• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Woken up with Blood in Urine this morning

rosie26

Hi Everyone

I've woken up with blood in my urine this morning !! Totally freaked.
This has never happened to me before. I am 50 years old.

I thought something was up yesterday when I kept wanting to pass urine - it was urgent and burning a little.
It felt different to the usual urgency you get with the ME deterioration kind.

I have kept a sample to show my doctor, it has a small blood clot in it and the urine is a very dark coffee colour - quite a shock for me to see this. I am trying not to think the worst.

I will be off to the doctor in the next hour and a half.

Anyone else had blood in their urine and what was the cause of yours.
I really hope this isn't something bad, it would be just the pits.!

PNR2008

You probably have UTI (urinary tract infection) , antibiotics will take care of it. Fifty years and this is your first one? I bet you'll never let it get this far again, at the first sign of burning, I'm running to the ER or urgent care.

SOC

Hi Everyone

I've woken up with blood in my urine this morning !! Totally freaked.
This has never happened to me before. I am 50 years old.

I thought something was up yesterday when I kept wanting to pass urine - it was urgent and burning a little.
It felt different to the usual urgency you get with the ME deterioration kind.

I have kept a sample to show my doctor, it has a small blood clot in it and the urine is a very dark coffee colour - quite a shock for me to see this. I am trying not to think the worst.

I will be off to the doctor in the next hour and a half.

Anyone else had blood in their urine and what was the cause of yours.
I really hope this isn't something bad, it would be just the pits.!

Call your doc, if you haven't already. A likely possibility is kidney stones.

leela

This does sound like a kidney infection. Doctor visit imperative.
Once it settles in the kidneys it'll hurt like the dickens, so get get the goods now :hug:
They'll give antibiotics and this wonderful medicine that turns your pee red but takes the pain away almost immediately.

Firestormm

@rosie26 Do let us know how you got on at the Doctor's. Can be very alarming when this happens for the first time as I know myself. Hope you are feeling more comforted now. Dark urine always lets me know I am not drinking enough fluids as a general rule, but persistently dark urine sends me to the doctor every time and, as with the blood, it has in the past been diagnosed as an infection and treated accordingly. Can be a sign of other things though so always worth a visit to check as others have said. Gentle hugs x

rosie26

Thanks for coming over everyone:hug: x

@PNR2008 :) I have been lucky not to experience this before. Hope my bladder is okay and not cancerous - I shouldn't think the worst but hard not to, this is an unusual occurrence for me. It sure isn't a nice experience PRN2008, can understand you off to the ER straight away. x

@SOC :) I have the kidney stone scenario going around in my head too SOC, I had one about 23 years ago and that was the most devastating of pains. I haven't had any pain up in my kidney, just uncomfortably sore in my bladder. It is possible I may have developed a stone in my bladder ? Don't know if that is possible to grow one there though.

The reason I think this one is that yesterday when I was half way through a wee, the flow stopped abruptly and I couldn't start it off again and I could still feel pressure to continue but couldn't. It kind of felt like the urethral tube had been blocked off at the entrance from bladder to urethra. x

@leela :) Thanks leela, I haven't had the pain in the kidneys yet - thank goodness and great you mentioning about the stuff that makes the pee red :D I will be prepared for that now ha ! don't need anymore horrid shocks x

@Firestormm :) Thanks Firestormm, it is alarming alright. I kept thinking, I hope I don't pee out all my blood ! I guess that is being a bit too dramatic though. x

I went to the doctors this morning and took my not very nice sample of urine which they tested with that stick thing and it showed up infection ( I must say that the container I did it in wasn't washed before I used it, I just grabbed a plastic container out of the kitchen draw. So I really should have done another more sterile sample at the doctors).

They are sending it off for further testing, doctor checked my stomach area. I have lower back soreness, which I mentioned. The doctor has given me Amoxicillin Trihydrate 500mg 3x daily for 8 days and also Ural Effervescent Powder sachets so hope it fixes it all and never comes back again.

I have had to pee twice since being home and it has been scary to look, the last one I did is a bit more clearer. I don't think I would have made a good nurse.
Love you guys, :hug:

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Whatever the cause, I would not wait!. The liver and the kidneys are to important in ridding the body of toxins and the longer this disease progresses (in my case anyway) this gets harder to do.

I'm certainly not one that wants to get to the point of dialysis!!!!

Hope you get well soon and please post as to what the doctor thinks it may be (since they are not right all the time)?

leela

Oh, so glad you got to the doc, and back again with the Rx in hand! You should feel relief pretty quickly.
As much as I don't like taking antibiotics, this is one of those instances where they are a godsend!

Feel better soon!

rosie26

Thanks @August59 I hope you are doing okay, if I remember correctly you have had extra things to deal with on top of your ME. x

I have been to the doctor this morning ( last 3 paragraphs in post #6 above) Will let you know what the further testing at lab shows.

PNR2008

@rosie26, About 4 yrs ago I went to a gyno-urologist because I was having UTI's about every six months. I was afraid of cancer too. After sonograms, measurements literally up the ying ying and the use of an incredible toilet and way too many examinations with too many people present, I had a benign tumor in the liver. It seems when we get older some of our woman parts atropy and now I use estrogen on my urethra. Have only two UTI's in 2 and half yrs.

Yes look for the worst but hope for the best.

rosie26

@PNR2008 yes it could end up being more than a UTI, so hope not, but it's true the older you get - things can start going wrong. Just will have to face whatever - so hate the unknown don't you - waiting for things to reveal the cause.

Thanks PNR2008 I will remember if I have more trouble with this in the future to go and see a gyno-urologist.
Did they remove your tumor ? (only if you don't mind) and I wonder how the blood got from your liver to bladder - would it have been applying pressure against your kidney ?x

Last edited:

PNR2008

@rosie26, No, No, Rosie sweetie you misunderstood me. The tumor is nothing, so they say but it didn't have anything to do with the UTI's. I got them all my adult life but they got worse after CFS/ME/FM and especially the last five years because the urethra atrophy's and urine does not empty well and bacteria grows. Do you notice yet how your urine stream gets slower as we age. Some stays in the urethra and causes trouble, we are immune suppressed already, it's hard to fight everyday bugs. My problem was solved by the cream, making the urethra more youthful and an awful stretching job on the little U fixed the rest for now. Blood always comes if the infection is left untreated.

My Mother had a terrible time with one infection. Her symtoms were masked by prednisone taken for RA and she got encephalitis which almost caused her death and did cause her long term memory to disappear. So the infection itself can be dangerous.

rosie26

@PNR2008 I do hold on longer than I should sometimes before going to the toilet. And I do need to drink more, I just don't feel thirsty often. I haven't been as good at my fluid intake as in past years.
I guess this is a warning to pay more attention. I find the stream slow first thing in the morning, after that seems fine. The estrogen cream sounds good. Youthful is really good :D

Strange thing about this episode is that I didn't notice anything untoward until yesterday. I get odd sensations of ache or twinges with ME and I guess I have learnt to ignore a lot of them.

Glad your mum pulled through encephalitis, that would have been an awful experience for her.

Yes, I am going to be a lot more weary now, I just hope I can read the signs better next time and a lot quicker.
I am still quite confused about my lack of noticeable signs. x

leela

@rosie26 If it turns out to be an infection of e coli (almost all UTIs are--though mine that moved to the kidneys was not)
you might want to keep some d-mannose on hand for the future. It is a sugar (sounds counter-intuitive, i know) whose structure matches exactly the binding receptor for e coli. So it binds to all the bacteria's receptor sites such that they can't cling to your urinary tract lining, and you just pee the e coli right out. works amazingly well, and fast, and has no side effects since it's not killing anything.
plus it tastes good :)

rosie26

@leela I've never heard of d-mannose but I think I like the sound of it already as the d in d-ribose has been good to me, this might too :D x

Thanks leela, I will look it up and read on it. And have it on hand for the future. I don't like the way our bodies like to frighten us do you.

rosie26

Went out this morning - - talk about walking slowly, trying not to jolt my body, still a bit tender with odd achy twinges but things getting better now.
Antibiotics kicked in well after taking the 3rd tablet.

I popped into the doctors while out and my lab results were in and it is an E Coli infection. They couldn't do any more tests than that on the sample as they said it was too bloody. (sounds awful doesn't it) it was.

I never knew how dramatic UTI's could be.

Thanks for all the info everyone, some really good tips/ideas you gave above.
Hopefully it could help someone else reading it too. Thanks to you all.

:hug:

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Went out this morning - - talk about walking slowly, trying not to jolt my body, still a bit tender with odd achy twinges but things getting better now.
Antibiotics kicked in well after taking the 3rd tablet.

I popped into the doctors while out and my lab results were in and it is an E Coli infection. They couldn't do any more tests than that on the sample as they said it was too bloody. (sounds awful doesn't it) it was.

I never knew how dramatic UTI's could be.

Thanks for all the info everyone, some really good tips/ideas you gave above.
Hopefully it could help someone else reading it too. Thanks to you all.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. E. coli is the commonest cause of cystitis AFAIK. I used to get it a lot and it is horrendous. When I had it I felt as though I would rather have anything in the world than that. It was so bad once that I felt like throwing myself off my balcony. I was passing clots of blood and it was agony. Then you have to sit in a GP surgery and be afraid of missing your turn because you still have to keep going to the loo.

I started taking cranberry juice tablets years ago and have very rarely had problems since.

I have found that the most effective symptom reliever is marijuana!

rosie26

Thanks @MeSci :) x

I think marijuana would help me probably from the neck down but not the neck up. :D
If there was a way to stop it going to my head it could possibly be a fabulous calmer for the overdrive stuff that goes on ?.........

Sure is horrendous MeSci. You had it bad too.
The urgent-ness was very urgent. I had to try not to think about it until I was in position to go as, as soon as you think about going, you gotta go right then. And painful, yes, I wouldn't want to be a man with this, having a short urethra is bad enough.

I've never liked cranberry juice - guess I should try to drink it now :rolleyes:

Glad you aren't getting them now.

rosie26

I might just add I have been looking at my laptop very suspiciously the last 5 days since getting UTI :cautious:

For the last 4 months only I have had my laptop on my lap in bed and it gets quite hot under laptop. I have wondered these last months whether it is a bad idea doing this - could be heating me up too much:eek:

Might have to figure a different set up in bed. It really has been great having laptop in bed. Makes me more rest more.