• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What's a good blood pressure monitor?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
My doctor suggested I get one and I have no idea. Here is my criteria.

1. Simple and brainless so even someone with only one working brain cell can use it. Wrist would be easier for me.

2. Affordable. I am on disability. I cannot and will not spend $100 on this. $50 is about my max.

3. Can get it online.

I saw this one. Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D9P1A8...TF8&colid=1BKT128P7GUR8&coliid=I2KYERESKLJLAF

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

1. Simple and brainless so even someone with only one working brain cell can use it. Wrist would be easier for me.

2. Affordable. I am on disability. I cannot and will not spend $100 on this. $50 is about my max.

3. Can get it online.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D9P1A8...TF8&colid=1BKT128P7GUR8&coliid=I2KYERESKLJLAF

When I bought mine, my local pharmacy (CVS) had coupons available so that I got it at a really low price. When I asked they said that the major pharmacy chains all had coupons and that they rotated them between brands. This was a few years ago but may still be the case.

My doc recommended (and I personally like) one that you pump up with a squeeze bulb, but has a digital read out and memory. I like this because some of the automatic ones squeeze much more than is necessary for someone who usually has low BP. This is the one I have--I used to take it to the doc's office so he could scroll through the memory and see my BP pattern. It also gave the same reading as his in the office when we compared them:

http://www.amazon.com/CVS-MANUAL-In...94&sr=8-8&keywords=cvs+blood+pressure+monitor

Maybe a friend could check out what is available at Walgreens or CVS before you buy one online.

Sushi

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
My blood pressure is fine and always has been. She suggested I get it to go along with an rx for clonidine.

I may have a problem getting that on my upper arm since I'm alone and squeezing a ball is probably too tiring for me at this point.

I have no help so I have to find something on line.

That is the price I like though so maybe I have to reconsider. Still not sure I can get around my arm.

Last edited:

Sushi

My blood pressure is fine and always has been. She suggested I get it to go along with an rx for clonidine.

I may have a problem getting that on my upper arm since I'm alone and squeezing a ball is probably too tiring for me at this point.

I have no help so I have to find something on line.

That is the price I like though so maybe I have to reconsider. Still not sure I can get around my arm.

I don't find it difficult to get it on my arm. It has arrows to show you where to place it and you just slip it up your arm and fasten the velcro. They also have the automatic pump ones for a bit more:

http://www.amazon.com/CVS-MANUAL-In...94&sr=8-8&keywords=cvs+blood+pressure+monitor

Sushi

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I bought this in October 2012 and have been fairly happy with it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H468S8

Right now it's going for $54.90 AND there is a 20% OFF coupon so that brings the cost down considerably. Those coupons aren't there forever so I would try to make a decision in a few days if you can.

I have an arm that's right between the standard and large size, so this self-adjusting cuff works well. There might be other Omron models you'd prefer here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...3760931,n:3775161,n:3777131,n:3777151,k:omron

Several other models have the 20% off promotion also. Under the description it will say "FREE Shipping and 1 more promotion." A wrist model is the #1 seller, but I prefer an upper arm model as I don't trust wrist readings. I can't give you any more info than that, it's just a personal bias.

Good luck with your shopping.

Sushi

thanks @Sushi Is there a difference in accuracy between a wrist one and one for the upper arm?

The American Heart Association recommends an automatic, cuff-style, bicep (upper-arm) monitor. Wrist and finger monitors are not recommended because they yield less reliable readings.
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...Blood-Pressure-Monitor_UCM_303322_Article.jsp

However the Omron site says they are equal.

Then read here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...rs/wrist-blood-pressure-monitors/faq-20057802

And here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/226183-wrist-blood-pressure-cuff-vs-arm-blood-pressure-cuff/

Seems like you have to be very careful with position with wrist monitors in order to get an accurate reading.

Sushi

barbc56

This is a bit OT but good advice after getting a BP device..

My doctor had me bring my machine to her office to see if my device was getting the same or at least close to the same readings she was getting.

This means I can be pretty sure the readings I get at home are consistant with hers.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'll probably get one like Sushi suggested when I see what my monthly expenses look like.

My BP is never a problem. I could feel like total crap and my BP will be fine. She just suggested it since I'm going to try clonidine and she said my BP shouldn't go below 100. I've taken clonidine before with no problems so it's more to make her happy. And that's only if I like the clonidine.

