• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Effects of sleep restriction and exercise deprivation on somatic symptoms and mood in healthy adults

Dolphin

This mentions 'functional somatic syndromes' (FSS), such as fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome, in the abstract but isn't about them per se.

Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2013 Nov-Dec;31(6 Suppl 79):S53-9. Epub 2013 Nov 15.

Effects of sleep restriction and exercise deprivation on somatic symptoms and mood in healthy adults.

Ablin JN1, Clauw DJ, Lyden AK, Ambrose K, Williams DA, Gracely RH, Glass JM.

Author information

Abstract

OBJECTIVES:

Exposure to acute 'stressors' (e.g. infections, pain, trauma) often results in altered sleep habits and reductions in routine activity.

In some individuals, these behavioural responses to acute stressors may contribute to the development of chronic somatic symptoms such as widespread pain, fatigue, memory difficulties and mood disturbances, much like those associated with 'functional somatic syndromes' (FSS) such as fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome.

METHODS:

Eighty-seven healthy young adults who reported sleeping between 7 and 9 hours nightly and exercising regularly were randomised to one of four groups: exercise cessation, sleep restriction (6 hours nightly), both, or neither.

Symptoms of pain, fatigue, cognitive dysfunction and negative mood were measured before and after the 10-day restriction period.

RESULTS:

Sleep restriction was a potent contributor to the development of somatic symptoms. Exercise cessation was less influential leading only to fatigue.

There were no significant interactions between exercise cessation and sleep restriction, except that males were much more likely to develop somatic symptoms when deprived of both sleep and exercise than one or the other.

Women were generally much more likely to develop somatic symptoms than men.

CONCLUSIONS:

This study supports previous research suggesting that both sleep and exercise are critical in 'preventing' somatic symptoms among some individuals.

Furthermore, to our knowledge, this is the first time there is data to suggest that women are much more sensitive to decrements in routine sleep and exercise than are men.

PMID: 24373363 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Last edited:

Dolphin

The language used i.e. "develop somatic symptoms" suggests that patients demonstrated a non-low level on a particular measure. However, what was actually measured was change so depending on the initial score, it could still be low or alternatively could start high and stay high. The authors didn't try to set thresholds to ensure an impairment/similar was significant. In particular, they didn't look to see how many patients might satisfy criteria for
'functional somatic syndromes' (FSS) such as fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome

Having a bit more pain or fatigue doesn't mean one has Fibromyalgia or CFS.

Dolphin

One thing is noticeable is that "exercise restriction" alone didn't have a particularly bad effect on the males. In fact, if one doesn't the simplest calculation, just looking at the size and direction of change, following exercise restriction alone, in five of the eight measures, males had better/less worse change scores than in the no change group, compared to only two measures, where the no change group had better/less worse change scores (plus an eighth score where the results look identical). For women, the changes were of a different pattern, with the exercise deprivation group having better/less worse change scores than in the no change group on only one of the eight measures.

It was really sleep deprivation that caused the most problems. For both males and females, the group with exercise deprivation had better/less worse change scores than the sleep deprivation group on all eight measures i.e. on sixteen different measures.

Dolphin

Lots of people with new babies, for example, have sleep restricted to less than six hours, but such levels of sleep deprivation rarely seems to trigger CFS per se.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Not surprising. Sleep deprivation will make a person go crazy and sick, in whatever order. Its is one of the worst things that can happen a person if it goes chronic, because eventually it affects every bodily system. For me it affects my life the most and if this symptom was fixed I would surely "cure" quickly, even if it was simply because I would have the vitality and clarity needed to discover how to succesfully tackle my problems.

Iquitos

I'm sleeping well for the first time in 30+ years of ME. Why? I started using medical marijuana in the form of CBD drops from Cibdex, bought on Amazon for $40/ounce, containing 80 "doses."

It has also reduced my pain an unbelievable amount and I'm sure that is contributing to better sleep, but using pain relievers in the past did not help with the restless-leg syndrome and lack of REM sleep.

I'm about to finish my first bottle and have ordered another. My quality of life has gone up a great deal since I started this experiment and just gets a tiny bit better every day.

When I started, I couldn't walk up stairs (or down) without taking only one painful step at a time. Now I am going down and up those stairs in a nearly normal manner, with only a little pain, probably due to using my muscles in a way they haven't been used in years.

