• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help us think up a name for the Lipkin Microbiome Study campaign

bel canto

What about Lipkin's MicrobioME Study as a bit shorter version?

I like the "A Million and ME" also, particularly if Lipkin doesn't want his name included. Or "Millions for ME" or some such.

NK17

"A Million and ME" it's catchy enough and goes straight to the heart of the study ;)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Or "Millions for ME" or some such.

I thought of 'A Million for ME' but thought it could sound selfish - ooh, all that money for me! Whereas 'A Million and ME' is about so many of us, and all standing together, like the 'ME and You' in Maria's campaign.

NK17

I wonder how people in ad agencies manage! I've been thinking about this for days now. o_O
I was just thinking about Public Relation and advertising as well, but you preceded me ;).
Maybe somebody on PR has a background in advertising or pr?!
We really need to nail this name in order to have some traction outside of the large PWME population too.
I'd love to have Lipkin's input on the campaign name but understand his time is too precious for this, but maybe he's willing to help ;)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
We really need to nail this name in order to have some traction outside of the large PWME population too.

True - we want something attractive and inspiring, if we can.

I'd love to have Lipkin's input on the campaign name but understand his time is too precious for this, but maybe he's willing to help ;)

We're probably better off having him working away in his lab! :nerd:

SOC

We need to keep in mind that the big money we want is probably not going to be attracted by "million dollar" or "ME".

Cute advertising names work for small and/or personal projects. Big money scientific projects need power words like "pathogen" and "cure" so that big money donors feel like they're getting something substantial for their money. Big money donors want to feel they're a part of something big and important.

Words like "bug" and "gut", while clever and cute, don't attract the major donors.

Our friends and family will donate regardless of the name. It's the on-the-fence, or people who know nothing about us yet that we need to attract.

Lipkin is a big name and quick to google. His name adds a degree of credibility we haven't had before.

Maybe we need a big powerful name for the primary campaign itself and some small fun names for mini side campaigns focused on smaller audiences...?

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
Why are ALL suggestions which have the disease name included refer to it as ME. Whatever happened to CFS. This site is for CFS/ME.

I've always referred to it as CFS and a large proportion of patients do also, perhaps the majority.

Now choose my suggestion and lets close this thread:

CFSbugsME

Choose it.

vli

Because "CFS" is SO controversial for reasons that're obvious once one does a quick search on this forum.

It's also the same reason why Jen Brea explicitly stated that she chose NOT to refer to our disease as CFS, in any of her pages or in the media.

vli

We need to keep in mind that the big money we want is probably not going to be attracted by "million dollar" or "ME".

Cute advertising names work for small and/or personal projects. Big money scientific projects need power words like "pathogen" and "cure" so that big money donors feel like they're getting something substantial for their money. Big money donors want to feel they're a part of something big and important.

Words like "bug" and "gut", while clever and cute, don't attract the major donors.

Our friends and family will donate regardless of the name. It's the on-the-fence, or people who know nothing about us yet that we need to attract.

Lipkin is a big name and quick to google. His name adds a degree of credibility we haven't had before.
SOC!!! So long since we've "spoken"! :D

I love EVERY point that you have made. Thanks! It's funny I was thinking what ways in which we could possibly use the name "Lipkin", but it seems there're not many. Nothing that's very inspiring anyhow (not that the man isn't inspiring!!!!)

Sasha drew up a list that had several names with Lipkin in them. I'll find 'em and mull over 'em over the weekend :)

vli

The Microbiome and ME
A Hundred Trillion and ME (we have approx. 100 trillion microbes in our guts)
ME: The New Frontier
A Million Patients Waiting (there are approx. 1 million ME patients in the US, where this study is based)
A Million and ME ($1 million, and a million US patients) - quite like that one...

Oh so I see @Legendrew had "Lipkin's $1 million dollar appeal" which does have "Lipkin" in it (re: SOC's last post) but it doesn't seem to be talked about the threads much? That's one way of having his name. That said I LOVE @Sasha's "Hundred Trillion" except I HOPE people aren't going to subconsciously feel like we're trying to raise a ridiculous amount!

I'm thinking whether to set a deadline for when the name should be set. Is the latest day Wednesday reasonable? Maybe we could put the names on this thread up to a vote (poll) by the end of Monday.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I LOVE @Sasha's "Hundred Trillion" except I HOPE people aren't going to subconsciously feel like we're trying to raise a ridiculous amount!

No point in being unambitious! :cool:

I'm thinking whether to set a deadline for when the name should be set. Is the latest day Wednesday reasonable? Maybe we could put the names on this thread up to a vote (poll) by the end of Monday.

Sounds good - and just poll on a shortlist of the ones that seem to have got the most favourable attention so far or have clear merit. I'll sort that out on Monday.

Keep 'em coming, guys!

bel canto

SOC - re: your comment about using a power name for the potential big donors - seems like microbiome is trending significantly these days, as scientists are beginning to pay a lot of attention to it.

It echoes the "genome" projects that most people are aware of, and possibly evokes the idea of a very large and important project. I wonder if any large research projects are using that name.

Firestormm

'MICROBIOME AND ME'

'ME AND MY MICROBES'

'MICROBIOME MILLION'

'LIPKIN'S PATHOGEN HUNT'

'LIPKIN'S HUNT FOR MICROBES IN ME'

'RAISE A MILLION FOR MICROBIOME HUNT'

'RAISE A MILLION FOR A MILLION'

If not Lipkin then use Columbia.

Obviously need more sleep...

Violeta

A MILLION DOLLARS FOR LIPKIN

actually, I think I'll change that to:

A MILLION $ FOR LIPKIN

or maybe:

$1,000,000 4 LIPKIN

Last edited:

SOC

The million is not for Lipkin, it's for his research or his study. We need donors to understand that. I know... Sigh... Trying to find a short catchy name with all the right info is not easy. It seems like we can be fun and clever or boring and accurate.

Maybe we can shoot for accurate and exciting? "Research" or "study" plays well with big money donors. "Micro biome" as a new buzzword is probably helpful (as @bel canto pointed out).

Would "hunt" add that degree of excitement without taking away from the seriousness?

Has anyone checked with Lipkin to see if it's okay to use his name?

I'm still leery of using "ME" because our generally bad image (unfair as it is) might turn donors off before they look further and ditto for the self-centered implication of "me". We want to attract in the first second, not turn anyone off.

Is Microbiome Pathogen Hunt too boring? Or inaccurate? **sigh**. This sure isn't easy.

What is Lipkin calling the study? Surely he knows how to sell to the money people? Not that it worked for this research... Sigh.

Violeta

Maybe we could help him cut the costs by providing links to all the studies already done in the areas he has mentioned.

Also, I saw that cfids grants funds for studies for me/cfs.