• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

every time I eat fat, my saliva has the same fat in it

Rlman

anyone have this problem and know the cause?

If I eat raw egg yolks, coconut oil, fatty raw milk, my spit becomes thick and fatty, as if the fat is in my spit, undigested. I have dry mouth and low amount of saliva. I know when I take many digestive enzymes the fat in the saliva goes away. I tried supplements with ox bile, did not feel a difference. Maybe it is low lipase but what would cause that? Also, coconut oil is supposed to bypass digestion and go straight to liver to be broken down. So makes me think something else. Maybe just being low in enzymes since have low saliva. I am very weak, basically bedridden.

Thanks!

Ambrosia_angel

Well I'm not sure your saliva is supposed to digest your food. It just mixes in with the food so it makes sense that it becomes a fatty and thick. The same thing happens so me and everyone I would have thought? I bring up phlegm from my chest when I eat but just ignore it now because it's just secondary to a chest infection I had a few months ago. Try not to focus on it x

Unless it really impairs your life. I wouldn't spend too much money on digestive enzymes for just that though. Do u have other tummy problems?

xchocoholic

I have this too but I don't have any answers for you. I'm a celiac with low elastase and missing gallbladder so I was chalking it up one of those.

I actually can't use much coconut oil because it comes back up on me. GERD. Too much avocado will too .

I never considered it a problem as I haven't noticed any permanent problems associated with this. I take digestive enzymes with every meal anyways tho.

Sorry to hear you're bedridden. You may want to see an integrative / functional doctor. They've helped me quite a bit.

Also, catseye was bedridden at one point. I believe her info is on her journey or intro thread.

tc ... x

Rlman

Well I'm not sure your saliva is supposed to digest your food. It just mixes in with the food so it makes sense that it becomes a fatty and thick. The same thing happens so me and everyone I would have thought? I bring up phlegm from my chest when I eat but just ignore it now because it's just secondary to a chest infection I had a few months ago. Try not to focus on it x

Unless it really impairs your life. I wouldn't spend too much money on digestive enzymes for just that though. Do u have other tummy problems?

Hi, I meant that after I chewed the food and swallowed it, then afterwards my saliva gets an unusual fatty texture. I did not mean while chewing the food.

Rlman

I have this too but I don't have any answers for you. I'm a celiac with low elastase and missing gallbladder so I was chalking it up one of those.

I actually can't use much coconut oil because it comes back up on me. GERD. Too much avocado will too .

I never considered it a problem as I haven't noticed any permanent problems associated with this. I take digestive enzymes with every meal anyways tho.

Sorry to hear you're bedridden. You may want to see an integrative / functional doctor. They've helped me quite a bit.

Also, catseye was bedridden at one point. I believe her info is on her journey or intro thread.

tc ... x

Thanks about catseye. I don't have GERD so far, just the fat comes through/into the saliva, not through the throat. I guess it would be more accurate to say I am bedroom ridden, since I can spend 6 hours a day on the comp, can walk a few steps.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Well I'm not sure your saliva is supposed to digest your food. It just mixes in with the food so it makes sense that it becomes a fatty and thick.

Starch digestion is started by saliva. This page tells you about the functions of saliva.

Hope you find solutions. I produce too much saliva when exposed to artificial perfumes, very rarely too little.

xchocoholic

Forgot to say, I eat foods that make me produce extra saliva on purpose as often as possible. Wasabi, salsa, etc .

I "think" I saw that recommended a few years ago when I was googling this problem.

Just in case you haven't noticed, many of us have food intolerances. Most of my symptoms are from that. I'm intolerant of gluten, dairy, soy corn and most chemicals. Imho avoiding these is better than feeling horrible 24/7.

tc .. x

antares4141

Rare occasions I've had this. I associated it with chemical exposure. While I believe I'm chemically sensitive. It usually takes me a lot to react. Like being locked in the elevator with somebody who has a ton of perfume on. That usually makes me lightheaded and dizzy. I repaired the drain pan on my dad's air-conditioner one time with fiberglass. And that's a particular time when I noticed it. Since I've been gluten-free I don't think I've had it ever and that's been three years now.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Rare occasions I've had this. I associated it with chemical exposure. While I believe I'm chemically sensitive. It usually takes me a lot to react. Like being locked in the elevator with somebody who has a ton of perfume on. That usually makes me lightheaded and dizzy. I repaired the drain pan on my dad's air-conditioner one time with fiberglass. And that's a particular time when I noticed it. Since I've been gluten-free I don't think I've had it ever and that's been three years now.

Oh yes! I hypersalivate when I get even a small whiff of artificial perfume, which happens several times most days due to my neighbours' use of toxic, stinking products. I then have to spend about 5 minutes spitting the foul stuff out. Sometimes it does taste greasy, sometimes frothy, maybe sometimes metallic. I went gluten-free 2 years ago but I still have this. I have a couple of genetic variations that reduce the body's ability to detox.

antares4141

Oh yes! I hypersalivate when I get even a small whiff of artificial perfume, which happens several times most days due to my neighbours' use of toxic, stinking products. I then have to spend about 5 minutes spitting the foul stuff out. Sometimes it does taste greasy, sometimes frothy, maybe sometimes metallic. I went gluten-free 2 years ago but I still have this. I have a couple of genetic variations that reduce the body's ability to detox.
I don't think I process chemicals the same way as normal people. I can remember I was frying some potatoes and forgot about them cause the phone rang. When I came back my fridge sitting next to the fryer was on fire. I took a deep breath before I realized what was happening. I was nauseous weak and had a light headed or seasickness like sensation for the next 14 hours. Before I got sick I was exposed to these types of conditions occasionally when I cut things with torches. Never bothered me. I don't know weather I salivate that much just have this sticky fatty sensation on my tongue and back of my throat. Before I quit the gluten I did get excessive saliva at times especially when going to the bathroom (#2). Can remember that symptom before cfs a few times when I had the flu also. Suspect it's a type of immune response.

Last edited: