• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anxiety from methylation?

Christopher

I just need some reassurance that if I chill out on methylation supplements, that my recently very severe terror and anxiety might dissipate to a more manageable level. I am totally aware of CBS, (I am +/+) and that coupled with gut dysbiosis (which I almost definitely have) would lead to an excess of "stuff" (ammonia, sulfites).

I know I have issues with this, because my FIR sauna helps with anxiety, as well as charcoal, and sometimes manganese. I also have gut problems when I take a b complex that really flares my chemical sensitivity.

@globalpilot have you been able to methylate succesfully?

globalpilot

I was able to normalize the parameters on teh methylation panel from Health Diagnostics, but it didn't change my symptoms as far as I could tell.

caledonia

I just need some reassurance that if I chill out on methylation supplements, that my recently very severe terror and anxiety might dissipate to a more manageable level. I am totally aware of CBS, (I am +/+) and that coupled with gut dysbiosis (which I almost definitely have) would lead to an excess of "stuff" (ammonia, sulfites).

I know I have issues with this, because my FIR sauna helps with anxiety, as well as charcoal, and sometimes manganese. I also have gut problems when I take a b complex that really flares my chemical sensitivity.

@globalpilot have you been able to methylate succesfully?

Stop methylation supplements and also try 50-100mg of nicotinic acid (see my Start Low and Go Slow document linked below in my signature for details). You should have this on hand anyway for problems like this.

I was getting a stress/anxiety reaction from CBS (which is what Yasko predicts), but I wouldn't call it severe terror. More like a very stressful week at work where you get tight shoulders, butterflies in the stomach and so forth. I backtracked and did a CBS protocol for three months and all was well.

So I can't say if you have CBS, but I would certainly investigate it further.

Have you stopped, started or reduced any psych drugs in the past 6 months or so? SSRI, SNRI, benzo, etc.? These drugs can have withdrawal syndromes which cause a major increase in anxiety.

Christopher

@globalpilot @caledonia

Thanks. I am +/+ for CBS C699T, -/- for the other 2. From my experience, though, I think I've got problems in my digestive system that are generating toxins that are overwhelming my ability to detox. I don't think pushing my methylation cycle with the gut still in bad shape is beneficial.

globalpilot

I belong to Susan Owens group, Trying Low Oxalates. There, she talks extensively about Amy Yasko and the CBS mutation. Reviewing the literature herself and talking to other scientists that study CBS, there is no evidence there is an upregulation. You can read about it at Trying Low Oxalates.

Adster

I get the same anxiety issues when I push the methylation treatment. Going to try some low dose lithium orotate in case the B12 is depleting that like it can with Zinc etc...

Violeta

Maybe you've already tried this, but Ben Lynch says that an electrolyte drink can help. I had been using one but stopped buying it because I was going to mix my own, but never did do that. If you look him up, I'm sure he gives a good explanation about why that might work. I bought Vitalyte, I think is what it was called. I found it online from REI. The grape flavor is really good, and so is the lemonade type flavor.

I do very easily get anxiety from my Thorne methylguard multi, I have to take really small amounts and I have to not take it every day.

I am trying colloidal silver right now for gut dysbiosis. I did a round of it about 9 months ago and it helped a lot. This time after I'm done I'm going to take clay CONSISTENTLY, (but phfew it's hard to do), so that I get all the stuff out that the bacteria are living on.

Also, in the meantime, I'm taking a tincture called Scudder's Alterative, but I get pain all different places in my body.
But the great thing about it is that it calms me down, too.

Freddd

I was able to normalize the parameters on teh methylation panel from Health Diagnostics, but it didn't change my symptoms as far as I could tell.

Hi Globalpilot,

Getting the right numbers or wrong numbers on those tests do not predict how a person might respond to MeCbl, AdoCbl, L-methylfolate and LCF. However, symptoms tell most everything. For instance, the whole thing can break down on the ATP end of things instead of the methylation end. It is a 4 way deadlock which may take all four of the deadlock quartet and a dozen other cofactors. Each person may need a somewhat different combination. The use of HyCbl, CyCbl and folic/folinic acid in no way predict response to AdoCbl, MeCbl, methylfolate and l-carnitine fumarate. Good luck

consuegra

Maybe you've already tried this, but Ben Lynch says that an electrolyte drink can help. I had been using one but stopped buying it because I was going to mix my own, but never did do that. If you look him up, I'm sure he gives a good explanation about why that might work. I bought Vitalyte, I think is what it was called. I found it online from REI. The grape flavor is really good, and so is the lemonade type flavor.

I do very easily get anxiety from my Thorne methylguard multi, I have to take really small amounts and I have to not take it every day.

I am trying colloidal silver right now for gut dysbiosis. I did a round of it about 9 months ago and it helped a lot. This time after I'm done I'm going to take clay CONSISTENTLY, (but phfew it's hard to do), so that I get all the stuff out that the bacteria are living on.

Also, in the meantime, I'm taking a tincture called Scudder's Alterative, but I get pain all different places in my body.

How much colloidal silver do you take? And what kind?

Thanks,

Chris

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@Christopher I can pin down most of methylation related anxiety reactions to heavy metal detox, and have been able to verify this a couple times with fecal metal testing.

When the heavy metals are mobilized into the bloodstream, they can really mess with your neurotransmitters. The fact that FIR saunas and charcoal help you seems to be an indicator that toxins are moving out. I have found fruit pectin to be helpful as well, and acupuncture, when I can afford it.

Violeta

How much colloidal silver do you take? And what kind?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, I take Sovereign Silver, two to three droppers, two to three times a day. You're supposed to take larger doses, but that size dose works for me.

globalpilot

Hi Globalpilot,

Getting the right numbers or wrong numbers on those tests do not predict how a person might respond to MeCbl, AdoCbl, L-methylfolate and LCF. However, symptoms tell most everything. For instance, the whole thing can break down on the ATP end of things instead of the methylation end. It is a 4 way deadlock which may take all four of the deadlock quartet and a dozen other cofactors. Each person may need a somewhat different combination. The use of HyCbl, CyCbl and folic/folinic acid in no way predict response to AdoCbl, MeCbl, methylfolate and l-carnitine fumarate. Good luck

Right. And my symptoms didn't change.

Christopher

Good luck with the silver.