• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

bone broths

You may be aware that many diets advocate drinking a few cups of bone broth per day in order to heal the gut (my own issue is IBS and painful sensitivity to a wide range of foods). These sources go on to list the many things in bone broth such as L-Glutamine, Glycine, etc. which are all good for the gut.

I really don't like to cook, I'm really low in energy and don't want to shop for bones. so I was wondering if someone could identify the important factors and help me buy them separately as supplements. Like Glutamine, Glycine, etc.

Mike

Seven7

Seven
Is funny you mentioned this, I have been reading on the same, So I started cooking the bones, and long story short I do not have the time nor the desire (for now) to do so as often as I need to. So I started research and came across gelatin and Collagen reviews and ended up buying it as a powder I add to by drinks. I am slowly adding bones soup into my diet. My main reason for using it is muscle and Joint pain.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Collagen-Hydrolysate-16-Ounce/dp/B0091MQ5IE/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2

The only thing I have noticed is beautiful skin (been on it a week or so), I have been battling pimples due to b12 and this has cleared my completion, not so much relieve from the pain yet. Will blog about it if I get good results.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Inester7. If you aren't allergic to shell fish, I have gotten a lot of joint pain relief from Sea Mussel.

I use Food Science if Vermont. If I don't take it for a few days I really notice the pain in my hips.

Bone broth not possible for me right now.

South

The easiest way I have found:

Buy chicken wings - they have lots of collagen as compared to other chicken parts, and quite a high ratio of bone to meat. And this way you don't have to go ask any grocery clerk if they sell "bones", you can just buy the package of wings.

Put in a slow cooker, add water, set on low overnight.

Next day use a slotted spoon to remove bones/ solid pieces (toss those). The crock from the slow cooker now has only the liquid. Set in fridge. Later that day or evening, remove the fat which has now solidified on the top.

That's it!

end

The easiest way I have found:

Buy chicken wings - they have lots of collagen as compared to other chicken parts, and quite a high ratio of bone to meat. And this way you don't have to go ask any grocery clerk if they sell "bones", you can just buy the package of wings.

Put in a slow cooker, add water, set on low overnight.

Next day use a slotted spoon to remove bones/ solid pieces (toss those). The crock from the slow cooker now has only the liquid. Set in fridge. Later that day or evening, remove the fat which has now solidified on the top.

That's it!

Awsome post!

Chicken wings/feet/legs supply a large amount of gelatin which has been touted as a powerful anti cellulite agent

Supplements are almost always 2nd best and the multiple truly organic minerals that your body understands and other factors bone broths provide are not easy to emulate

Helpful to add half a squeeze of lemon or some apple cider vinegar which will help draw the nutrients out of the bones

-Like mentioned else where on this forum the sedation one feels after a good bone broth when timed well, aids sleep(has for me)

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@mike1127, @lnester7, @minkeygirl - it just occured to me to search my online grocery store for 'stock' as opposed to 'broth' and, among lots of different products, I found a couple that appear to be proper bone broth, and organic at that. Result!

They're Laverstoke Park Organic Beef Stock and Laverstoke Park Organic Lamb Stock, both £3 per 450g. Reviews say that they both turn to jelly when left to cool so must be the real deal.

Here they are on Ocado's site (Waitrose online):

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...rentContainer=SEARCHlaverstoke+park_SHELFVIEW

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...rentContainer=SEARCHlaverstoke+park_SHELFVIEW

This kind of cooking is completely beyond me in my state of health so I'm pleased to have found this.

If you're looking for this outside the UK (or outside Ocado's catchment area), the thing to do might be to search on both 'broth' and 'stock' and look at the ones that are sold in liquid form and read up on them.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Don't laugh it me but I lost track of why we want this? I'm getting a grocery order together and I want to know why I'm buying this! LOL

(my brain can't handle going back over the thread).

Sasha

Fine, thank you

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Sasha are you kidding? I can barely read what you read. I needed dumbed down. @Inester7 Thanks very much.

For those who can handle shellfish I get a lot of relief from Sea Mussel.

