• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sotalol - has anyone taken it for tachycardia?

Tally

I got sotalol chloride prescribed for tachycardia and ventricular extrasystoles (premature ventricular contraction (PVC)). Does anyone have experience with it?

Tally

I'm really struggling with tachycardia right now so I was curious about this. Yikes did you look up the other drug interactions? I had Clonodine years ago but it didn't help with tachycardia associated with benzo withdrawal.

http://www.rxlist.com/drug-interactions/contraindicated-index/sotalol-oral.htm

I'm not taking any drugs, besides other beta-blockers I am on (which I will stop taking in order to switch to Sotalol) so at least I don't need to worry about interactions.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
That's good. I am only take one other thing but that's now. There are so many things that interact with that stuff I'd be scared.

SOC

I got sotalol chloride prescribed for tachycardia and ventricular extrasystoles (premature ventricular contraction (PVC)). Does anyone have experience with it?
Yikes! That looks like scary stuff. I'd do a lot of reading about it and ask lots of questions before I'd take it. For example, from WebMD (my bolding)
Sotalol should be used only in certain patients. Before taking sotalol, discuss the risks and benefits of treatment with your doctor. Although sotalol is effective for treating certain types of fast/irregular heartbeats, it can infrequently cause a new serious abnormal heart rhythm (QT prolongation in the EKG). This problem can lead to a new type of abnormal (possibly fatal) heartbeat (torsade de pointes). If this new serious heart rhythm occurs, it is usually when sotalol treatment is first started or when the dose is increased. Therefore, to reduce the risk of this side effect, you should begin sotalol treatment in a hospital so your doctor can monitor your heart rhythm for several days and treat the problems if they occur.

Tally

Yikes! That looks like scary stuff. I'd do a lot of reading about it and ask lots of questions before I'd take it. For example, from WebMD (my bolding)

Now I'm freaking out. I have to take it tonight cause I can't stop the beta-blockers on my own, and I'm home alone. Great....

SOC

Now I'm freaking out. I have to take it tonight cause I can't stop the beta-blockers on my own, and I'm home alone. Great....
If you've already been taking it for more than several days, you're probably past the danger period. :) Still, I'd question (as soon as possible) the doc that prescribed this med without the advised precautions

Tally

If you've already been taking it for more than several days, you're probably past the danger period. :) Still, I'd question (as soon as possible) the doc that prescribed this med without the advised precautions
Nope, tonight is the first time. But I'm on different beta-blockers and I need to switch.

SOC

Nope, tonight is the first time. But I'm on different beta-blockers and I need to switch.
Eek! If I were in your shoes, I stay on the current beta-blocker tonight and call the doctor tomorrow. That's just my opinion, not medical advice. :) Please, read up on the med before you make the decision to take it tonight, especially if you are home alone. The little I read makes it sound unsafe to take under those circumstances, but I'm sure there's much more information out there than I've read.

Please check in with us tomorrow, so we know how you are doing.

Tally

Eek! If I were in your shoes, I stay on the current beta-blocker tonight and call the doctor tomorrow. That's just my opinion, not medical advice. :) Please, read up on the med before you make the decision to take it tonight, especially if you are home alone. The little I read makes it sound unsafe to take under those circumstances, but I'm sure there's much more information out there than I've read.

Please check in with us tomorrow, so we know how you are doing.
I was reading up on it online and it seems the 3 day stay in the hospital is required in the US, but not Europe, where I'm from. Maybe the difference is because what I'm taking is chloride?

Thanks for the warning. I'll make sure to keep you updated.

SOC

I was reading up on it online and it seems the 3 day stay in the hospital is required in the US, but not Europe, where I'm from. Maybe the difference is because what I'm taking is chloride?

Thanks for the warning. I'll make sure to keep you updated.
I hope you're right. :) Please do keep us updated.

Tally

I just wanted to let you know that I still haven't started taking it. I found some left-over pills from the ones I'm currently taking and I will wait for someone to be home with me when I make the switch.

SOC

I just wanted to let you know that I still haven't started taking it. I found some left-over pills from the ones I'm currently taking and I will wait for someone to be home with me when I make the switch.
Thanks for keeping us posted. I was a little worried. :)

Tally

Well, it's been 3 days, and so far no side effects and no noticeable difference either. I'm taking 80mg sotalol daily.

SOC

Well, it's been 3 days, and so far no side effects and no noticeable difference either. I'm taking 80mg sotalol daily.
Hurrah for no side effects, but too bad no help, either. Maybe it takes longer to see an effect...?