• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antibiotic doxy- Need advice w Probiotic

Seven7

Seven
So I was soooo sick with lymhnodes inflammation GP decided to try antibiotic doxycicline 100mg twice a day. He didn't find any specific bug, he said we haven't try this and I wanted to try that anyways.

My question is as follow: I want to protect my gut so I bought probiotic and sauerkraut.

So when do I take the pro biotic at the same time I take the antibiotic? I know we are suppose to pause the antibiotic every 6 weeks? then 2 weeks only probiotic???

Please advice.
TX,7

Ema

Take the probiotic as far away from the antibiotic as you can.

For me, I dose my abx at 11AM, 5PM, and 8PM. And then take the probiotics at midnight.

You don't necessarily have to pause the abx...unless your doctor has instructed you to do so for some reason.

Just for interest's sake, doxy is bacteristatic at doses of less than 4-500 mg a day. This means it will keep bacteria from replicating...but it won't kill them. It becomes bactericidal at the higher doses.

Seven7

Seven
@Ema He wanted to try and see how it goes, because is something that we have not tried. He said he was willing to add others (we had a conversation that in the past some doctors tried the triple antibiotic approach to CFS) I know of doxy+azithro+flagil.

Anybody on antibiotic therapy for CFS that can give me the combo and doses please?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
dr nicholsons protocol was something like work up to 200mg of doxy a day.
Azithro has a long half life so could take 500mg every second day or a m/w/f type schedule.
flagyl long term isnt good for the liver but after being on the above two for a few months some will pulse flagyl eg 400mg twice a day for 5-7 days maybe every month.

Other types of schedules are on the cpn forum. http://cpnhelp.org/
these types of abx seem to help both myco and cpn which are common bacterial infections found in cfs/me
http://www.immed.org/index.htm

Ema

@Ema He wanted to try and see how it goes, because is something that we have not tried. He said he was willing to add others (we had a conversation that in the past some doctors tried the triple antibiotic approach to CFS) I know of doxy+azithro+flagil.

Anybody on antibiotic therapy for CFS that can give me the combo and doses please?
I do doxy 250 twice a day, Azith 500 once a day and pulsed tindamax ( instead of flagyl) at 500 mg twice a day, 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off.

Of course, I have Lyme so my protocol is designed for that purpose.

heapsreal

I do doxy 250 twice a day, Azith 500 once a day and pulsed tindamax ( instead of flagyl) at 500 mg twice a day, 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off.

Of course, I have Lyme so my protocol is designed for that purpose.
looks very similar to cpn protocols??

rosie26

Gosh that was an interesting bit of information @Ema about doxycycline being only bacteristatic at doses lower than
4-500mg. That now explains why doxycycline didn't work for me in the early years. I was given far too low a dose 100mg 2x day. That answers some thoughts I have had about doxycycline - thanks. x

Last edited:

heapsreal

Saccharomyces boulardii (SB) is a live yeast packaged in capsules and sold over the counter in Europe to treat diarrhea. Studies suggest that SB protects the gut from amebas and cholera, may keep candida from spreading, alleviates diarrhea caused by c. difficile, Crohn's disease and diarrhea of unknown cause in PWAs, and traveller's diarrhea.

http://www.thebody.com/content/art4765.html

Maybe a better alternative to probiotics while taking antibiotics??

Ema

Saccharomyces boulardii (SB) is a live yeast packaged in capsules and sold over the counter in Europe to treat diarrhea. Studies suggest that SB protects the gut from amebas and cholera, may keep candida from spreading, alleviates diarrhea caused by c. difficile, Crohn's disease and diarrhea of unknown cause in PWAs, and traveller's diarrhea.

http://www.thebody.com/content/art4765.html

Maybe a better alternative to probiotics while taking antibiotics??
I think you should take both!

Interestingly, I just read a study about the efficacy of different brands to find out if Florastor was worth the extra cost over the Jarrow. Their conclusion gave the Florastor an A grade and Jarrow a C. All other brands flunked their testing. I will find and post that study if anyone wants to read it.

Seven7

Seven
Day 2: I feel great (not including stomach! but not too bad there either). I wonder if it is the anti- inflammatory effect, too quick to be anything like bug killing effect or stopping replication.