• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Florinef and High BP.

Ema

I've been struggling again with my OI and I'm debating going back onto Florinef. It worked really well for me in the past but that was at a time when my BP (especially diastolic) was quite low.

Now I'm at a place where my BP is good to high (usually 120-130/80s), my aldosterone levels are optimal, and my sodium is OK (could be a little higher). But I'm dizzy!

Has anyone taken Florinef with normal BP? Does it raise it excessively?

Does Florinef work to expand the blood volume if the blood volume and pressure already appear normal (based on BP and electrolytes)?

I'm fine to take Florinef again but I just don't want to do it if it is going to cause more problems than it solves this time around. If my diastolic BP was still in the 50/60s, I would do it in a heartbeat though.

Any thoughts?

taniaaust1

Lots of people take florinef with normal BP just due to having POTS and is the most common POTS treatment (that is enough without having any aldosterone issues going on too for most POTS doctors to prescribe it.. many POTS people dont have BP issues too).

Does Florinef work to expand the blood volume if the blood volume and pressure already appear normal (based on BP)

Yes it does

Im taking Florinef with high BP as what sends my BP very high is hyperPOTS (orthostatic hypertension) which can also be connected to having low blood volume. In this case it can be useful thou normally contraindicated in high BP people.

Dr David Bell gets the blood volume up to bring down the BP of the orthostatic hypertension with low blood volume group when he gives them saline IV to bring down the hypertension (which must work or otherwise he wouldnt talk of doing that)

So anyway, the normal rules can be very different in us with things actually having the opposite affect due to the different issues we have and quite possibly in me, the florinef helps my high BP.

SOC

I've been struggling again with my OI and I'm debating going back onto Florinef. It worked really well for me in the past but that was at a time when my BP (especially diastolic) was quite low.

Now I'm at a place where my BP is good to high (usually 120-130/80s), my aldosterone levels are optimal, and my sodium is OK (could be a little higher). But I'm dizzy!

Has anyone taken Florinef with normal BP? Does it raise it excessively?

Does Florinef work to expand the blood volume if the blood volume and pressure already appear normal (based on BP and electrolytes)?

I'm fine to take Florinef again but I just don't want to do it if it is going to cause more problems than it solves this time around. If my diastolic BP was still in the 50/60s, I would do it in a heartbeat though.

Any thoughts?

I had normal to borderline high BP (the same as yours) when I started Florinef (and verapamil for tachy). My BP not only did not climb, it actually has dropped to consistently normal or normal low. I feel much better with increased blood volume.

SOC

@taniaaust1 , @SOC , thanks for the replies. That makes me feel much better.

How much do you all take?
I take 0.25 mg which is a little on the high side. Daughter takes 0.1 mg, which is more common iirc.

Oh, and I take it in split doses --0.2 in the morning and 0.05 midday.

*GG*

I take 0.25 mg which is a little on the high side. Daughter takes 0.1 mg, which is more common iirc.

Oh, and I take it in split doses --0.2 in the morning and 0.05 midday.

By split you mean 2 different doses, right? My Dr recently started me on 0.05 mg and kicked it up to 0.1 mg in the morning.

GG

SOC

By split you mean 2 different doses, right? My Dr recently started me on 0.05 mg and kicked it up to 0.1 mg in the morning.

GG
Yes, 2 different amounts at 2 different times. I take 0.2 mg first thing in the morning and then a "booster" of 0.05mg midday.

xks201

so your dizziness is gone after remaining on florinef at .25mg? How long did it take for the high BP reaction to go away from it? Were your sodium levels normal before taking it too?

Now up to a full tab of florinef and two 20meq tabs if slow release potassium ..... I'm trying to drink more sea salt water, but 3 teaspoons a day is leaving me more dry mouthed than anything .... My blood pressure gets better when standing with the higher salt intake but I'm not feeling right at three teaspoons a day.... Sodium is stuck at 140... Not budging.....do you think I may end up needing more than one tab a day of florinef???? Before starting my aldosterone was a 2...... I'm so confused and not feeling well....taking 25mgs of HC and 3 NDT a day.....all i want to do is heal my adrenals so I can optimize my thyroid!!!! Any input would be appreciated.....

Does increasing salt intake in florinef waste potassium further? I'm a mess today.... Sick to my stomach, panicky , awful. Any help would be appreciated !!!!

xks201

Florinef at even half a pill a day jacks up my blood pressure. I feel like I constantly need more sodium though based on my symptoms - yet I can't handle more Florinef. Increasing my fluid volume with desmopressin somewhat helps, but probably not enough to be able to tolerate more florinef.

Ema

Now up to a full tab of florinef and two 20meq tabs if slow release potassium ..... I'm trying to drink more sea salt water, but 3 teaspoons a day is leaving me more dry mouthed than anything .... My blood pressure gets better when standing with the higher salt intake but I'm not feeling right at three teaspoons a day.... Sodium is stuck at 140... Not budging.....do you think I may end up needing more than one tab a day of florinef???? Before starting my aldosterone was a 2...... I'm so confused and not feeling well....taking 25mgs of HC and 3 NDT a day.....all i want to do is heal my adrenals so I can optimize my thyroid!!!! Any input would be appreciated.....
Do you have adrenal insufficiency as well?

What is your BP now?

Where is your potassium on labs with 1 tab of Florinef and 40 mEQ of KDur?