• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium Threonate is like Speed!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
My doctor wanted me to try Life Extension Neuro Mag. I took one yesterday at 7 a.m. and by 8 a.m. I was cleaning more than I had in months.

I started to crash (it had been a rough week) so I took another one at 11. I was like a Whirling Dirvish! By 6 pm my brain finally quieted down but I felt "speedy" until past 10 pm!

This morning I split a capsule and took 1/2 with food. My brain is dead but my body feels jittery.!

I get this speedy feeling from things I shouldn't. I've had it with Baclofen. I can't remember what else. How crazy is this?

Another supplement bites the dust.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I was able to take Life Extension Mag threonate with no problems, but when I switched brands, I was surprised to see that the directions on the Source Naturals brand of Magnesium threonate said to start slowly:

Suggested Use: 3 capsules daily, preferably 2 capsules during the day and 1 capsule 1-2 hours before bed. Start with 1 capsule daily and gradually increase to 3 capsules daily.

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP2423

Life Extension directions say to take 3 capsules per day. It's odd how they can come up with different dosing strategies.

There is some discussion of Mag threonate here:
http://examine.com/supplements/Magnesium/#summary16-6

"...toxicity of MgT has not been sufficiently explored; it would be prudent to avoid an excessive dose of MgT. Conversely, MgT may be the only form of Magnesium able to increase memory formation (demonstrated in rats) because it can pass regulation; the topic of MgT is a novel one that is currently understudied."
"Magensium L-Threonate appears to be able to enhance neural magnesium levels to a supraphysiological level even when at a moderate dose and may be a good choice for cognitive enhancement."

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't care what LE says. I took one capsule at 7 a.m.and it felt like I had taken Ritalin. Same thing with 1/2 cap this morning.

The same thing happened with Baclofen that some people take to sleep.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I don't care what LE says. I took one capsule at 7 a.m.and it felt like I had taken Ritalin. Same thing with 1/2 cap this morning.

The same thing happened with Baclofen that some people take to sleep.

At least Source Naturals realizes that some people may be sensitive, and so their directions reflect that. Maybe Life Extension needs to pay attention!

We're all different. Benadryl makes my hyper so I never take it. Other antihistamines are OK.

Sorry to hear that this supp didn't work for you. You can return it to LE for a refund if that's where you purchased it. You have a year to do that. It would take me that long to get around to doing that.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have emailed Life Extension about this adverse event and I already got a refund from the seller. I take other things from Life Extension so I tend to think it's something in the magnesium. Who knows. But I'm out.

Dreambirdie

work in progress

I had the same reaction to the LE magnesium threonate. I have seen this happen before with things that are supposed to be calming making me hyper.

I gave it to my partner, who is healthy, and he had no problems with it.

perchance dreamer

Magnesium threonate can be overstimulating for some people. Sabre Sciences makes iMagT, which is powdered and contains 200 MG of magnesium threonate and 1500 MG of inositol. The inositol keeps the threonate from being overstimulating for me. Still, I take just 1/2 dose.

You might consider taking inositol powder with your threonate to see if keeps you from getting overstimulated. The powder would give you flexibility in dosing.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.

perchance dreamer

Magnesium threonate has more of an effect on the brain than other forms. I take it because my father had Alzheimer's, so I take several supplements that might help with brain function. I run these supplements past my nutritionist and the doctor who treats me for fibro and CFS.

Minkeygirl, another thought is to open your capsule and throw away 1/2 of it. You might ask your doctor if doing that and getting used to it slowly before going up to a full capsule could help you tolerate it.

I have a big drawer that I refer to as my supplement graveyard, so I know what you mean about another one biting the dust. If something disagrees with me, I try to figure out if taking less or making some other adjustment will help. Good luck!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Minkeygirl, another thought is to open your capsule and throw away 1/2 of it. You might ask your doctor if doing that and getting used to it slowly before going up to a full capsule could help you tolerate it.

If you notice in my original post I did say I took 1/2 a capsule with the same results. My doc told me why this one vs others but I have no memory so don't remember. it does cross the blood brain barrier.

SOC

LE also makes a powdered form which would allow one to control the dose more closely. This could be particularly useful if one is sensitive to Mag-l-threonate.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Like I said. I will discuss it with my doctor. I don't think it's that important in the scheme of things for me to take and I'd rather spend my money on something else I definitely need.

Allyson

Magnesium threonate has more of an effect on the brain than other forms. I take it because my father had Alzheimer's, so I take several supplements that might help with brain function. I run these supplements past my nutritionist and the doctor who treats me for fibro and CFS.

I have a big drawer that I refer to as my supplement graveyard, so I know what you mean about another one biting the dust. If something disagrees with me, I try to figure out if taking less or making some other adjustment will help. Good luck!

yes I have a big box of supps too alas! not tried mg threonate but many vitamin supps keep me awake so I stop taking them after they do it a few times

I find this especially with B vitamins but also anything in some brands

ALly

outdamnspot

I'm finding Magnesium Threonate stimulating as well, though it's only my 2nd day taking 1 cap of the Source Naturals.

Do some people here find all magnesium stimulating (I could've sworn I did, but memory is spotty) ..is it dose-dependent? Any other forms I could try that might be more calming?

outdamnspot

The stimulation will calm down after a few days. It actually helps me sleep and relax.

I'll give it some time then .. though I have a bad track-record with NMDA antagonists, despite them being useful for certain clusters of my symptoms ..

oh and hi, adreno! I used to post on mindnandmuscle as "lucky pierre" (still on longecity)