• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andMe /Genetic Genie results for me & my daughter…. lots of +/+ ! Suggestions?

Hi All,
I'm new to this… and here are our Genetic Genie results…. I'm hopeful this new info will help each of us with our problems - especially my daughter's because she really struggles with a lot of things…and she seems to have a relatively high number of mutations (am I correct?) I hope this may finally lead to some solutions for her...

What jumps out to me is she's ++ for MTHFR C677T and I'm hetero for C677T and A1298C… but she has a lot of other +/+ and +/- … and there so much info out there that I don't know where to start!

So I would really appreciate any help to figure out what to do next…
1. What we can do on our own? I've been unemployed for a while - so I have the time to research but no $!
and/or
2. Where can we go for good paid help? Ideally in the SF Bay Area or online (for when I finally get a job!)
3. Have you really seen improvements when you follow recommendations to address these issues?

Any other input on these results is very welcome!

And if you can only or want to give input on just one of us, that's welcome too, but my daughter is my priority.

Thanks!

Here are the results for each of us:

Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 10.51.04 AM.png

Or, if it's easier - here is the info broken down by each of us by +/+ and +/-

Daughter"s
Methylation

Homozygous
BHMT-08 +/+
CBS C699T +/+
MAO A R297R +/+
MTHFR C677T +/+
MTRR A66G +/+

Heterozygous
BHMT-02 +/-
BHMT-04 +/-
COMT H62H +/-
COMT P199P +/-
COMT V158M +/-
SHMT1 C1420T +/-
VDR Bsm +/-
VDR Taq +/-

CBS N212N
no call

Detox Results
Homozygous
CYP1A1 C2453A +/+
CYP1B1 L432V +/+
CYP1B1 R48G +/+
CYP2C19*17 +/+
NAT2 R197Q +/+

Heterozygous
GSTP1 I105V +/-
SOD2 A16V +/-

Other?
GSTM1
Present
GSTT1 Present

(everything else is -/-)
-------------------------------------

My Methylation
Homozygous
COMT H62H

+/+
COMT V158M +/+
MAO A R297R +/+
MTRR A66G +/+
VDR Bsm +/+

Heterozygous
BHMT-02
+/-
BHMT-04 +/-
BHMT-08 +/-
CBS C699T +/-
COMT P199P +/-
MTHFR A1298C +/-
MTHFR C677T +/-
MTR A2756G +/-
MTRR A664A +/-
SHMT1 C1420T +/-

Detox Results

HomozygousCYP2C19*17
+/+
Heterozygous
CYP1A1 C2453A+/-
CYP1B1 L432V+/-
CYP1B1 R48G+/-
NAT2 R197Q+/-
SOD2 A16V+/-

other?
GSTM1

Present
GSTT1Present
(everything else is -/-)

Last edited:
@ensatina - You both probably need methylfolate supplementation. Your daughter is producing it at 30% of the normal rate, and you're producing it at 30% or 65% of the normal rate. MTRR A66G means you both need to produce 3.5 times as much MTRR to do the same job as someone with normal MTRR. Supplementing B12 can help with that, and due to your slow MAOA, COMT, and VDR, hydroxoB12 might be better tolerated than methylB12.

What symptoms are you each having?

Hi Valentijn,

Thanks for responding!

Among other symptoms I can't remember right now, she has suffered with bad depression since she was very young, irritability and anxiety for many years (she's a musician as that has helped her deal with her depression a lot), ADD (or ADHD?), stomach problems and she has had trouble sleeping and often sleeps a lot. She has learning disabilities, was a very difficult teenager and dropped out of high school in the 10th grade. She is easily overwhelmed by life.

We both have OCD tendencies and migraines. I don't necessarily feel we have CF… but I also don't know a lot about it… (I hope it's okay I'm asking this question on this website… it seems a lot of people here are familiar with MTHFR and I didn't know where to start!)

My biggest complaints are a bad memory and a slow mind -as far back as I can remember. If I had extra time on tests I would do very well because I'm smart - but I often couldn't finish tests in the time allotted or I would be the last to leave. My daughter is smarter than me, but has this same problem…homework and tasks take her a long time! I also think I have some ADHD and I have had depression on and off and low energy. I recently went onto Thyroid medications and that has helped a lot. I also was recently told I have prediabetes and was started on Metformin. Finally, I have back, muscle and joint pain.

Fortunately we've always been careful about toxins and eating carefully - so I think we'd be in worse shape if it weren't for that. I always noticed if I took 500mg B vitamins that I felt less overwhelmed… I have no idea if they were the right form or not, but it helped.

Thanks for your help.

MTHFREase - thank you so much!!! (I'm surprised there aren't more people in my area! But at least they aren't too far away) By the way, I couldn't find the geographic search…. how do I do that?

Thanks caledonia! Yes, I'm definitely interested in more than just the methylation cycle.

I'm also very glad to see that the lists include several people locally… and I just saw all your links as well!!!

Now at least I can research your links so that I'm knowledgable when we finally can afford to see a practitioner - and so that I can figure out what to start experimenting with until then. I worry about my symptoms getting in the way of keeping a new job… I hate that my memory is so bad and that I'm so terribly scattered at times… and it only seems to get worse as I get older.

Thanks again!

Critterina

@ensatina ,

I agree wholeheartedly with what Valentijn said. In addition, and after you have done your experiments with methylfolate and B12, you might consider TMG for the BHMT 08 +/+, particularly for your daughter.

