• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation - anyone had success?

helen1

It seems a number of people here have been helped substantially or moderately using methylation, including myself, Freddd, Radio, Idie, xrunner, Ahmo, Brad, Greenshots, LaurelL, Skyline, Sherlock, asklipia, howirecovered, Red04's wife and others, including some who'd worked with Rich Vank. Most of us have had to work on the gut, viruses, heavy metals, support genetics, etc as well, although these issues can be helped by improved methylation.

With most, it appears essential to start with really low doses and increase very gradually, one methyl donor added at a time.

Some people are not able to tolerate methyl donors even in small doses though.

Last edited:

helen1

@Spinney Lainey, have you also tried reading these methylation threads? (Take your time, it can be overwhelming :))

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...y-deadlock-quartet-and-other-nutrients.27482/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/b-12-the-hidden-story.142
http://www.prohealth.com/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=17178&site=articles

I don't think my story is particularly typical as my symptoms haven't included pain or much in the way of cognitive issues so am not sure how helpful my experiences are to you or others. Plus I've just started feeling better recently, in the past 6 weeks, so am not sure if this is significant yet.

I did have health issues for 30 years (hormones, depression, GI issues, fatigue) but was able to function almost normally, including regular sports and exercise, until 2 years ago. Then after a flu and improperly removed mercury filling, I could no longer function, had to quit work and could do almost nothing.

A naturopath helped heal my gut issues to about 80%, then started me on a methylation protocol, but in high amounts right off the bat, in particular methylfolate and an ineffective brand of methylcobalamin. This resulted in what I now believe was what freddd calls paradoxical folate deficiency.

After a lot of studying and testing, and after building up very very slowly and carefully, I've finally got a methylation protocol that seems to be working for me, namely Freddd's 'quartet' and cofactors, plus a few other things especially coffee enemas.

I'm certainly not recovered, but have made significant improvements. I've started working a little, I'm able to exercise carefully (weights, yoga, 1.5 hr walks), have much less PEM, no longer need to lie on the couch and am sleeping better. I still get tired many evenings, find evening socializing tiring, feel depressed when I wake up in the morning and have to eat very carefully or suffer insomnia and/or 'hangovers'.

Forum members who appear to have good or moderate recovery (or are in remission, it's hard to know) might be more helpful to you. You might want to check posts by Freddd, Radio, Idie, xrunner, Ahmo, Brad, Greenshots, LaurelL, Skyline, Sherlock, asklipia, Red04 (writes for his wife), howirecovered, Catseye and others. I'm pretty sure methylation was significant for all of them.

Warmest wishes.

Last edited:

helen1

I'm not sure what you're asking. Is it research that shows that methylation protocols can help us that you'd like to see?

knackers323

@Spinney Lainey, have you also tried reading these methylation threads? (Take your time, it can be overwhelming :))

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...y-deadlock-quartet-and-other-nutrients.27482/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/b-12-the-hidden-story.142
http://www.prohealth.com/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=17178&site=articles

I don't think my story is particularly typical as my symptoms haven't included pain or much in the way of cognitive issues so am not sure how helpful my experiences are to you or others. Plus I've just started feeling better recently, in the past 6 weeks, so am not sure if this is significant yet.

I did have health issues for 30 years (hormones, depression, GI issues, fatigue) but was able to function almost normally, including regular sports and exercise, until 2 years ago. Then after a flu and improperly removed mercury filling, I could no longer function, had to quit work and could do almost nothing.

A naturopath helped heal my gut issues to about 80%, then started me on a methylation protocol, but in high amounts right off the bat, in particular methylfolate and an ineffective brand of methylcobalamin. This resulted in what I now believe was what freddd calls paradoxical folate deficiency.

After a lot of studying and testing, and after building up very very slowly and carefully, I've finally got a methylation protocol that seems to be working for me, namely Freddd's 'quartet' and cofactors, plus a few other things especially coffee enemas.

I'm certainly not recovered, but have made significant improvements. I've started working a little, I'm able to exercise carefully (weights, yoga, 1.5 hr walks), have much less PEM, no longer need to lie on the couch and am sleeping better. I still get tired many evenings, find evening socializing tiring, feel depressed when I wake up in the morning and have to eat very carefully or suffer insomnia and/or 'hangovers'.

Forum members who appear to have good or moderate recovery (or are in remission, it's hard to know) might be more helpful to you. You might want to check posts by Freddd, Radio, Idie, xrunner, Ahmo, Brad, Greenshots, LaurelL, Skyline, Sherlock, asklipia, Red04 (writes for his wife), howirecovered, Catseye and others. I'm pretty sure methylation was significant for all of them.

Warmest wishes.

Any ideas on the cause of morning depression? Has anything helped it?

helen1

These are my ideas so far as to what might be the cause of morning depression:
low dopamine
low morning cortisol
running out of nutrients/methylators overnight (can't take a lot of stuff after about 5 pm as many things increase insomnia for me)

Am trying macuna pruriens at the moment to raise dopamine.
Any other ideas?

knackers323

These are my ideas so far as to what might be the cause of morning depression:
low dopamine
low morning cortisol
running out of nutrients/methylators overnight (can't take a lot of stuff after about 5 pm as many things increase insomnia for me)

Am trying macuna pruriens at the moment to raise dopamine.
Any other ideas?

No not really. Do the Macuna pruriens seem to be working?

The only other thing I know to raise dopamine are the Parkinson's drugs?

helen1

Which doctors? There are not many that know much about methylation. I would read up some more on methylation if I were you and google methylation diseases too. Some cancers are apparently caused by poor methylation. But there are few so-called evidence based studies - double blinded & controlled - on methylation and CFS that I know of if that's what you're after.

There are however small studies by Rich Van K, Dr Neil Nathan and Dr Jill James you could have a look at. Also Dr Sarah Myhill, Dr James Roberts and Dr Amy Yasko do use methylation as the basis of their treatments for CFS (and autism for the latter two), so you could look them up too. I know there are others but can't think of their names at the moment.

Last edited:

Freddd

I've just been watching @caledonia 's videos on Methylation and was wondering who on here has tried this and whether it has been successful......

Hi Spinney,

11 years ago I had FMS/CFS, was 11 years into Subacute Combined Degeneration and was 11 years into congestive heart failure. I am cured of FMS, CFS and Congestive Heart Failure. The SACD is has been backed of and is in remission to a great deal. All thus because of MeCbl, AdoCbl, L=methylfolate and L-carnitine fumarate, plus 30 or so co-factor, other vitamins, minerals, fats and other supplements. It could hardly be more spectacularly effective. I am the healthiest of my entire life now, at 65. The deadlock quartet saved my life and cured so much.

Spinney Lainey

Hi Spinney,

11 years ago I had FMS/CFS, was 11 years into Subacute Combined Degeneration and was 11 years into congestive heart failure. I am cured of FMS, CFS and Congestive Heart Failure. The SACD is has been backed of and is in remission to a great deal. All thus because of MeCbl, AdoCbl, L=methylfolate and L-carnitine fumarate, plus 30 or so co-factor, other vitamins, minerals, fats and other supplements. It could hardly be more spectacularly effective. I am the healthiest of my entire life now, at 65. The deadlock quartet saved my life and cured so much.

Great to hear. Who/what is the deadlock quartet?