• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

zinc picolinate dosage

so i bought zinc picolinate from gnc. (cause i read it could be beneficial) it was 30mg and 2mg copper. i postponed to take it cause its my first time n im very sensitive. (main concern was tachycardia/palpitation, digestive issues, insomnia) there were times when i tried things hoping to get better but it became otherwise. but since im desperate for improvement i took it a while ago but i read the warning "intake more than 20mg a day could caused migrain, fever, vomitting, diarrhea, etc" so i take charcoal, and half glass of milk afterwards.
i was wondering if i want to take it again later. can i just cut the tablet in half?

if anybody knows about the zinc, copper test, lab, validity please let me know.

Last edited:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
For insomnia, only ZMA could have an impact (which did not for me). For everything else you have listed, I wouldn´t expect anything from zinc. It ups mood for some, and adds libido for men, sometimes. For helping to seal leaky gut you should be taking at least 60 mg daily from what I´ve seen in clinical trials and possibly in another form.

Zin Picolinate from Thorne was one of these numerous supplements that did nothing for me. Kiseki, you have to be more mindful when trying things. I wish someone had advised me years ago about this! If I was to try minerals, now I would take something like a mineral complex from Life Extension or liquid trace minerals. That way, your bet is broader, not just one try but several at once.

Also, selenium would be a good try too, because some people here like Hip have had some improvement from it. Just wanted to chime in to give you some insight!

Last edited:
thanks to adreno and beyond for the reply :)
but why do people said about the side effect for more than 20mg. and recommend for starter to take low dose and see.
@Beyond did you mean trace mineral research drop? ive tried it but only for couple of times. wasnt it the one which said it contains lots of minerals?
i take zinc hoping it could help not only for insomnia, leaky gut but also palpitation, digestion and maybe other thing. i also read about zinc caronise from @adreno if im not mistaken. also cause my food intake arent the good resource of zinc but so is copper.
anyway so what you suggest? the zinc pico is useless?

Crux

Hi Kisekishiawase;

Copper deficiency is more involved with cardiovascular conditions such as; the tachycardia and palpitations you've mentioned, along with cholesterol, tendency to hemorrhage,etc.

With zinc deficiency, there can be elevated cortisol, diarrhea, skin thinning, some cancers, etc.

Personally, I find zinc to help with insomnia and anxiety. ( not completely) Females need less than males, and the RDA seems to run between 8-11 mgs. daily for women.

I am back to getting copper from foods because the supplements are too acidic for me.

Back when I tried higher doses of zinc, I did have palpitations.( I wasn't taking copper with it.)

Even though I still take zinc, and like it, I would still suggest that a small dose might be better to try first. ( Maybe the cap. or tablet can be divided.)

Some researchers/ practitioners recommend taking a zinc/copper supplement once or twice a week instead of daily.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
First of all, it is very unlikely that zinc causes negative side effects in those dosages. I meant that from everything I´ve seen in forums and personally experienced kiseki zinc is one of these things that are not going to make a change. So if you had to take just one supp it wouldn´t be zinc. Zinc carnosine is a good idea because it is clinically proven to help with the small bowel integrity (leaky gut). For the record, I did not find it helpful either for MY leaky gut (no improvement in digestive symptoms). For my digestive symptoms the best so far have been Y.S. Propolis, Seacure and avoiding fruit (so hard!!). Probably juicing helps with the inflammation. Probiotics I find them a waste of time, but I might have been very unlucky.

Zinc Picolinate useless? Yes and no. It is a healthful, essential mineral in an absorbable form, but most likely won´t make you feel better substancially, if it has any effect at all. If you have a zinc defficiency then that is another story, because you would feel a lot of improvement theorically.

I can only suggest that you become very aware of what are the causes, the consequences and eventually the solutions for your problems, I cannot do that for you, although some very expensive and scarce doctors could.

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist

NilaJones

Zinc helped me a LOT with nighttime muscle cramping.

I didn't realise the importance of taking copper, though, so after several months the cramping returned, that time caused by low copper. Then it came back a third time, this time from low potassium.

