• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could anyone help me with my 23andMe results and suggested treatment please.

Hello all,

I wondered if anyone would be able to help me?

I know this is a lot to ask but I am completely lost and my brain fog is making it impossible for me to wade through all of the information.

I have attached my methylation and detoxification results which I got through feeding my 23andme raw data into genetic genie.
I think I have worked out that I need to do some kind of methylation protocol? but I can't work out what to actually do. I think I need to get sulphur out of my system before I start the methylation protocol? because of the CBS defect but again don't actually know what to do. There may be other stuff I need to do too? but I am totally lost.

I am currently taking Swanson 5000 mcg methyl B12 and have been for a couple of years, I don't know if it helps or not, but it hasn't made me worse.

I also take a lot of other supplements: Omega 3, Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin D 10,000 iu, Zinc, Multivitamin, Vitamin C, CoQ10, niaciamide, magnesium citrate, L acetyl carnitine, maca powder, apple cider vinegar.

I am desperate and can't seem to figure out what to do, would you be able to point me to specific posts or articles (or even tell me yourself if you are able/willing) that tell me exactly what to do.

Thank you, I appreciate the help

Attachments

• Methylation Results   Genetic Genie.jpg
    Methylation Results Genetic Genie.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Detox Profile Results.jpg
    Detox Profile Results.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 11

Sea

The detox one you can get helpful information on the function of each gene from Wikipedia. It's helpful to know what medications you might have difficulty metabolising or detoxing. Also it's illuminating to understand where some chemical sensitivity tendencies come from.

Methylation Profile
The compound heterozygous MTHFR mutations are the most significant result and the function of the gene could be reduced to around 30%. It is recommended to supplement with methylfolate.

MTRR indicates you could benefit from B12. Some people have found the Enzymatic Therapy 1mg to be the most effective brand. Freddd and others are trialling the Country Life 5mg at the moment and seem to think it may be as good but too early to tell. It might be worth a change in brand if you still don't feel like the Swanson one is making any difference after you add methylfolate.

CBS and sulphur is a very controversial theory not at all backed up by the research. Not that sulphur can't be an issue, but it doesn't seem to be connected with the function of the CBS gene. It can be worth getting some sulphite test strips if you have reason to consider that this might be an issue and want to rule it in or out.

Critterina

@Myrtle ,

I agree with everything @Sea said. I would expand on it by saying, that when you get your methyl cycle going, and stable, that you might add TMG.

Your CBS is not a problem to treat, but it does help homocysteine exit the methyl cycle instead of reusing it. By adding methylfolate and methyB12 (or hydroxyB12) you help the cycle turn and lots of good things happen. There's a second cycle that uses BHMT to turn the cycle, but the BHMT 08 mutation slows that one down, too. If you add TMG, you help that one, too. I wouldn't start both, though.

Hello again,

I apologise if I am asking a lot but I have lots of questions as at the moment I am too ill to be able to research this and have been for months now. I was hoping to perk up and be able to do it myself but it's just not happening so I was hoping to start a methylation protocol to aid me in improving.

Re the methylfolate:
What is the starting dose?
Do I increase to a final dose or start on a full dose?
How quickly do I increase?
Do I keep at the final dose or adjust after a while?
When and how do I take it: morning/evening, with food/before food, with other supplements, once a day or more?

Re the B12:
What form? Methylcobalamin?
When and how do I take it: morning/evening, with food/before food, with other supplements, once a day or more?

Re the TMG:
At what point would it be recommended to start?

If found an easy step by step guide to a methylation protocol on Dr Sarah Myhill's website which seems to tell me exactly what to do but it sounds a bit different from the ones I've seen recommend on here. I have an excerpt below, does anyone know if it is an appropriate protocol for me to follow?
Pyridoxal-5-phosphate 100mgs (50mgs twice daily)
Glutathione 250mgs daily
Phosphatidyl Serine 200mgs (100mgs twice daily) - BioCare

If you are better - fine! If you are worse - it may be the reaction to the methylation package because it may cause an acute detox reaction (see below). Slow down the regime - take smaller amounts of the supplements and build up slowly. If you are unchanged - swap the sublingual B12 for injected B12 ie:

Daily subcutaneous injections methylcobalamin 0.5mgs (this is a bit more expensive than cyanocobalamin). Some CFSs will not respond clincially until 5mgs daily is injected. B12 is very safe with no known toxicity- as a collegue commented - the only way you could kill yourself with B12 would be to drown in the stuff! I would prefer people to start with this regime but I know many do not fancy the idea of injections - actually I am a wimp too, but they are easy and almost painless.
Methyltetrahydrofolate 800mcg (ActiFolate)
Pyridoxal-5- phosphate 100mgs (50mgs twice daily)
Glutathione 250mgs daily
Phosphatidyl Serine 200mgs (100mgs twice daily) - BioCare

If you are better - fine! If you are worse - it may be the reaction. If you are unchanged, add in:

Tri-methylglycine or TMG (not to be confused with betaine hydrochloride, so always ensure that you are taking pure-grade TMG)
Lecithin (phosphatidyl choline) and Phosphatidyl Ethanolamine.
S-adenosyl methionine (SAMe) directly as a supplement 400mgs daily

For those sufferers who have already tried B12 by injection as either hydroxocobalamin or cyanocobalamin before starting the methylation cycle protocol, go straight on to injections of methylcobalamin.

Once you are substantially better

Then the regime can be relaxed. Once you are a good methylator, then methyl B12, ActiFolate and glutathione could be tailed off. Injections could be swapped for oral supplements. However, do this slowly - some people need a small supplement long term in order to stay well.
Methyltetrahydrofolate 800mcg (ActiFolate).
Hydroxocobalamin 5000mcgms sublingually (or cyanocobalamin sublingually as Shot-0-B12). It may be necessary for some people to continue with B12 by injection to get the best effect (easy to self inject 0.5 - 5mg daily - once you have improved on methylcobalamin, then switch to the less expensive cyanocobalamin). Then the injections can be spaced out and the frequency adjusted according to clinical response.
Pyridoxyl-5-phosphate 50mgs (this is present in the BioCare multivitamin)
Phosphatidyl Serine 200mgs (100mgs twice daily) - BioCare"

If this protocol is not a good one does anyone know of a good one which is set out in an easy to follow format like this one?

Again I would like to say that I appreciate all help. I don't want to seem like I am not trying or can't be bothered to do the research myself, I really have tried but my brain has turned in to a useless lump of jelly.

Thank you

Myrtle

ebethc

@Myrtle ,

I agree with everything @Sea said. I would expand on it by saying, that when you get your methyl cycle going, and stable, that you might add TMG.

Your CBS is not a problem to treat, but it does help homocysteine exit the methyl cycle instead of reusing it. By adding methylfolate and methyB12 (or hydroxyB12) you help the cycle turn and lots of good things happen. There's a second cycle that uses BHMT to turn the cycle, but the BHMT 08 mutation slows that one down, too. If you add TMG, you help that one, too. I wouldn't start both, though.

@Critterina - how do you know your "methyl cycle is going"?

thanks

Critterina

@Critterina - how do you know your "methyl cycle is going"?

thanks
I think the answer to that will be different for different people. Some people see a reduction in homocysteine. For me, my methionine gets up to normal with normal protein intake. Others feel vastly better and go from not really functioning to functioning. For some, brain fog lifts. Generally, if you've identified your methyl cycle impediments and addressed them, usually with vitamins or supplements, and have been stable for several weeks or months, I would guess that's the best you can do.