• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Update on Alex3619: in hospital but doing well

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
for poor circulation, I was told to put my (cold) feet in a tub of hot water, as hot as I could stand, then put on cold wet thin cotton socks, and over that wool socks. Not sure if it would work for neuropathy? I haven't tried it in a while.

alex3619

for poor circulation, I was told to put my (cold) feet in a tub of hot water, as hot as I could stand, then put on cold wet thin cotton socks, and over that wool socks. Not sure if it would work for neuropathy? I haven't tried it in a while.

In my case the primary cause of poor circulation is physical damage, including leg surgery, in my left foot. The blood vessels are damaged, including the capillaries, and this takes a lot of time to heal, sometimes years. Traditionally you improve circulation by walking, but that has other implications in ME.

alex3619

Sigh, stuff happens. I had a support shopper scheduled for early this week, it was cancelled. Rebooked for today, cancelled. My very kind neighbour overheard my phone conversation with the support people (we had been chatting and she was digging up some turmeric in the four foot by one foot patch that is "my" front garden) and she offered to take me shopping, given that she was going there anyway.

So I went shoe shopping, and got some meds. I wanted to buy some sandals, as I cannot wear shoes. Well, six or more shoes stores later, and not one single sandal will go on my left foot, even if I try many sizes too large. My left foot is simply too swollen. As a default option I bought a $2 pair of flip flops in Kmart. (We call them a pair of thongs here, but that would be misunderstood. ;) What, Alex went thong shopping? Is there something everyone should know?:D)

I can sit in them, and so fulfill dress code requirements in some places, but I have trouble walking in them. Sigh, I wonder if its even worth getting custom shoes made, perhaps custom sandals would be better. So I still can't take a bus, even though I have the energy to do so now. I hope to investigate custom sandals next week. What I did discover today is my new energy is anaerobic, I still have very poor endurance.

When I was barefoot in the shopping center a security guard told me I should not be there without shoes. She didn't even look at my left foot, to see the reason I was not wearing shoes. I did explain it to her, but its so easy for people to jump to conclusions - something those with ME know too well.

Some time soon I hope to go to the cinema for the first time in way over a year, with friends. Now at least with flip flops I only have to avoid the stricter dress codes.

leela

Ugh, Alex, sorry for this added challenge.

If only your left foot is so swollen, have you tried wearing the flip-flop on just the one foot, maybe with an ace bandage around it or something,
signalling to otherwise obnoxious code-enforcers that you are dealing with a medical exception? Or you could skip the flipflop alltogether and just wrap the foot entirely with bandages, which could act as functional "footwear", satisfying the codes' intention for "sanitary" measures.

Pretty much everyone recognizes an "injury" as an exception. A cane or crutch as a prop would seal the deal ;)

Meanwhile, you might consider something like this, that might be covered by your NHS:
http://www.silverts.com/show.php/pr...kw={keyword}&gclid=CPre3Ke24rsCFcVFMgodRDEAHw
Here you can get that sort of thing at pharmacies.

alex3619

Ugh, Alex, sorry for this added challenge.

If only your left foot is so swollen, have you tried wearing the flip-flop on just the one foot, maybe with an ace bandage around it or something,
signalling to otherwise obnoxious code-enforcers that you are dealing with a medical exception? Or you could skip the flipflop alltogether and just wrap the foot entirely with bandages, which could act as functional "footwear", satisfying the codes' intention for "sanitary" measures.

Pretty much everyone recognizes an "injury" as an exception. A cane or crutch as a prop would seal the deal ;)

Meanwhile, you might consider something like this, that might be covered by your NHS:
http://www.silverts.com/show.php/pr...kw={keyword}&gclid=CPre3Ke24rsCFcVFMgodRDEAHw
Here you can get that sort of thing at pharmacies.

I actually have looked for something like the slipper at one pharmacy here, a big one. Nothing was suitable. A cane might suit my image well though, and send a message. Something old, in polished wood maybe.

I might be able to order something online though. However it isn't width that I really need, I normally have a high instep, and with that swollen severely its like my foot is taller than it is wide.

Ren

I thought of mail order perhaps for "sport sandals men" or "athletic sandals men" - more substantial than flip-flops / thongs, but with adjustable straps? Finding some which aren't over-priced (over-priced imo) might be another challenge though.

Sea

I wanted to buy some sandals, as I cannot wear shoes. Well, six or more shoes stores later, and not one single sandal will go on my left foot, even if I try many sizes too large. My left foot is simply too swollen. As a default option I bought a $2 pair of flip flops in Kmart.

Is it that you can't put any on or that you can't do them up? When my Dad's foot was too swollen for normal footwear I got him a pair of slippers that had velcro fastening and just added an extra piece of velcro. (Joining the end of a soft strip to a loop strip as an extension piece. I didn't sew anything to the slipper.) That would work for sandals too. I'm thinking of the ones that have all velcro straps - one around the ankle and two or three across the foot.

Just learned you can even buy double sided velcro, probably even better.
Eg:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Metre-...64260?pt=AU_Sewing&hash=item33796303c4&_uhb=1

Last edited:

Lynne B

Alex, My life has been saved by Ziera Shoes, with sandals where every clasp is adjustable with velcro fastenings. I love my sandals. When my feet are swollen (and that's all the time) I can't wear any of my former shoes. The salespeople are very sympathetic and aware their customers have medical issues. I also bought ankle boots from them for the trip to chilly Boston although paradoxically my feet were less swollen there. (Though still not back to normal.) The boots were either lace up from down near the ball of the foot or had other easy adjustable fastenings. They sell online and the only downside may be that they only make women's shoes. I don't know. It may be worth emailing them. Anyway, check the online possibilities. The other suggestion would be Kathmandu, if you have those stores in Brisbane.

Lynne B

I wonder if bootmakers could help you there? If you talked to one before buying some sandals about whether they could extend the leather of the strap between the velcro and the existing leather strap. Or whether they could substitute different, longer straps...

Graham

Senior Moment
Snowdrop, that's what I read as well! Glad to know I'm in good company.

And now I've just realised that it was Leela who said it, not you Snowdrop. I should have known it was Leela leading me astray.

Last edited:

alex3619

I got some leg ulcers a few months back. All healed except one. Its a long story, I wont say much here. My doc wants me to go up to the hospital emergency room, and I might be admitted ... for days, weeks or months, whatever it takes. The main concern is I might be on IV antibiotics, and while I have never had a bad reaction as we know sometimes that happens. I will probably still be around for another day, after which I will be dependent on the competence of the local hospital for a while. The most concerning risk from the ulcer is septicemia if it gets badly infected. So if its not healing something needs to be done.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I got some leg ulcers a few months back. All healed except one. Its a long story, I wont say much here. My doc wants me to go up to the hospital emergency room, and I might be admitted ... for days, weeks or months, whatever it takes. The main concern is I might be on IV antibiotics, and while I have never had a bad reaction as we know sometimes that happens. I will probably still be around for another day, after which I will be dependent on the competence of the local hospital for a while. The most concerning risk from the ulcer is septicemia if it gets badly infected. So if its not healing something needs to be done.

Big risk not treating the ulcers i guess. Might get a general improvement in cfs symptoms from it also??