• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxidative Stress lowering protocols? (Dr. Ben Lynch)

Bdeep86

Hey everyone, a couple days ago on Dr. Lynch's facebook page he mentioned about how introducing methylfolate with high oxidative stress will add fuel to the fire. I found this interesting because I myself had a theory similar to this and figured this is what was happening to me. He said you have to lower the oxidative stress first. Unfortunately I may have got there too late because when I asked what he does for that he didn't reply. Does anyone here know any methods on doing this or what he does for it?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hey everyone, a couple days ago on Dr. Lynch's facebook page he mentioned about how introducing methylfolate with high oxidative stress will add fuel to the fire. I found this interesting because I myself had a theory similar to this and figured this is what was happening to me. He said you have to lower the oxidative stress first. Unfortunately I may have got there too late because when I asked what he does for that he didn't reply. Does anyone here know any methods on doing this or what he does for it?

Antioxidants?

Sushi

leela

You could look at Martin Pall's theory and protocol to glean ideas. The full protocol is a truckload of supplements;
too much for me to swallow, quite literally o_O
Still, you might see something there that makes sense.

Bdeep86

Yeah I have seen the Pall protocol, some of those will help but I think more advanced measure may need to be taken as I have serious issues with oxidative stress.

Violeta

You're welcome. It seems to be really helping me. I made it through two really busy days in a row. I can't remember exactly when I started taking it, sometime last week.

Violeta

I haven't been taking it on a daily basis. I was focusing on a probiotic and B2, and putting aside the chaga and reishi. (I need reishi, too)

My friend at work who has skin cancer and her husband who is a fireman are very consistent with it and having good results. I heard my friend say that she finally got a clear reading on her most recent skin checkup.

I am getting back on both of the mushrooms today! Have you tried chaga?

Martial

Reishi Is the only mushroom product I heard of, going to look into chaga though..

glutathione, resveratrol, chlorella, and various other herbs that I found in immune support packages, do not remember the names though.. Really it seems like there are thousands of herbs and different things that work for this though, vitamin D, Zinc, and Vitamin C all obviously raise the immune system as well.

Violeta

Mushrooms can have different actions, as I found out at this site.

http://www.shen-nong.com/eng/exam/specialties_menopause_herbs.html

I had been taking reishi and cordyceps, but something was wrong and I found the site above. See how cordyceps and reishi have opposing action. I don't know where the chaga mushroom would be. Because of finding that site, I stopped the cordyceps and added in corydalis for a while. It worked well for pain issues.

After I quite the cordyceps is when I started the chaga. It does help, but I need the reishi because of frequent urination which has to do with a lack of vasopressin, as far as I can tell, anyway. No doctor was ever able to figure out the problem. That was actually my first health issues which started when I was very young. It's related somehow to the adrenals. Reishi is very good for the adrenals, which happen to be a branch of the immune system.

Which is why I like reishi so much, it balances out the immune system. I am getting back on both reishi and chaga today because of having a headache and spinal pain for two days.

Back to the chaga mushroom, my friend and I both started with chaga from Chaga Mountain, and it is good quality. For her second purchase she bought the www.eartherbs.com brand, and said it is comparable to the Chaga Mountain, but it is more economical. My second purchase of chaga was from Sayan. It's a powder, 1/4 tsp makes a rich 6 to 8 ounce drink that is similar to coffee but is very soothing.

PDXhausted

I haven't tried any of the mushrooms. I'm on antibiotics right now because I had some Lyme antibodies show up on a western blot. My ND wanted me to try cordyceps and Chinese skullcap-- I believe its part of the Buhner protocol for co-infections-- so I've been trying to comb through the forums to see if anyone has seen benefit from those, and I started looking at other mushrooms too. I haven't found a whole lot of CFS people that claim benefit though :/ I have ordered the cordyceps to try, and I was debating about the Chaga. So we'll see :)

I just looked over that chart-- that is interesting. What did you think of the cordyceps? Did it affect your HPA in a negative way?

Violeta

I'm not sure if the cordyceps was affecting the HPA, all I know is that the benefits that I had been receiving from the reishi seemed to diminish while I was taking it. Then I found that chart, and quite a few of the things in the group with cordyceps bother me, too. So I just cut it out. It's tricky.

PDXhausted

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like I will need to trial and error it. I just noticed the chinese skullcap is on the same side of the chart as the cordyceps, so we'll see what effects I get... I'll admit I'm not expecting any miracles, but I figure its at least worth a try :) If those turn out bad maybe I'll try reishi or something from the other side.

