• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I admit that I'm not up to speed on the whole methylation thing...

SOC

... but like everything else I thought wasn't my particular problem, I do have methylation issues. I'm trying to get up to speed, but now is not my best time cognitively to be doing new reading/research, so I'm hoping to pick some brains.

My B12 is high and doesn't drop much even if I don't take any B12. My D 25-OH is low and increases only slowly with 7500 units sublingually daily. My folate has not been tested. Daughter has the same pattern along with high blood folate. We don't have her genetic test results yet.

Based on my MTHFR mutation, my doc is currently suggesting methylfolate and hydroxy B12, which is consistent with advice I've gotten here. (Go team PR!)

Here's the part I'm unclear about... I'm having a hard time finding a multi without either methyl B12 or cyano B12. The cyano B12 is out, but I'm wondering if the methyl B12 is okay for me along with hydroxy B12. Does the balance between the two matter?

Also, I'm seeing recommendations to start the methylfolate first, then add the B12. Is this important enough for me to avoid taking my multi or Jarrow B-Right for a period of time? If so, for how long?

Is 400 mcg a sufficient amount of methyl folate to start with?

Thanks again to those who have already advised me on some of this. :)

Homozygous

MAO A R297R rs6323 TT+/+
BHMT-08 rs651852 TT+/+
CBS A360A rs1801181 AA+/+

Heterozygous
COMT V158M rs4680 AG+/-
COMT H62H rs4633 CT+/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 CT+/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AG+/-
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG+/-
MTRR K350A rs162036 AG+/-
BHMT-02 rs567754 CT+/-

Christopher

:rofl: Not enough room in my pill cases. :p Good idea, though. :)
Well that's fine, but honestly, I might try fiddling around with trying to increase bifido in your gut using certain probiotics along with RS, like people are trying in another thread here.

A healthy gut should produce B vitamins all on its own.

knackers323

... but like everything else I thought wasn't my particular problem, I do have methylation issues. I'm trying to get up to speed, but now is not my best time cognitively to be doing new reading/research, so I'm hoping to pick some brains.

My B12 is high and doesn't drop much even if I don't take any B12. My D 25-OH is low and increases only slowly with 7500 units sublingually daily. My folate has not been tested. Daughter has the same pattern along with high blood folate. We don't have her genetic test results yet.

Based on my MTHFR mutation, my doc is currently suggesting methylfolate and hydroxy B12, which is consistent with advice I've gotten here. (Go team PR!)

Here's the part I'm unclear about... I'm having a hard time finding a multi without either methyl B12 or cyano B12. The cyano B12 is out, but I'm wondering if the methyl B12 is okay for me along with hydroxy B12. Does the balance between the two matter?

Also, I'm seeing recommendations to start the methylfolate first, then add the B12. Is this important enough for me to avoid taking my multi or Jarrow B-Right for a period of time? If so, for how long?

Homozygous
MAO A R297R rs6323 TT+/+
BHMT-08 rs651852 TT+/+

Heterozygous
COMT V158M rs4680 AG+/-
COMT H62H rs4633 CT+/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 CT+/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AG+/-
BHMT-02 rs567754 CT+/-

Is hydroxyB12 recommended with a mthfr c677t mutation? I have not heard of this. Why is this the case? Wouldn't the active forms of B12 always be the best option?

Sea

Homozygous
MAO A R297R rs6323 TT+/+
BHMT-08 rs651852 TT+/+

Heterozygous
COMT V158M rs4680 AG+/-
COMT H62H rs4633 CT+/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 CT+/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AG+/-
BHMT-02 rs567754 CT+/-

The recommendation for HydroxyB12 instead of MethylB12 is usually for those with a COMT mutation. For heterozygous mutations I don't think it is an issue. I have homozygous mutations for both the COMT and I tolerate MethylB12 though I did have to increase slowly.

I am almost certain Freddd recommends having a low dose multi B in place before starting extra methylfolate and methylB12.

adreno

PR activist
I would go with sublingual methyl b12 over hydroxy. A multi should be fine, but avoid anything with cyano or folic acid. 400mcg Methylfolate is okay to start with, unless you are very sensitive. In that case just start with half of that.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
What sort of improvement are people getting from this 10% 20%???

