• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DHEA - starting dose? anything else i need to know?

adreno

PR activist
You can certainly take steroids for a few days without it causing any problems. Doctors frequently give a one week course for inflammation. Staying on HC chronically is a different matter, as this will suppress endogenous production, in a dose dependent manner.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have seen a few studies showing 10 to 15mg a day weren't suppressive. I cant recall the length of treatment but think it was a few months. Remember 5mg hc is equal to 1mg of prednisone. Doses of prednisone are much higher to treat asthma etc. Always important to talk it over with a doc.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
From memory the STTM site doesn't say that you have to start at a high dose of HC but in the past patients have had issues with adrenalin surges as a lower dose stops the adrenals from being used (what it is supposed to do), but there is not enough cortisol to get you through the day. So if you need some the body reacts with adrenalin and it can be uncomfortable.
Well that's interesting because I do have enough coetisol to get me up in the morning, but then it drops off very sharply at 12 and stays well below range for the rest of the day and I do suffer from adrenaline surges and anxiety feelings, especially as the day wears on - I can get most done in the mornings - and I agree its pretty uncomfortable.

My prescribed dose is 1ml of HC cream daily - yes wish me luck on measuring that out!
it says on the pack 'Apply 1ml (1ml =10mg) daily. Use on different areas to avoid thinning.' the pack says 1% HC cream.

I presume then this equates tp 10mg daily, although she is expecting a slower take up as it is drawn through the skin.

I am a bit confused as to wehter this dose is enough to stop my own production and whether I am really just topping up my own low production (obviously this is preferable)

I am also using a steroid inhaler for lungs (symbicort 100/2) 1 puff twice daily. twice daily (Budesonide) sometimes I have to use it 3 x daily and if I get a cold then may double to dose to two puffs 3 or 4 times daily

clive powney

Well that's interesting because I do have enough coetisol to get me up in the morning, but then it drops off very sharply at 12 and stays well below range for the rest of the day and I do suffer from adrenaline surges and anxiety feelings, especially as the day wears on - I can get most done in the mornings - and I agree its pretty uncomfortable.

My prescribed dose is 1ml of HC cream daily - yes wish me luck on measuring that out!
it says on the pack 'Apply 1ml (1ml =10mg) daily. Use on different areas to avoid thinning.' the pack says 1% HC cream.

I presume then this equates tp 10mg daily, although she is expecting a slower take up as it is drawn through the skin.

I am a bit confused as to wehter this dose is enough to stop my own production and whether I am really just topping up my own low production (obviously this is preferable)

I am also using a steroid inhaler for lungs (symbicort 100/2) 1 puff twice daily. twice daily (Budesonide) sometimes I have to use it 3 x daily and if I get a cold then may double to dose to two puffs 3 or 4 times daily
Regarding the dose, I understand that other patients use the very small 1ml syringes.
How have you found a doctor to prescribe and understand this? I don't think there are many in the UK who have any idea about this sort of stuff. Good luck. I also PM'd you about 2 weeks ago as to how I was, but things have changed since then and I haven't been too well again since posting, but have settled down again last couple of days. Trust me to open my mouth and suggest that things were moving in the right direction. When will I learn!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
@clive yes I saw your pm, I may have forgotten to post back - sorry, been crazy busy with writing an essay on the Romantic poets, plus not feeling too good so trying to rest a lot.

The HC cream and DHEA were prescribed by Dr Myhill - I have seen her/had phone consults on and off for about 3 years.

Sorry to hear you'e not so good again - I always seem to go downhill right after bragging about feeling better - sods law!