Raindrop

The last two Cardiologists I have had both recommended the Omron. I was told that the wrist and
anything other than the Upper Arm type are not as accurate. I am on my second Omron, because
after about 2 or 3 years there was a malfunction. Omron will give you a long (lifetime?) warranty
and so they replaced it with a new one. Is digital with memory and everything you would want.
It is REALLY easy to use and also *not as noisy* as most of them, which makes me try to
stay calmer. (Hate taking my BP because it fluctuates from very high to very low constantly and it
drives me nuts.) I know that Costco sells them cheaply, but you may also use a coupon from
CVS which will save you $ as well. I would call around. Omron Digital Upper Arm Cuff type
is Sooo easy to put on!!!!

Allyson

thanks @Sushi Is there a difference in accuracy between a wrist one and one for the upper arm?

I have heard the wrist one is not as accurate - on the POTS and EDS facebook pages there are often posts about good ones for about 50 dollars on line - some keep a record you can show to your doc of your readings

Good to do them at home as you get mor accurate readings in the quiet and privacy than you do in docs or hospitals with the POTstress of travel, elevators and lights etc

ALly

Last edited:

xchocoholic

I bought a Life Source wrist monitor at Big Lots for about $25 6-7 years ago and it's still working. I may have had to replace the battery but that's it.

Once I saw what my bp and hr were doing it helped me understand why I felt so crappy after I'd been upright for about 10 minutes. Now I recognize my POTS when it happens and know I need to lay down without using the monitor.

Just fyi ... My hr doesn't actually normalize until after I've been supine for an hour.
If I get up sooner my hr goes right back to my POTS hr.

tc .. x

Allyson

I bought a Life Source wrist monitor at Big Lots for about $25 6-7 years ago and it's still working. I may have had to replace the battery but that's it.

Once I saw what my bp and hr were doing it helped me understand why I felt so crappy after I'd been upright for about 10 minutes. Now I recognize my POTS when it happens and know I need to lay down without using the monitor.

Just fyi ... My hr doesn't actually normalize until after I've been supine for an hour.
If I get up sooner my hr goes right back to my POTS hr.

tc .. x

Great to hear Xchoc - interesting that 10 mins upright is enough to cause harm

if more of us do and record this we might get some interesting data

Ally

xchocoholic

I have OH so I start feeling light headed after 3 minutes but as long as I'm standing still my symptoms just get more unbearable. I'm sure people standing in line anywhere near me think I'm a whiney bitch. I've started moving when I have to stand in line now. That's better for me but I get a lot of weird looks. Oh well ...

I wish I'd known 24 years ago the importance of being supine not just resting. And the part about it taking an hour. None of my doctors caught that.

tc .. x

mermaid

I bought a cheap arm Omron a year ago and have realised that it's been wrong from the start - at least the diastolic is way out. I thought I was iller than I am as it was so low :). At the GP my diastolic is 14 points higher than at home, and even my old wrist monitor gives a better reading. Curiously the systolic is quite accurate though.

Anyway, no problem re getting it sent to them and fixed. There is a 3 yrs guarantee on it.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I have OH so I start feeling light headed after 3 minutes but as long as I'm standing still my symptoms just get more unbearable. I'm sure people standing in line anywhere near me think I'm a whiney bitch. I've started moving when I have to stand in line now. That's better for me but I get a lot of weird looks. Oh well ...

I wish I'd known 24 years ago the importance of being supine not just resting. And the part about it taking an hour. None of my doctors caught that.

tc .. x

I have sat down in line at the grocery store when the line wasn't moving, like when someone forgets their money! I did get weird looks, but that's their problem, not mine!

3. Can get it online.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Arm-Digital-Blood-Pressure-monitor-Large-LCD-features-memory-function-/371180101312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566c0edec0
this one seems great! i want to purchase one for my papa.

Sushi

Has anyone bought the Omron 7 Series BP652 Blood pressure monitor? It is a wrist monitor. We've read that they are not as accurate but I just came from a doctor who is using one and the reading was the same as is usual with the upper arm monitor. It was just so much more comfortable!
upload_2015-3-6_18-15-17.png

Thoughts from users?
Sushi