Im not saying people arent but I have never got anything out of it ie using methyl folate and methyl b12. Early days of cfs I got some help with hydroxy injections at high doses 5 to 15mg a week but maybe 5% ???

Sometimes I think maybe I dont get a response because im on high doses of antioxidants from the beginning of cfs. The folate b12 theory is to raise glutathione levels. I wonder if all the other things im doing are having the same effect and this is why I dont notice much from methyl folate/b12????

maddietod

You didn't ask this question, but I got my D up from 33 for years and years to 80, by taking 50,000 units once a week for a few months. Now that it's normal, my doctor put me back on my drops, 2,000 units a day.

xchocoholic

I went down this path 6? years ago only to decide it wasn't what it was cracked up to be.

My b12 and folate serum levels went past what the lab said it could measure and I didn't feel any better.

Adenosyl cobalamin made me feel stronger everytime I took it for a few weeks / months but that stopped. Later attempts at taking this same supplement made me feel toxic.

I could never understand why people are looking at this pathway when the body detoxes in multiple ways and obviously we need all these to be working. I just Googled detox.

I concluded that a scientific researchers goal is to get their theories recognized.
Validation isn't important. Just look at all the unproven yet recognized theories there are. And all the wonder drugs that eventually are found to cause harm in other ways. And how facts? change overnight.

The good ones, like Richv, will always say their theory is just a theory.

That's just me tho. tc... x

Last edited:

SOC

Im not saying people arent but I have never got anything out of it ie using methyl folate and methyl b12. Early days of cfs I got some help with hydroxy injections at high doses 5 to 15mg a week but maybe 5% ???

Sometimes I think maybe I dont get a response because im on high doses of antioxidants from the beginning of cfs. The folate b12 theory is to raise glutathione levels. I wonder if all the other things im doing are having the same effect and this is why I dont notice much from methyl folate/b12????
I'm not expecting anything huge. I've taken methyl folate before with no noticeable effect, but figured it a good idea to try again given my SNPs.

B12 in any form and at many different doses hasn't given me any significant improvement, although I think hydroxy B12 has been mildly advantageous compared to other forms. None of it has been enough to make me recommend it to someone else based on my personal experience, although it clearly helps some people.

I, too, take significant amounts of antioxidants, so maybe that's the reason you and I don't see a big effect from these supplements.

The one time I noticed a substantial improvement from a supplement was when my Ca-Mg supplement was accidentally incorrectly manufactured to have 10,000 times the listed amount of Vit D. :eek: When I got the recall notice, I had my Vit D levels tested and it was, not surprisingly, sky high. I felt much better than I have before or since during the time of massive Vit D supplementation. Go figure.

I'm going to stick with the hydroxy B12, methyl folate, and TMG for a bit, just to see if there seems to be any long-term improvements, but it sure isn't doing anything fast or dramatic for me.

SOC

You didn't ask this question, but I got my D up from 33 for years and years to 80, by taking 50,000 units once a week for a few months. Now that it's normal, my doctor put me back on my drops, 2,000 units a day.
I'm taking more than 50,000 units a week now and my blood Vit D, 25-OH is climbing very slowly. At least I'm in the normal range now, although at the very bottom. I just had Vit D, 25-OH, D2 and D3 tested this week, so I'll know soon if it's finally getting better.

Sea

Cognitive issues make it very difficult for me to keep a good track of how I'm going so it is difficult to quantify but I have had some improvement. I wouldn't say that I feel any better but I can accomplish more without feeling worse.

Six months ago my family were doing all of the domestic duties and I spent a significant portion of my waking hours in bed. Now I am doing some of the chores and most days I don't need to lie down although I do still spend a significant portion of my day sitting.

Regular blood tests have shown MCV slowly dropping from 103 down to 95. (range 85 - 100. My doctor says 90 is optimal)

SOC

Six months ago my family were doing all of the domestic duties and I spent a significant portion of my waking hours in bed. Now I am doing some of the chores and most days I don't need to lie down although I do still spend a significant portion of my day sitting.

Regular blood tests have shown MCV slowly dropping from 103 down to 95. (range 85 - 100. My doctor says 90 is optimal)

I'd call that a pretty significant improvement. :)