• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Survived the move to NC

soxfan

We have finally made the move to NC after a year of getting our previous house ready for sale...and no it hasn't sold yet but we had to move anyway because my husbands job was waiting on him. I have no idea how I am still living and breathing after all this. I think the stress was even worse than when I had to go through my dad's illness and death in 2009.

I left my part time job of 21 years and the home I have lived in since 1980. We really needed to move because the house was just too large for just us anymore and we didn't want to deal with the upkeep. We have moved to an over 55 community which is just beautiful.

With an already over active nervous system I am in complete overload and believe I am simply running on adrenaline continuously. I am totally drained and exhausted plus having severe anxiety over all this. Even though I am extremely happy with the move and knew it was the right thing I can't control the anxious feelings. I feel like I am going to drop at any second.

I have Klonopin which I use to sleep 1/4 of a 1/2 mg tablet but it does nothing for the anxious feelings inside that keep me awake. I had a few Ativan left from when my dad passed away and that seemed to help much better but I have none left.

I also had to leave my wonderful Lyme doctor whom has been right there for me since 2006 and has done so much for me. He said I could fly up to NH anytime if I wanted to see him. The stress has been immense and am hoping in time I will feel better so I can start to deal with all the unpacking etc.

I am planning on signing up for yoga and some other meditation classes they offer at the community center here. There is so much to choose from but I really need some structured calming classes since I can't seem to do it on my own.
Thanks all for listening and I will let you know how I am doing. I will probably need to find a new doctor down here in NC so if anyone has an idea please let me know. I would most likely be looking for a holistic as my Lyme doctor was also holistic and seemed to be more open to alternative therapies.

Iquitos

You probably know that Drs. Lapp and Black are in Charlotte. And that they are very expensive and don't take insurance. Where in NC are you?

I'm in Charlotte, but planning on leaving in a couple of months. I've had no luck finding a doctor, even a GP. The first one I tried immediately said, when I told him a had me/cfs, "Whoa, that's beyond my pay grade. I'll refer you to a rheumatologist."

xchocoholic

I was told that i could take up to .125 mg of Klonopin during the day as needed. If I have to take it during the day, I try 1/4-1/2 of my .125 mg tablets then take more if needed. I have a seizure disorder tho so I can't get myself into a state that might trigger one.

Theanine and Kombucha tea work for me too tho if I'm not feeling pre-seizure. Too much of anything that effects my balance is a bad idea tho.

I just moved too so I understand the stress. Doing nothing for a few days in a row helped. I'm guessing I needed to let my batteries re-charge. : )

tc ... x

Sing

It seems odd to me that it takes discipline to relax, but so I have found it sometimes, especially when the nervous system is running in a rut of high-intensity coping. The way I see it, the brain converts to the equivalent of an obsessive-compulsive pattern, but what this is, really, is a back-up survival system coming into play. It is good that we have this back-up capacity. Imagine the extreme challenges that our ancestors have faced--war, extreme weather, dislocation, injury--which moving or maybe a new baby, etc. can be similar to, in that the body just has to come up with the means to deal with the challenge. All resources are drawn upon and everything that can be converted to a resource is grabbed to help us through. Then this form of coping also becomes automatic, compulsory, so the person doesn't lie down on the job.

But then, getting out of this pattern takes some work too--as through conscious breathing, moment-to-moment letting go, and opening to "emptiness"--i.e., the present. Drugs can help. Certain amino acids and herbs too. But, my experience is that it also requires a conscious effort to shift out of this emergency mode to a peaceful, laid-back mode again.

Because otherwise we are burning out!

soxfan

That's exactly what my body feels like..always on alert thinking danger. I am pretty sure my life style is much of the cause because I continued to work even though it made me feel horrible afterwards.
I am hoping a quieter life for me here will help my body relax and hopefully right itself. I think I got into this state when my dad was sick and I haven't been able to reverse it back to what it should be with the nervous system being out of synch..

*GG*

Good to hear from you @soxfan, hope you get better and find a new good dr! I thought Dr. Cheney was in NC, although I know he is expensive!

GG

soxfan

Thanks GG...I am loving it down here. I am not sure about a doctor yet..will have to get more acquainted with the area first. We will be making visits up to NH so,if I have to I can always see Dr. D

Iquitos..I am in the Raleigh area

SOC

@soxfan,
Congratulations on your successful move! I'm sorry you're having some health issues as a result. Hopefully some quiet time will settle down the overstimulus problems.

leela

I would suggest trying ashwaghanda. It helps shift out of that sympathetic nervous system/adrenal fritz. Also chamomile pure essential oil on the soles of the feet before bed is really nice.

