• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wisdom tooth extraction- any advice?

My son has CFS for 5 years. His wisdom tooth is wobbly and causing pain spreading to his head. Looks like an extraction is inevitable. Can someone please advise on the precautions he needs to be aware of as he's just undergone a general anesthetic for appendicitis a month ago. Thanks.

Allyson

My son has CFS for 5 years. His wisdom tooth is wobbly and causing pain spreading to his head. Looks like an extraction is inevitable. Can someone please advise on the precautions he needs to be aware of as he's just undergone a general anesthetic for appendicitis a month ago. Thanks.

if he has EDS he my need more local anaesthetic than normal - that is usual in dental procedures in EDSers - as is dental crowding requiring extractions due to palate shape
Inn adults wisdom teeth removal can lead to TMJ as happened to me but sounds li it is 0inevitable for him so best of luck

Ally

ukxmrv

So sorry to hear about the appendix operation and now this on top of it.

My own wisdom teeth operation knocked me back in the early years of the disease. I had a general anaesthetic and didn't know back then that adrenaline was so bad for me in this situation. I came out of the operation so hyped up that I wanted to attend a party that night (yes, with ME...!), then I crashed so severely it took years to recover. After the operation hypedness had calmed down my gums became badly infected around the extraction sites. I had more than one wisdom tooth extracted.

Is it possible to do the extraction with a local now? If I had to do that again I would ask. If not, I would arrange the operation for a time that I could cope with it (i.e. an afternoon or evening) and with a non-adrenaline and not histamine anesthetic.

The best thing, of course, would be to avoid an operation and I'm hoping others will have some experience to share on this.

Allyson

My own wisdom teeth operation knocked me back in the early years of the disease. I had a general anaesthetic and didn't know back then that adrenaline was so bad for me in this situation.....

Is it possible to do the extraction with a local now? If I had to do that again I would ask. If not, I would arrange the operation for a time that I could cope with it (i.e. an afternoon or evening) and with a non-adrenaline and not histamine anesthetic.

The best thing, of course, would be to avoid an operation and I'm hoping others will have some experience to share on this.
I had it done under a local - but it was not infected or anything

leela

For a local, CFS patients generally do better with an anesthetic without epinephrine. I had an extraction recently without epi and it was fine.
Epi is added to prolong the effect of the novocaine or whatever numbing agent. Most dentists now are used to people not tolerating epinephrine for various reasons. There is also a high prevalence of CFS patients who don't do well at all with nitrous oxide (laughing gas).

If you are amendable to homeopathics, arnica is good to prevent bruising and swelling, and ledum to reduce pain and tenderness at the needle
injection site. One can take a few pellets under the tongue of each right before the procedure, directly afterwards, and then every hour for four hours. Then as needed. Bach Rescue Remedy (or Five Flowers) as needed as well just to calm the shock of it.

I have found those remedies to make the entire recovery process so much quicker, more easeful and less painful.

Best wishes! Sorry to hear he just had appendicitis and now this :(

GhostGum

I had all four of mine out along with a molar about a year ago, the recovery was not fun at all but initially I used tea leaves wrapped up in a small piece of cut bandage stuffed in the extraction sites to help with clotting/stopping the bleeding. Clove oil can also be helpful for pain and is anti-bacterial although as much as I tried to avoid the anti-biotics when my mouth started to smell like cow shit I did the course, although the smell turned out to be normal apparently. Just the one tooth it may be easier to get away without needing anti-biotics although I am sure they will insist on it?

caledonia

If it's already wobbly, it sounds like it will come out easily, under local anesthetic. The right kind of anesthetic is important. Like the others are saying, avoid epinephrine and nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide soaks up methyl groups so it's very bad for those with methylation problems (like ME/CFS patients).

My dentist uses 1% carbocaine without epinephrine, and I tolerate it well.

If he has to do general anesthesia, there are recommendations by ME/CFS docs on Phoenix Rising: http://phoenixrising.me/resources/preparing-for-surgery-anesthesia-warning
http://phoenixrising.me/resources/preparing-for-surgery-anesthesia-warning
If they recommend that he get all of his wisdom teeth out at some point, he should do it while he's young, as the roots will be shorter and straighter, and they will come out easier.

Rand56

@caremom

I'd request to also wear a thyroid guard for the X-ray.

I recently had a tooth pulled. It was also loose and caused me pain before the extraction.

I had some clove oil and I tried that, didn't really help all that much. What I found that was better for me was combining some garlic juice and ginger juice and soaking a cotton ball in it and biting down gently on it to let it set on my tooth for awhile.

Wayne

Don't have a lot of energy at the moment, but did want to mention I just read a recommendation of 10 grams of liposomal Vitamin C the day before, the day of, and the day after ANY kind of dental procedure. So much toxicity involved in virtually all dental work.

Thank you all for your sharing your experiences and information re anesthetics. Will request for cfs-friendly local anesthetic along with a mild sedation like iv Midazolam for severe anxiety. Shall try out those complementary remedies to reduce post op pain.

Wayne- will liposomal vit C irritate the stomach lining? He has leaky gut & frequently complains of 'burning' stomach & pain in lower bowel. Anyone knows if Ester C is acidic?

Wayne

Wayne- will liposomal vit C irritate the stomach lining? He has leaky gut & frequently complains of 'burning' stomach & pain in lower bowel. Anyone knows if Ester C is acidic?

Hi CareMom,

From my understanding of Liposomal C, because it is coated with liposomes (lecithin), it bypasses the gut, going directly into the blood stream and cells. This ability leads to absorption rates of 90%+ compared to about 20% for non-liposomal oral Vit. C, which can more readily irritate the gut. --- Sorry for the delayed reply, I didn't receive an alert on your post.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@caremom

I also had a wisdom tooth out a while back with carbocaine and, like Leela, also used arnica before and after. I didn't have any problems. Carbocaine has to be injected a couple of times as opposed to locals with epi. Just make sure your dentist understands this and hopefully your son will be fine.

Best,
Sushi

My own wisdom teeth operation knocked me back in the early years of the disease. I had a general anaesthetic and didn't know back then that adrenaline was so bad for me in this situation. I came out of the operation so hyped up that I wanted to attend a party that night (yes, with ME...!), then I crashed so severely it took years to recover. After the operation hypedness had calmed down my gums became badly infected around the extraction sites. I had more than one wisdom tooth extracted.

What is this non histamine anesthetic? Does this mean theres histamine in anesthetic ?
I also heard some could react badly to the anesthetic itself.