• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Kangan Water, Ionized water?

Martial

I just got hooked up with some of this water that is supposed to help alkanize the water in our bodies from a friend I made at a water shop...

I am curious if anyone else here has heard of it or ever tried it before?

I had about a day and a half of using it and already this is the first day since becoming very Ill with lyme disease that I felt almost completely normal again!

I am also using the methylation protocol so I am sure there is a combo effect going on but after drinking a gallon of the water I had a herx reaction, to fricken water!?!

I think it will really help and be a huge part in my recovery because I am anemic right now from the lyme and it is supposed to be very helpful for circulation and with blood stuff.. we also talked about the dangers of having acidic water in the body and how it leads to chronic disease and accelerated aging...

Anyways I don't know too much about it yet but very interesting!

I am just posting this because I just can't believe I had such success already from ionized water lol, just curious if anyone else has any knowledge on this stuff and why it feels like I drank a magic gypsy healing potion lol!

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I'm happy that you fell better.

Someone recommended this to a family member for a condition which they had, and I read the promotional literature, and from a biochemical standpoint, it made no sense to me.

Tap water is already a mix of HOH and H(3)0+ OH- (and depending on the minerals in it, other ions as well). In laboratories if we want no or fewer kinds of water ions (I forgot exactly how this works), we have deoinized water, in which they took out all the minerals and such so ions couldn't form. (I think there have to be other positive and negative elements in the water, to get ions)

They (the alkaline water marketers) wanted to adjust the pH of the body and the blood, but the blood has a buffer system which keeps it at a very specific pH (which varies by tissue), and if it varies from what it should be locally, this is a major disease and all sorts of things go wrong. All the enzymes and other proteins in the body are designed to work at a specific pH, and if you were to succeeded in adjusting it, all sorts of stuff would be failing in your cells catastrophically.

(Caveat: if your cells aren't working right, as they may not be in major disease like this, they might be off balance in pH from the disease, either from metabolism not working right as from mitochondrial problems or ion exchange problems, or from breathing not working right as from weak lung muscles or damaged lung tissues. E.g. the lactic acid studies. )

However, stuff you ingest is taken into the digestive tract, and there's supposed to be an elegant ion exchange system there, which would prevent ingested items from changing the pH of the body or the blood anyway, unless the pH were so overwhelming that it was destroying the tissues of the gut (which would make the substance a poison).

(Caveat: If with leaky gut theory, it's supposed they are already somewhat destroyed.)

(follow-up to caveats: it still doesn't follow that drinking supposedly alkanized water would somehow fix things in a useful way, as this is pretty nonspecifc both as to area and as to pH adjustment)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_ionizer

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html

I have read analysis that say the electrical current ionizers don't work, which makes sense to me.

Are you drinking more water than usual? If you were dehydrated before, fixing this can make you feel better. It can also help your kidneys and liver work better, which might plausibly create a detox reaction.

If you want minerals in your water, you can get mineral water with considerably less expense. The second link mentioned some much cheaper options as compared to Kangan water, if you want to keep trying alkalizing for any reason.

Last edited:

Martial

I got to admit I had my doubts, and you could be right about simply being hydrated lol, I think I would need to see some strong actual science to back stuff like this up...

I just don't know enough about it and in theory it sounded amazing... Physiologically I guess it doesn't make too much sense, based on the fact that the stomach would alter PH for what it needs as is...

I think I may have finally felt the effects of the methylation kicking in strongly as well who knows..

I want to put my trust into the water but I am still in need of some hard evidence of how this stuff works over all lol.

Thanks for the very helpful input!

Also yes, I am drinking more water then usual.

Ayaju

Hi Martial ~
I've heard that alkaline water works for a time and can really help certain health issues, but that then it stops working and can become harmful.
Judy

golden

I am not a fan of manipulating water. I definately dont like tap water.

The best solution in my view is to find a good quality free spring.

Buxton is the nearest to me and its a bit of a trek.

Ema

Someone tried to convince me on the benefits of this water a few years back...they gave me several gallons a week to try for a month or so. I drank it but did not notice any benefits.

I agree with @WillowJ's assessment and am glad I did not spend the $1000 plus on this machine.

Ayaju

Golden, you are so lucky! I wish I lived near a living spring! At the point where the water is dancing over the rocks is where it is natural structured water! That means it's living (alive!) toxin-free water! It's Nature's Law.

Judy

Martial

Hi Martial ~
I've heard that alkaline water works for a time and can really help certain health issues, but that then it stops working and can become harmful.
Judy

How can it become harmful? God why does even water have to be so darn complicated.. Lol

@Ema Yeah I kind of figured now that it seems kind of iffy, especially for paying over 1,000!

@golden God I envy you my friend, lol!

Golden, you are so lucky! I wish I lived near a living spring! At the point where the water is dancing over the rocks is where it is natural structured water! That means it's living (alive!) toxin-free water! It's Nature's Law.

Judy

I wouldn't assume that any water found in nature is 'toxin-free' and therefore safe.

Any untreated source of water can be contaminated with bacteria, parasites, protozoa, and viruses and other substances (pesticides etc). Many of these are harmless, but some may cause serious illness or even death in vulnerable people. Often these contaminants are invisible and can't be discerned by smell or taste.

As far as kangen water goes, it's price is over-inflated because it's a MLM company. All the machines are the same, so it would be better to find a much cheaper one. I think it would be wiser and cheaper to eat an alkalized diet rather than drink alkalized water. You could even drop a 'tums' in a glass of water and drink that to make a cheap version of alkalized water.

I think hydration itself is massively important.

adreno

PR activist
If someone wants alkaline water, why not just add bicarbonate? I think you'll only succeed in neutralizing your stomach acid though, as the PH of the cells are tightly regulated.

Martial

I think the Kangan water claims even bigger health advantages then having alkaline water alone, the miracle product is supposedly the "micro clustered" water, basically making the molecules smaller and more compact to deeper reach into the cells and Blood brain barrier to create huge hydration for body parts, and help with circulation...

Their science behind it is kind of spotty which makes it very questionable... The fact that it is MLM is kind of a turn off but interesting theory none the less....

I have since looked up some different things about it and the bulk of the info pretty much stated its over priced and not as practical in application as stated.

@golden Hey I actually found that site after you recently mentioned it! Looks great! Idk if I will use the rivers near me because LA and Ventura have a lot of pollution that probably drops into the water but damn it looks great.. There is an isolated place in Ohi that looks promising though, I even have a filter I can use at home which buffers against bacteria and stuff that can be in the water...

Martial

Actually as an update the kangan water was actually quite harmful to me, the level of PH was too close to the ammonia in my brain and organs and fueled to grow more of it, this is why I felt so sick after drinking so much...

May help those without ammonia issues but as of now definitely need to take care of the ammonia before I try it again..

Ayaju

I'm not going to get into it with you, Kina. I wish you well.

@SOC, I'm basing my understanding on what I learned from the scientists who have studied water for decades. My comment was about natural spring water being structured at the source of where it dances over the rocks. The water is alive and happy! The detoxing ability of that is Nature's Law.

Be well, Judy

Last edited by a moderator:

peggy-sue

I cannot believe any true scientist would describe water as being "alive or happy".

Is "Nature's Law" something completely different to what real scientists normally describe as the laws of nature?