• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is Vitamin A for?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I bought some Vitamin A (10,000 iu) by mistake and it's not worth it to send it back. I might as well take it vs. tossing it out but I don't really know what it's used for. Anyone?

Thanks

Hip

I have found that vitamin A at a dose of 25,000 IU daily helps reduce the inflammation I get in my sinuses and head, which in turn reduces my anxiety and "wired" symptoms. Vitamin A is not the most powerful anti-inflammatory I have come across (some more powerful ones I list here), but I find it useful nonetheless. It's one of the supplements I take every day.

Hip

I think vitamin A is best absorbed with food, as it is a fat soluble vitamin.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
good for mucus membranes, so things like sinuses, lungs etc

I have been taking 25000iu of both vit A and beta carotene twice a day for last few months. Cant say i have noticed any major changes. was hoping for immune function improvement with sinusitis, but need to rely on other measures still.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Thinktank It's Vitamin A as cod liver oil and retinyl palmitate.

@heapsreal, I just bought some Allimax Rescue Spray for my sinuses per my doctor. It got good reviews. Not sure if it would a serious issue like yours.

tango

Eyes, skin, hormones, immune system.
Does anyone know which hormones? And neurotransmitters?

Vitamin A interests me as I've had orange skin since I was a baby. My blood tests consistently show excess beta carotene and low vitamin A. My night vision is good, even though retinol A is low.

I have beta carotene SNPs but I notice different reports reference different SNPs so I don't know which are most reliable. I clearly am converting only a tiny % of beta carotene.

I eat meat, fish, eggs and dairy buy cannoy get enough retinol from diet alone. Maybe it would be possible if organic livers were available locally. When I take retinol A my general well being improves. I'd love to learn why and see if anything can be done to increase my conversion of beta carotene!

Does high beta carotene have any negative systemic effects from not being cleared?

I've spent a lot of time on Dr Google but I'd like to learn more about vitamin A and how it affects sleep, muscle pain, hormones, neurotransmitters and energy. Any experts here?

pamojja

I slowly titrated preformed vitamin A up to 25.000 IU. First surprise was that with such high supplemental amounts my serum retinol and retinol binding protein have only been mediocre. One nice surprise is my frequent psroriasis outbreaks are now more.

Otherwise, vitamin A is needed in concert with high dose vitamin D3 and K2, to assist the others and avoid toxicity. Which I take too.

More basic information here: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-A

tango

I slowly titrated preformed vitamin A up to 25.000 IU. First surprise was that with such high supplemental amounts my serum retinol and retinol binding protein have only been mediocre. One nice surprise is my frequent psroriasis outbreaks are now more.

Otherwise, vitamin A is needed in concert with high dose vitamin D3 and K2, to assist the others and avoid toxicity. Which I take too.

More basic information here: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-A

Thanks
At the moment I don't seem to be able to tolerate K2 and I get D from the sun and from food.

My focus in on the A as that seems to be helping. I've never had retinol binding protein tested before. I will have to see if the test is available here.

Maybe your body uses up all the A that you are supplementing? Or the dose isn't the stated potency. I tried Kirkman Labs vitamin A and it was a complete waste of money. I doubt it even has 10% of the stated dose in each drop. I have had better results from NOW and Thorne

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Vitamin A creates osteocalcin which is bound to bones and teeth by Vitamin K2.
Thanks for the reminder, i need to post this in the bone density thread

tango

Vitamin A creates osteocalcin which is bound to bones and teeth by Vitamin K2.
Thanks for the reminder, i need to post this in the bone density thread
Yes, but in excess it creates osteoblasts which make bones brittle

I'm really interested in increasing the conversion of beta carotene to retinol A. Given I had orange skin from a baby and that hypothyroidism has been ruled out, what else can I do?

And does the excess beta carotene create problems?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Yes, but in excess it creates osteoblasts which make bones brittle
Its likely this happens because the enrollees Vitamin K2 levels are low
However i am not aware of any proof, the need for more research is clearly indicated.