• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Racing heart at night

Spinney Lainey

Anyone else have a racing heart at night, preventing them from sleeping? When I'm in this state, no amount of meditation will slow my heart down.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Anyone else have a racing heart at night, preventing them from sleeping? When I'm in this state, no amount of meditation will slow my heart down.

Is it just when you lie on one side? I have had this for years, although mine is usually short-lived and appears when I first lie down.

I have recently found that lying on my left side is worse for triggering it, and sometimes I don't get it at all when lying on my back or right side.

You might find this related thread interesting.

Spinney Lainey

Is it just when you lie on one side? I have had this for years, although mine is usually short-lived and appears when I first lie down.

I have recently found that lying on my left side is worse for triggering it, and sometimes I don't get it at all when lying on my back or right side.

You might find this related thread interesting.

No, it's nothing to do with the way I lie and not just when I lie down. I just get a racing heart quite frequently and only notice it when lying down, trying to sleep and it keeps me awake.

joshi81

when from standing i lie down on the bed i have it (not tha contrary) i had it for years, it lasts a little bit it's like due to the change of position from standing to lie down

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just started a thread about this. I can feel my heart beating all the time when I am lying down. It doesn't matter what side I'm on. I'm not lightheaded, no problems from sitting to standing or vice versa. My resting pulse just now is 66.

Some docs, Cheney and Lerner believe the virus is in our hearts .

@MeSci I've been reading that laying on the left side is not good. Exacerbates something but I forget! sorry.

@Spinney Lainey I also have racing thoughts when this happens. I found Tizanidine helps a lot.

Last edited:

A zombie

did you do a saliva test OR a blood test? if it was done via blood , it is not accurate.

A zombie

could be thyroid, too?
I would also ask to see your adrenal saliva test. Just to make sure. DR's aren't always on the functional level :)
Or i think like someone else said, hypoglycemia, which i believe goes hand-in-hand with AF. Try eating a high protein snack before bed, like peanut butter and apple, or yogurt 9if you tolerate dairy)

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Thanks all. I've check out or tried a lot if not all if what you've suggested.

I've had this at various times through out the years. I just think it's an ME symptom for me.

Sparrowhawk

Had this just last night, applied topical magnesium to my calves and things settled down. I keep a finger oxygen/pulse monitor in my pillow case so if I wake up with tachycardia I can validate it is not just in my head. Resting pulse of 78-80 isn't normal for me, I have to hit 75 or below to sleep.

My weird cardiac symptoms wax and wane. I wish you luck sorting this out. Do review all your supplements and or meds to see if this might be a side effect.

Spinney Lainey

could be thyroid, too?
I would also ask to see your adrenal saliva test. Just to make sure. DR's aren't always on the functional level :)
Or i think like someone else said, hypoglycemia, which i believe goes hand-in-hand with AF. Try eating a high protein snack before bed, like peanut butter and apple, or yogurt 9if you tolerate dairy)

I had my thyroid tested and it's definitely not that. I definitely have hypoglycemia and always eat before bed because I get really hungry.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
As quickly as it started it is now gone. For me I think it is just one of those things that cycles. While I'm in it, it SUCKS!

Hanna

I've got the same problem, heart's pounding at night, symptom that comes and goes. Didn't find the reason, nor a supplement that helps. Generally, it is during the first hours after I go to bed and settle down from around 2:00-3:00 a.m.
Sometimes, breast/ribs auto-massage/tapping helps for me... weird.