I've found that a pressure cooker is sooo much better than a slow cooker. It's much faster and since it's sealed the odor isn't a problem. The best part is that the pressure cooker does a much better job-makes it very easy to make broth that jells. In addition to chicken wings oxtail is very good. A mix of cartilage, bone and a little meat works best. The flavor is better if the parts are roasted in the oven first.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@mike1127, @lnester7, @minkeygirl - it just occured to me to search my online grocery store for 'stock' as opposed to 'broth' and, among lots of different products, I found a couple that appear to be proper bone broth, and organic at that. Result!

They're Laverstoke Park Organic Beef Stock and Laverstoke Park Organic Lamb Stock, both £3 per 450g. Reviews say that they both turn to jelly when left to cool so must be the real deal.

Here they are on Ocado's site (Waitrose online):

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Laverstoke-Park-Organic-Beef-Stock/64871011?from=search&tags&param=laverstoke park stock&parentContainer=SEARCHlaverstoke park_SHELFVIEW

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Laverstoke-Park-Organic-Lamb-Stock/64901011?from=search&tags&param=laverstoke park stock&parentContainer=SEARCHlaverstoke park_SHELFVIEW

BTW, I've been buying these for the last couple of weeks and drinking them hot in a mug - about 250ml a day. Delicious! Especially the lamb one.

So pleased that despite the fact that I'm too ill to cook, I don't have to go without this stuff

Delicious! Especially the lamb one.

So pleased that despite the fact that I'm too ill to cook, I don't have to go without this stuff

I haven't found any in the States except expensive jars. I want a powdered stock from pastured bones, or concentrated paste doesn't sound good but I would be happy if I didn't have to pressure cook bones. If not concentrated they are expensive to ship.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Do you eat the actual chicken and veggies with the broth or just the soup?

Sorry, I don't understand the context of your question (it's a long time since I was on this thread!) but I would drink the broth usually on its own - it doesn't have bits floating around in it. Broth is made out of bones rather than flesh. The stuff I buy is store-bought - I don't know if people who do this at home take the veggies out.

I hope I've answered your question but I'm not sure I have!

Lynn

A pressure cooker makes making bone broth easy.

Last year I bought an electric pressure cooker just so I could make bone broth. I use the recipe from this site: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/16004110328/quick-pressure-cooker-bone-broth

Instead of the fish sauce I add about a teaspoon of Spike seasoning. For bones, I usually just put in the carcass of a roasted chicken from Costco (skin and bones). I set the pressure cooker for 2 hours. It does get a bit gelatinous.

For easy storage, I reduce the finished broth on a stove down to 1/4 of the liquid. I then put put 1/4 cup of the reduction into silicone muffin cups and freeze them. Once they are frozen I pop them out of the muffin cup and put them in a storage bag in the freezer.

When I want broth, I put the frozen broth in a mug, add 3/4 cup of water, then microwave for a couple of minutes. That way I can have lots of broth without taking up a lot of storage space.

I would never have guessed I would have enough energy to do this but the pressure cooker makes it pretty easy.

Lynn

wonderoushope

Does anyone know why I would start to feel a bit light headed/fluey when I drink chicken soup and bone broth soup? I also get the same effect from garlic. Before I was unwell I never used to have such reactions to the soup or garlic.

Do you think it's not a good idea to continue if I feel this way?

Seven7

Seven
Do you think it's not a good idea to continue if I feel this way?
I had a garlic allergy (since I put it on everything I thought everything made me sick) Also I am allergic to corn, The chicken got fed corn and I was reacting to the chicken. So could be you are reacting to the food. Check for food allergies / sensitivities.

SuzieSam

It could be the glutamine in the broth:

"Sadly, some people sensitive to MSG, react poorly to broth. Autistic children and others with sensitive and damaged guts often react to it even though they desperately need the gut healing that glutamine could assist."

"...many patients start out with a lightly cooked bone broth, progressing over time to long-cooked bone broth. The glutamine content of broth increases with cooking time as do the levels of all other amino acids."

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/bone-broth-msg-what-you-need-to-know/winter

I can hardly believe that I haven't made chicken soup yet this winter - I should be forcing broth on my vegetarian-but-has-chicken-soup teen daughter. She eats badly, is constipated, has Fibromyalgia... Definitely going to ease her into broth. I guess I should have it too. :thumbsup: