• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

No Transcript of IOM Jan 27 Meeting

As I experienced trouble viewing the stream of the meeting perhaps because of the lack of Flash on my ipad, I asked the IOM when they would release a transcript. The response I received indicated there was no transcription hence no transcript to review. Seems like they rely on the video format alone...could that be true?
Also, I sent an email to the company responsible for the video on the IOM site not working for me and they said I could review it after it is in the Public Access file. Do not know if this means I will not have access to make live comment at a meeting in the future. iPad first generation btw. Any help appreciated...

alex3619

As I experienced trouble viewing the stream of the meeting perhaps because of the lack of Flash on my ipad, I asked the IOM when they would release a transcript. The response I received indicated there was no transcription hence no transcript to review. Seems like they rely on the video format alone...could that be true?
Also, I sent an email to the company responsible for the video on the IOM site not working for me and they said I could review it after it is in the Public Access file. Do not know if this means I will not have access to make live comment at a meeting in the future. iPad first generation btw. Any help appreciated...

I am guessing that some patient, or group of patients, may need to transcript the whole thing, perhaps in sections and making use of slides and the available written presentations. However I wonder about copyright.

Ren

"Dear Ms. Meck,

I have two questions, please.

First, can you please tell me when a transcript of the January 27th ME/CFS meeting will be available?

I'm sure the Institute of Medicine understands and supports the right of individuals who are deaf or who experience other auditory impairments (such as hyperacusis, which is exceedingly common in individuals with ME) to have equal access to this government-sponsored public meeting.

And secondly, why does IOM refuse to release a copy of its contract with HHS to redefine ME/CFS?

Thank you..."

--------------------------

Please note that (unless noted otherwise) my email and requests have been ignored and unanswered.

Last edited:
I wanted to print out a copy to give to my doctor and have as a reference. Hopfully someone else emailing them will get a positive response about transcription. I wonder what they do for the press?