• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

white tongue+angular chelitis/cluster sores: meb12+metafolin or fish oil?

Hi everyone,

I began on meb12 (the Enzymatic Therapy Chewable B12 sublingual tablets touted so regularly here) a week ago (beginning on 1/4 tablet for three days, then 1/2 for 4 days, and today I'm up to 1) and Solgar Metafolin (l-methylfolate) 5 days ago. If it's of any importance, I had taken BetterYou B12 spray (the one with chromium and green tea extract) a few times previously, but not consistently, over the last fortnight. I began on fish oil vitamin A two weeks ago, as I have systemic candida and apparently vitamin A in the fish oil form needs to be supplemented in this disease.

I didn't note exactly when the coldsore-like lesions began appearing, but it definitely coincided either with the meb12 and/or the metafolin. It began with one on my lower lip and this morning I woke up with what appears to be angular chelitis; tiny clusters of sores at the corners of my mouth. I've noticed that that my tongue has also gone white; although to be fair I've had white patches on my tongue for over a year, but never as bad as this.

I have been taking adob12 (HHI MegaDrops) and l-carnitine (Jarrow Formulas liquid freebase) for several weeks, too. I wasn't noticing any benefits from them, so I decided to add the other members of @Freddd 's deadlock quartet.

I'm wondering if starting on the methyl supps has induced a deficiency elsewhere? The wikipedia article lists numerous nutritional deficiencies and conditions, most of which I have and am taking supplements for (zinc picolinate; copper citrate; b1, b2, NADH, b5 (in the Jarrow l-carnitine), whether or not they're being absorbed I do not know, and as I cannot find transdermal forms I'm stumped for what to do), but I've never experiencied angular chelitis until now. Could it be a biotin deficiency, or a requirement to increase my other b vits?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Violeta

There's a thread here called B2 I love you that might help you figure out what's wrong. In a nutshell, there is information about B2 getting depleted because of other B vitamins. I guess the multi's don't have enough to cover expenditure.

Freddd

Hi everyone,

I began on meb12 (the Enzymatic Therapy Chewable B12 sublingual tablets touted so regularly here) a week ago (beginning on 1/4 tablet for three days, then 1/2 for 4 days, and today I'm up to 1) and Solgar Metafolin (l-methylfolate) 5 days ago. If it's of any importance, I had taken BetterYou B12 spray (the one with chromium and green tea extract) a few times previously, but not consistently, over the last fortnight. I began on fish oil vitamin A two weeks ago, as I have systemic candida and apparently vitamin A in the fish oil form needs to be supplemented in this disease.

I didn't note exactly when the coldsore-like lesions began appearing, but it definitely coincided either with the meb12 and/or the metafolin. It began with one on my lower lip and this morning I woke up with what appears to be angular chelitis; tiny clusters of sores at the corners of my mouth. I've noticed that that my tongue has also gone white; although to be fair I've had white patches on my tongue for over a year, but never as bad as this.

I have been taking adob12 (HHI MegaDrops) and l-carnitine (Jarrow Formulas liquid freebase) for several weeks, too. I wasn't noticing any benefits from them, so I decided to add the other members of @Freddd 's deadlock quartet.

I'm wondering if starting on the methyl supps has induced a deficiency elsewhere? The wikipedia article lists numerous nutritional deficiencies and conditions, most of which I have and am taking supplements for (zinc picolinate; copper citrate; b1, b2, NADH, b5 (in the Jarrow l-carnitine), whether or not they're being absorbed I do not know, and as I cannot find transdermal forms I'm stumped for what to do), but I've never experiencied angular chelitis until now. Could it be a biotin deficiency, or a requirement to increase my other b vits?

Any help would be much appreciated.

The angular cheilitis is often the an early step in donut hole folate deficiency. It is often accompanied within a day or two by edema, IBS and sometimes moods and other changes. In that case more methylfolate helps very quickly. Of course if a person isn't already taking the basics it can be any of the other ones mentioned as well making it a much tougher problem.

@Freddd, yes, my bowels have become very loose (previously I was constipated and my stools were normally very hard) and today I've had several incidences of completely watery stools. I've definitely been more anxious. Over the past week I've also completely lost my appetite, too.

Freddd

@Freddd, yes, my bowels have become very loose (previously I was constipated and my stools were normally very hard) and today I've had several incidences of completely watery stools. I've definitely been more anxious. Over the past week I've also completely lost my appetite, too.

Hi Oh_noes,

That sounds like methylfolate in the donut hole. You could try increasing. When That happens to me I double the total dose, but spread over several partial doses over the day. For me lately I have all those fast symptoms under control and the only one I know that still pops up sometimes is the ragged skin at fingertips and nails. That seems to take longer. That was the only one that came back at 4mg and is gone at 8mg. Now that things are stable it is easier to get rid of certain symptoms and they stay gone.

@Freddd ahh, perhaps that's it. Just to clarify, do you mean metafolin (such as the Solgar brand tablets, which is calcium-l-methylfolate) or 5-methylfolate (or are they more or less sinonimous)?

Any ideas about the white tongue, though? I'm on an anti-candida protocol (2 tsp ACV prior to each meal - although recently 'meals' means a few small bites of food, as that's all I can manage - and 20-30g coconut oil in a hot drink), which) and there is some contention as to whether the white tongue is symptomatic of die off. I would usually try to investigate the white tongue further, but I'm in a highly anxious state at the moment, and I'm finding trying to research these things is affecting me much more than it's ever done.

Freddd

@Freddd ahh, perhaps that's it. Just to clarify, do you mean metafolin (such as the Solgar brand tablets, which is calcium-l-methylfolate) or 5-methylfolate (or are they more or less sinonimous)?

Any ideas about the white tongue, though? I'm on an anti-candida protocol (2 tsp ACV prior to each meal - although recently 'meals' means a few small bites of food, as that's all I can manage - and 20-30g coconut oil in a hot drink), which) and there is some contention as to whether the white tongue is symptomatic of die off. I would usually try to investigate the white tongue further, but I'm in a highly anxious state at the moment, and I'm finding trying to research these things is affecting me much more than it's ever done.

You might look on the list of symptoms for "coated tongue". I know that shows up frequently in all this but just where, I'm not sure. I had periods of that, more than a decade and no trace of it since it disappeared some time in the past decade. Some of these things just fade away and never announce that they are going or won't be back. The only thing is when something draws our attention to it.

sflorence

Not sure if you are still around on this forum, but I just found a magic trick to temporarly get rid of white tongue.

I wouldn't do this all the time, so only do it when you need to.

1. But a pancreas enzyme blend (not plant source)
2. Dump on tounge
3. Swish in mouth for at least 2 minutes, then swallow
4. Brush tongue

Welcome to the life of a pink tongue :)

This will only last for a few days so don't expect a permanent cure.