At least the move is behind you now! The 10,000 details no longer need your attention :ill:
:balloons::thumbsup:

JAH

Most importantly, have you subscribed to Sirius/xm radio so that you can listen to sox games??
(as I do, though only get the boston feed for home games)

Fellow soxfan

soxfan

I need to be able to watch the sox games! We are going to find out how to do that but at least we have 3 months to figure it out...I am sure we will have to pay for some type of MLB television package. We have Sirius radio but only in my husbands truck..

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
You probably know that Drs. Lapp and Black are in Charlotte. And that they are very expensive and don't take insurance. Where in NC are you?

I'm in Charlotte, but planning on leaving in a couple of months. I've had no luck finding a doctor, even a GP. The first one I tried immediately said, when I told him a had me/cfs, "Whoa, that's beyond my pay grade. I'll refer you to a rheumatologist."

I'm in Rock Hill, SC and used to go see Dr. Lapp, but mostly Dr. Black. Their hourly fee is pretty steep, but when I went it was only "face time" with doctor that I was charged for. Non of the nurse routines were added to my time. They were also good about writing out the lab test that I need and I would take them to PCP and he would re-write them so all my labs were covered by my insurance.

I saw them probably 10 times and all 10 times did not add up to what Dr. Cheney's first visit cost, plus they will do phone consults after your first couple of visits, which saves you a little bit of money.

It is very hard around Charlotte to find a GP that will even listen to you about it and I really got under my skin for a long time.

There is a new doctor in Huntersville, NC and the name of the clinic is NeuroSensory Centers of Americas. This doctor has studied under Dr. Kendall Stewart on methylation. I've heard they may or may not require some pretty expensive testing such as: NutriEval or Spectracell, but I don't know this for a fact

Iquitos

I'm in Rock Hill, SC and used to go see Dr. Lapp, but mostly Dr. Black. Their hourly fee is pretty steep, but when I went it was only "face time" with doctor that I was charged for. Non of the nurse routines were added to my time. They were also good about writing out the lab test that I need and I would take them to PCP and he would re-write them so all my labs were covered by my insurance.

I saw them probably 10 times and all 10 times did not add up to what Dr. Cheney's first visit cost, plus they will do phone consults after your first couple of visits, which saves you a little bit of money.

It is very hard around Charlotte to find a GP that will even listen to you about it and I really got under my skin for a long time.

There is a new doctor in Huntersville, NC and the name of the clinic is NeuroSensory Centers of Americas. This doctor has studied under Dr. Kendall Stewart on methylation. I've heard they may or may not require some pretty expensive testing such as: NutriEval or Spectracell, but I don't know this for a fact

Thanks for this information!

Valentijn

That's exactly what my body feels like..always on alert thinking danger. I am pretty sure my life style is much of the cause because I continued to work even though it made me feel horrible afterwards.
Is your heart rate continuously elevated when this is happening? It can make you feel wound up, and pretty much impossible to sleep. If so, it could be due to low pulse pressure, in which case there are drugs and supplements which can help.

Ema

I am hoping a quieter life for me here will help my body relax and hopefully right itself. I think I got into this state when my dad was sick and I haven't been able to reverse it back to what it should be with the nervous system being out of synch..
So would a drug like ondansetron that could conceivably help calm an overactive vagus nerve possibly help with this situation? I know they are studying it for fibromyalgia pain now as well.

Congrats on making it through the move! I hope you are very happy in your new home.

Ema

soxfan

My heart rate is not elevated..I basically just feel like I have adrenaline pumping constantly..but I don't sweat..or have rapid heart beat. It's really hard to describe. Sometimes I feel my insides are just so hyper and I can't control it..the only time I don't notice it is when I am moving.
It is very hard for me to just sit as it makes me actually feel worse. I know..very bizarre.
I am not seeing any doctor at the moment as I just moved and am trying to get acquainted with the area. It has been extremely stressful leaving my home..friends..and co workers . Just trying to adapt and adjust to a whole different life.

Valentijn

My heart rate is not elevated..I basically just feel like I have adrenaline pumping constantly..but I don't sweat..or have rapid heart beat.
Have you actually measured it during these episodes? Or just going based on feel?

soxfan

I wore a heart monitor watch on my wrist..every time it felt like my heart was beating fast or pounding it would only measure in the low 70s..I even wore a holter monitor for 24 hours and I only had one episode when it went above 90. The average was 72. I even wore it during work,which is when I felt the worse..being on my feet.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@soxfan

I also just survived a move! I lost internet for 11 days so have been missing in action. Still trying to deal with all the multiple aspects of moving before I can begin to settle in--like why aren't they forwarding my mail??

Congrats to both of us! We did it! :thumbsup:

Sushi