When you can get testing done, it would be interesting to see serum amino acids and homocysteine. First, I'd want to see if homocysteine is high (and if so, all the more reason for the TMG). In particular, I'd also want to see if tryptophan, tyrosine, or methionine were low, and the status of everything in the urea cycle. The biopterin cycle is the link between the folate and urea cycles, and seems to be associated with lots of the neurotransmitter issues: OCD, anxiety, depression, bipolar, migraines, autism. Although these symptoms seem to be more related to the biopterin issues caused by MTHFR A1298C, there are lots of places (enzymes, substrates) that might be influencing them.

Best wishes to you both!

Hi Critterina,
Thank you for so much detail! I've had my homocysteine checked in the past and it was relatively low at 4.9 and 5.5 - but then I'm heterozygous and my daughter is homozygous for C677T so she may be higher… and I'm going to try to get her tested for homocysteine sooner…. since that seems pretty important.

I also recently purchased the following…
400 mcg "L-methylfolate as Metafolin"
and
400 mcg Quatrefolic (6S-5-methy-tetrahydrofolic acid glucosamine salt)
and
a B complex with: 400 mcg Folate (from folic acid and Quatrefolic (6S-5-methy-tetrahydrofolic acid glucosamine salt)
(I don't like the fact that I can't tell how much is folic acid and how Quatrefolic, or even if Quatrefolic is what we need!)

Do you know if all of these are okay or not? (I don't mean all at once, just the form of Folic/folate)

and for B12 I have:
5000 mcg B12 methylcobalamin
and an older bottle of
1000 mcg B 12 as Cyanocobalamin (should I even use this?)

I looked today but didn't find the hydroxoB12…. but will look over the weekend.

Can't wait to get our tests…

Thanks again!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Cyanocobalamin:eek: please don't ever use that.
I don't do well with methylb but am okay with hydroxyb.......

a B complex with: 400 mcg Folate (from folic acid and Quatrefolic (6S-5-methy-tetrahydrofolic acid glucosamine salt)
(I don't like the fact that I can't tell how much is folic acid and how Quatrefolic, or even if Quatrefolic is what we need!)
I'm guessing this is Jarrow's B-Right. I take the same thing, but only because my MTHFR is nice and healthy. Until they say otherwise, I'd assume it's 99.99% folic acid and 0.01% methylfolate. So it's definitely not appropriate with homozygous MTHFR C677T, and I'd even be leery of it when heterozygous.
Not a good idea. It might be fine at low doses for healthy people, but it requires detoxification, which might not be working too well in people having health issues.

I'm guessing this is Jarrow's B-Right. I take the same thing, but only because my MTHFR is nice and healthy. Until they say otherwise, I'd assume it's 99.99% folic acid and 0.01% methylfolate. So it's definitely not appropriate with homozygous MTHFR C677T, and I'd even be leery of it when heterozygous.

Not a good idea. It might be fine at low doses for healthy people, but it requires detoxification, which might not be working too well in people having health issues.

Hi Valentijn! Yes, it's Jarrow's B-Right… so like the Cyanocobalamin, does it also require detox, or it just doesn't get processed? Or?

It's good to know what the problem is with the B-12….so definitely dumping that. I've been tolerating the B-Right okay - but I guess it doesn't mean it's helping me… I'm going to try to call Jarrow to ask them.. Do you happen to know if there is a b-complex with methylfolate?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Valentijn! Yes, it's Jarrow's B-Right… so like they Cyanocobalamin, does it also require detox, or it just doesn't get processed? Or?

It's good to know what the problem is with the B-12….so definitely dumping that. I've been tolerating the B-Right okay - but I guess it doesn't mean it's helping me… I'm going to try to call Jarrow to ask them.. Do you happen to know if there is a b-complex with methylfolate?
Thanks.
The cyanide in the cyanocobalamin might build up and cause issues, especially if taking high doses and if you have a problem binding and removing it. HydroxoB12 is an easy way to get rid of excess cyanide.

MTHFREase - thank you so much!!! (I'm surprised there aren't more people in my area! But at least they aren't too far away) By the way, I couldn't find the geographic search…. how do I do that?

There was a glitch there, but it's back you should see a map, and be able to enter an address and a radius to search. It initially defaults to a 200 mile radius from the center of the U.S.

Here are two more doctor lists. These docs treat the whole methylation cycle, not just MTHFR. I don't know about the MTHFRease list, as they haven't made that clear. There is probably some overlap between lists.

http://www.mthfrsupport.com/practitioner-2/
http://mthfr.net/mthfr-resources/

MTHFRSupport appears to know much more about each individual doctor, whereas my list is tracking people who say they are working with a doctor. I imagine that the mthfr.net doctors are interested enough in the subject to attend the seminar.

Critterina

I also recently purchased the following…
400 mcg "L-methylfolate as Metafolin"
and
400 mcg Quatrefolic (6S-5-methy-tetrahydrofolic acid glucosamine salt)
and

Do you know if all of these are okay or not? (I don't mean all at once, just the form of Folic/folate)

I think the first two are fine. I would think people who are MTHFR C677Y would want to stay away from folic and folinic acid. Since you are hetero and your daughter is homozygous, maybe you could use the B complex and get a different one for your daughter? Then when it's used up, switch to what you get for her. I use Thorne Basic Bs, but there are others.

and for B12 I have:
5000 mcg B12 methylcobalamin
and an older bottle of

OH, so now I see Valentijn's post...just go with what she said. ;)