If interested, check out another thread here on PR about cannabidiol drops. Check out the research from Israel, Spain and Japan, on youtube.

peggy-sue

Crikey, 6 hours is a lot for me. Even before I was sick.

Beyond, I think your answer is right there in the link you posted... (bolding mine)

"Cannabidiol (CBD) is an interesting compound because of its ability to control reactive gliosis in the CNS, without any unwanted psychotropic effects."

;) Is "stone-ment" the same as the unwanted ( :whistle: :whistle::whistle: ) psychotropic effects?
Can I assume you don't like it?:hug:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yeah I saw it! But thought what a pain editing it, lets leave what I wrote.

I don´t like panic attacks much haha :hug:

Iquitos

It is still deprivation peggy-sue, but lets say "softcore".

You picked my interest there Iquitos. If I can, I will put my hands on that stuff. I mean, just look at this: http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/a...inflammation-through-control-neuroimmune-axis Beautiful.

Do you get any stone-ment with that though? :p I haven´t done well with weed in the past.

@Beyond, no there is no stone-ment with this product and that is why it's legal all over the world. It has little to no THC, the stone-ment chemical, in it, and the substance that gets the establishment types so uptight. THC also has medicinal properties and the medicinal varieties of the plant still have some THC, if one uses the bud or the whole plant. The drops being sold are said to be made of the stems and seeds only.

The fact that THC also has some medicinal qualities is why I'm going to try using the whole plant, in one way or another. I don't really care to smoke anything but there is a newer invention (Vapex or something like that) that heats the plant by convection, over glass tubes, so there's no actual combustion, little or no tar, and no paper involved. I may try that, or just making a tincture of the whole plant, or even juicing the leaves and taking that raw. Youtube has lots of interesting How-To videos. One woman with epilepsy takes hers as "hemp butter" on a piece of bread each evening before bed. It has given her back her life.

Amazon sells several kinds and it may sell to Spain. I haven't checked. I'd be getting mine directly from Cibdex but they want $14.95 "shipping and handling" vs. Amazon's free shipping for orders of $35 or more, if I don't mind waiting for the slower shipping method, which I don't.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Wow hemp butter, who would say. I wonder if hemp oil would be beneficial for sleep. Anyway, I´ll try to get CBD better.

Iquitos

That is one of the prime reasons I am using CBD oil. It has helped a great deal with pain and seems to be continuing my improvement with that, and it seems, according to Hip's comment in the CBD oil thread, that it helps with REM sleep. I can attest to the fact that it is helping me a great deal with sleep, too, and that greatly improves my quality of life.

Sean

I have tried high CBD, low THC cannabis. Helps sleep a lot. Helped with some other symptoms too. I would go so far as to say it is easily the single most effective pharmacological agent I have tried for ME, and with the least side effects.

Have any Australians ordered pure CBD online from overseas, without any trouble from our customs / police?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have tried high CBD, low THC cannabis. Helps sleep a lot. Helped with some other symptoms too. I would go so far as to say it is easily the single most effective pharmacological agent I have tried for ME, and with the least side effects.

Have any Australians ordered pure CBD online from overseas, without any trouble from our customs / police?
It might sneek through but I think if u got caught u would be in trouble??

Iquitos

C
It might sneek through but I think if u got caught u would be in trouble??

Caught? Are the laws regarding THC different in Australia? These drops do not have enough THC in them to be legally considered marijuana in the US.

It's just another herbal tincture, IMO. It doesn't get anyone "high", which is what the anti-pleasure folks are so against. Unless it's alcohol or cigarettes...

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
C

Caught? Are the laws regarding THC different in Australia? These drops do not have enough THC in them to be legally considered marijuana in the US.

It's just another herbal tincture, IMO. It doesn't get anyone "high", which is what the anti-pleasure folks are so against. Unless it's alcohol or cigarettes...

Alot of things are illegal here.

heres an example of how stupid it is here. I cant buy dhea from say iherb even though i have a dr's prescription, it will/has been seized by customs and destroyed unless i have a special importerd licence. These type of supplement are like $7 a bottle of say anywhere from 100 to 300 pills but in australia i can buy them from a compound pharmacy with a prescription of 100 dhea for about $80. Dhea is classed as an anabolic steroid here, far from it? We have alot of tight laws on drugs etc here that dont make alot of sense.