relief also, almost like certain prescription drugs could do. Later on, i became stimulated and felt a bit panicky/anxious with shallow breathing which went on for a while. Had no trouble falling asleep though. Very wierd reaction imo.

Thinking I might either lower the dose/go with the regular methylation regime a bit further until I add in the B6.

Critterina

@kraken ,
That is a weird reaction, but it doesn't seem like it was entirely unpleasant... How much later did you start being panicky/anxious? Do you know whether it was maybe as your P5P levels were declining? Some PK data would be good to find. If you can tolerate it, you might try some experiments (half a capsule or less, or half now and half later but before the anxiety starts to kick in...I can make up experiments pretty well, but you have to decide to be the guinea pig!!!) Let me know what you try and how it works, ok?

@Critterina
Yeah it wasnt that unpleasant at first, actually pretty good. Think it was about 2 hours after that I started to feel panicky and stuff. I have no idea what it could be, after all it was my first time with P5P. Yes I will probably try lower doses next time, but for now I will leave it to side and instead try to sort out my other methylation problems (recently made a thread about it), I might be experiencing paradoxical folate defiency. I'll report back when I decide to try the P5P again.

Btw I have been my own guinea pig for the last 2 years so I have no problem in being that ;)

whodathunkit

@kraken--I'm not following you around, I swear. Can't swear you're not my long-lost twin, though. :p

But I also had a negative experience with P-5-P. I tried taking it without other methylation supps, just for homocysteine issues, a year or so ago. Yuck. Very cranky and irritable, kind of wired feeling. Not anxious, but more like I just wanted to clock somebody. LOL

But now I've incorporated it into my methylation routine with no problem, 50mgs/day. Maybe it will will work for you, too, after you straighten out a bit more.

@whodathunkit, Lol you're welcome brother :D

Glad to hear you´re doing fine with it now. I strongly believe it could be due to my other methylation issues which i'm having right now. Anyways, will start slow at some point probably. Do you get any specific benefits from it right now? Something that you can distinguish?

whodathunkit

@whodathunkit, Lol you're welcome brother :D

Glad to hear you´re doing fine with it now. I strongly believe it could be due to my other methylation issues which i'm having right now. Anyways, will start slow at some point probably. Do you get any specific benefits from it right now? Something that you can distinguish?
Not really any benefits that I can distinguish between the benefits of everything else. I suspect I have had high Hcy for a while, though, so like I said, I'm hoping it helps with that. Right now I'm taking the fact that I continue to improve (mood is very upbeat this morning, shortness of breath seems improved) as a sign that everything I'm doing is working well and in synergy. Esp. considering I had a negative (albeit pretty minor) reaction to p-5-p in isolation before.

p5p must be enteric?i tried p5p in capsule from source naturals and life extension.all good no diffence in anything.when i tried solgar(enteric) again no difference in anything good.but numbness every morning.maybe the other ingredients in enteric were bad?glyceryl triacetate,methacrylic acid?