Helen

Vitamin B12 is an antioxidant, so in a full methylation protocol, the cobalamin add to the antioxidants too.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19409980

Free Radic Biol Med. 2009 Jul 15;47(2):184-8. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2009.04.023. Epub 2009 May 3.
A novel role for vitamin B(12): Cobalamins are intracellular antioxidants in vitro.
Birch CS, Brasch NE, McCaddon A, Williams JH.
Author information

Abstract
Oxidative stress is a feature of many chronic inflammatory diseases. Such diseases are associated with up-regulation of a vitamin B(12) (cobalamin) blood transport protein and its membrane receptor, suggesting a link between cobalamin and the cellular response to inflammation. The ability of cobalamin to regulate inflammatory cytokines suggests that it may have antioxidative properties. Here we show that cobalamins, including the novel thiolatocobalamins N-acetyl-l-cysteinylcobalamin and glutathionylcobalamin, are remarkably effective antioxidants in vitro. We also show that thiolatocobalamins have superior efficacy compared with other cobalamin forms, other cobalamins in combination with N-acetyl-l-cysteine (NAC) or glutathione (GSH), and NAC or GSH alone. Pretreatment of Sk-Hep-1 cells with thiolatocobalamins afforded robust protection (>90% cell survival) against exposure to 30 microM concentrations of the pro-oxidants homocysteine and hydrogen peroxide. The compounds inhibited intracellular peroxide production, maintained intracellular glutathione levels, and prevented apoptotic and necrotic cell death. Moreover, thiolatocobalamins are remarkably nontoxic in vitro at supraphysiological concentrations (>2 mM). Our results demonstrate that thiolatocobalamins act as powerful but benign antioxidants at pharmacological concentrations. Because inflammatory oxidative stress is a component of many conditions, including atherosclerosis, dementia, and trauma, their utility in treating such disorders merits further investigation.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

adreno

PR activist
Ben Lynch has his own anti-inflammatory /antioxidant protocol on his website.

Martial

I haven't tried any of the mushrooms. I'm on antibiotics right now because I had some Lyme antibodies show up on a western blot. My ND wanted me to try cordyceps and Chinese skullcap-- I believe its part of the Buhner protocol for co-infections-- so I've been trying to comb through the forums to see if anyone has seen benefit from those, and I started looking at other mushrooms too. I haven't found a whole lot of CFS people that claim benefit though :/ I have ordered the cordyceps to try, and I was debating about the Chaga. So we'll see :)

I just looked over that chart-- that is interesting. What did you think of the cordyceps? Did it affect your HPA in a negative way?

If you tested positive for lyme disease then I think you found your the source of your CFS diagnosis.. Have you checked into going to an LLMD?

also I can PM you an awesome protocol in eradicating the bacteria from your system. Most doctors do not put people on long enough therapy to kill all strains of the spirochetes and most abx do not kill all co infections.. They can also go into hiding from abx therapy and form cysts which can not be penetrated by pharm grade abx.. There is also the issue of bio films.

Herbal antibiotic treatments of Banderol, and Samento as a combo blend has been shown to be most effective in eradicating all strands of the bacteria, it also can past the barriers of cysts and bio films.. This would need to be a treatment that is consistent for about a year to show long term effect though!

Violeta

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like I will need to trial and error it. I just noticed the chinese skullcap is on the same side of the chart as the cordyceps, so we'll see what effects I get... I'll admit I'm not expecting any miracles, but I figure its at least worth a try :) If those turn out bad maybe I'll try reishi or something from the other side.

Keep us posted on how it goes. I didn't know anything about skullcap so I looked it up. Here's a link to what Gaia Herbs has written about it;

http://www.gaiaherbs.com/products/ingredient/235/Chinese-Skullcap

It does sound good for clearing out pathogens. That's interesting about taking the skullcap and cordyceps. I'll have to look up Buhner.

PDXhausted

@Martial I hope that treating Lyme will improve my health, but my symptoms seem more CFS than Lyme (i.e. I have really bad PEM and no joint pain, no mental symptoms, etc) plus I only had three bands show up on my Igenex western blot which seems a little equivocal, though one band was specific to Borrelia. But that said, I am seeing a LLND right now who I really like, and I'm giving her treatments a fair shot and really hoping for the best. She thinks I may have mycoplasma, hence the Buhner mycoplasma protocol. I'd love to hear your bacterial protocol though. I'm about 2.5 months into antibiotics... she thinks I may need to be on them for two years, which to be honest, makes me pretty nervous, especially given how screwed up my gut is at the moment. Herbs sound not quite as scary to me.

@Violeta I'll keep you posted :) I still am trying to get my gut sorted out from the antibiotics before I add new stuff in, so it'll probably be a bit before I can fairly test it.

Sorry to take this thread so far off topic! In addition to the immunomodulating properties of mushrooms, the affect on SOD is really interesting, which is why they seem pretty intriguing to me.

Martial

@PDXhausted

Lyme can also cause PEM a specific co infection is also viral by nature which can trigger this.. It is possible that you also co morbid CFS resulting from something else, or you had a genetic susceptibility to C.F.S. which lyme triggered. Also keep in mind POTS/OI can cause major PEM and other symptoms of CFS which can be very common when you have active infection.. Not everyone gets the same symptoms as well. I responded to your PM and gave you my full protocol! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Also on the side try and get an MRI spect scan of the brain if you can.. You may have hypo perfusion from the lyme infection and it would be helpful to know if that is the case.