So, my experience is that zinc can be great stuff, but you gotta take copper, and eat lots of potassium if doing methylation :).

thanks again for everyone who posting here i really appreciate it : )
so i think it would be better to check copper, zinc level first?
what are the labs to check for valid zinc, copper level? mayo, or other labs?
i just bought the zinc though, itd be a waste :p
@adreno thanks for the info n link
@Crux i maybe have high cortisol. there are times when i got tachycardia every waking up. and try to do saliva cortisol on local lab it came up high. though im not so sure if its really valid. (from the procedure and method)
@Beyond i already re-take the left over stock of propolis now cause of you. though i dont know if its 100% pure or not but at least it should contain some of it.
the zma is magnesium n zinc right. i have magnesium but i read about magnesium feeds biofilm so i postpone it.
seacure from fish. have u heard about sea cucumber?
@NilaJones howd you know you got low potassium?

Last edited:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yeah ZMA is magnesium aspartate, zinc monomethionine and something else that I don´t remember. It is a cheap supp that wasn´t very effective for me, but is the only zinc supplement that I have read helps people with sleep. I´ve see these sea cucumbers in our beaches! What about them? They are now making a pill with that sticky whitish substance they expel when you press them underwater? o_O

@NilaJones i see. i thought u knew it from test. could also be magnesium defiency making cramp. i easily got cramp too.
@Beyond lol yes. the seacucumber isnt it good for health and digestive?
so its between zma or zinc caronise but this zinc pico still a full bottle.

if anybody knows about the zinc, copper test, lab, validity please let me know.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Hey take your zinc picolinate girl! It could benefit you. I just wanted to lecture you a bit about being mindful when trying things. When you want to try stuff, use the following criteria: number of people with similar issues in forums who has had some succes with x thing, if x thing is clinically validated to help your specific case/dysfunction/symptom, if you have tests that point out to the fact that x thing could be beneficial (example, low zinc in blood, white spots in nails could be useful maybe).

Seacucumber, the miraculous sea-thingie... should be go on the hunt of these ugly creatures in the coast then? :D I haven´t seen anywhere that it it used therapeutically and specifically for CFS... not likely.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Zinc gives me digestive upset. I have to take it with a full meal and plenty of fluid. If you have tablets that can be cut in half, I would advise doing so, at least to start.

My physician says that the best way to test zinc and copper is hair mineral testing. Since both zinc and copper can deplete iron, you should also test iron. (Do not take iron unless you test low for it.)

@Beyond thanks for the advice :D
i know but its hard to just assuming especially my condition changing by itself. it would be better knowing which to increase and decrease. ive been trying to get some tests. which arent available here. so i have to find medical practitioners who can help.
lol they look weird. yeah u can hunt them and cook them :sluggish:
@Little Bluestem thanks for the tip ill keep that in mind.
so hair more accurate than blood/urine?
i read variety info. some said hair mineral analysis isnt accurate. again the contradiction and confusing:confused:.

Last edited:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
i read variety info. some said hair mineral analysis isnt accurate. again the contradiction and confusing:confused:.
The quality of hair testing labs varies greatly. The two that I know are reliable are Trace Elements, Inc. (TEI) and Analytical Research Labs (ARL).

Could I please have someone decipher this QUOTE for me... I've highlighted the words that I'm focusing on, and kind of am trying to figure out if my interpretation is correct.

My interpretation
What I think I read is picolinate may cause hypoglycemia as it activates pyruvate which activates lactate and glutamine.
I know that lactate causes panic and anxiety... (I have hypoglycemia and I'm intolerant to glutamine it is excitotoxic for me).

"3-Aminopicolinate, a hyperglycemic agent that ac-tivates purified phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase in the presence of Fe2+, inhibits glucose synthesis from lactate, pyruvate, asparagine, monomethyl succinate, or glutamine but does not affect that from fructose,dihydroxyacetone, sorbitol, or glycerol in hepatocytes isolated from
rats fasted for 24h.
Lactate production from monomethyl succinate by hepatocytes is also in-hibited by 3-aminopicolinate.

This compound elevates the concentrations of pyruvate, malate, and aspartate but decreases that of phosphoenolpyruvate in hepato-cytes incubated with lactate plus pyruvate. In rats, the ability of 3-aminopicolinate to elevate blood glucose concentration is unimpaired by renalectomy. The drug does not significantly affect glycemia
in functionally hepatectomized rats but accelerates blood lactate and pyruvate accumulation to higher maximum concentra-tions even when kidney function is also ablated. It is concluded that 3-aminopicolinate inhibits phosphoen-
olpyruvate carboxykinase in hepatocytes, that the re-ported stimulation of renal glutaminase and glutamine gluconeogenesis by this compound does not contribute significantly to its hyperglycemic property, and that the drug increases gluconeogenic substrate supply from peripheral tissues."