• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulfur and Methylation

RosieBee

Where can I buy sulphate strips in the UK please?

I tried to buy mine from the US and was given these suppliers in the UK -

eurolabsupplies.co.uk
camlab.co.uk
fisher.co.uk

I haven't bought them yet, but I can find Qantofix strips on the last two.

Yes, I have. I completely understand the former post about the top two colors reading different than the lower two. I have been kind of squinting my eyes to blur them together and make estimations, hehe. BUT, when I first got them, my strip was incredibly light. I would estimate that it was reading about 2,800. Within a week, I had it down to about 1,200. Within almost three weeks my strip looks to be in the 400 to 800 range.

I mostly followed the Yasko protocol, skipping some supplements I could not afford and I think adding others. I skipped the testing she suggested. I wish I could afford the testing as it seems like the way to go. Sorry I am too tired to look up what supplements she suggest versus what I am taking. But I started with reading her Pathway guidance, and ended up taking charcoal, yucca, molybdenum, manganese, zinc, hydroxo B12, and CoQ10. I am following the high thiol list found here: http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/. I also am not eating nuts, which was on the Yasko list.

If I were to go back, I would just do the same diet and would use the strips. I would not have used any additional supplements as in hindsight I think it would have made things simpler to go without. I personally feel safer using food to treat what I can. Not using supplements is of course a cheaper way to go too. However, I probably would have bought Yasko strips in the hopes that they read better. I do feel like this may be something I want to buy in the future, so if someone could give a review on them that would be amazing.

Since the start of my CBS protocol I have removed yucca and charcoal because I have read in a few places that these may be risky and I personally beleive the food effort is effective. Although I truly feel like I understand so little of this at the moment. The guidance on CBS treatment seems to be vague to me (although for the record I bow down to Yasko for her help at all). So, I am putting out there anyone who has any advice for me on my supplement choices, it will be well received.

Last, on the two occasions when I did the add back of eating high thiol foods I felt unbeleivably bad in a few hours, and my test strips become just as light as when I started. So, yes, my take on things is that the strips and the high thiol list have been very helpful. Although, another food intolerance was the last thing I wanted:). Cheers

UM MAN

OK, a year ago my urine sulfate levels were constantly around 1600. Even while taking choline and TMG.
So this morning I decided to see if anything had changed.... my levels are less than 400. (normal) I am not eating any less protein or sulfur containing foods.

My question is, WHY? What happened? Does up-regulating the BHMT pathway (with TMG) take 1/2 a year to really get going?
Do I need less Mo now?

Violeta

OK, a year ago my urine sulfate levels were constantly around 1600. Even while taking choline and TMG.
So this morning I decided to see if anything had changed.... my levels are less than 400. (normal) I am not eating any less protein or sulfur containing foods.

My question is, WHY? What happened? Does up-regulating the BHMT pathway (with TMG) take 1/2 a year to really get going?
Do I need less Mo now?

UM MAN, have you noticed any change to your hashi's through this?

Have you come to any conclusions about why your sulfate went down?

Thanks

Radio

Just for reference, I have two CBS +/+ and two COMT +/+ (but no SUOX) and I have no problem with sulfur. Hair analysis always shows me a tad high on molybdenum. I have no idea what I eat to get high in molybdenum. (And high molybdenum makes you deficient in some other mineral...I think copper, so take care). I have to take 50mg P5P every day or I get short of breath (anemic). I think the active B6 (P5P) is needed for my CBS. I rarely have issues with COMT but in those rare times when I think I do, something else unusual went on with my diet, and I am too irritable to analyze it and figure it out. (I only recall that - well you know life makes you cut corners, and too much corner cutting can cause me issues, but I cannot be more specific than that).

I think getting to the heart of a COMT issue requires a 3rd party observer. (I sometimes get inexorably tearful and I think maybe that might be a COMT issue, dunno).

I would be interested to hear what other people consider a COMT issue?
images

Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate is not water soluble and can build up in the body damaging the peripheral nervous system.

Critterina

Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate is not water soluble and can build up in the body damaging the peripheral nervous system.
Some of us still test deficient in Vitamin B6, even when taking pyridoxine hydrochloride, 100 mg/day. P5P seems like a decent solution to that problem; you just have to not take too much. I've only seen one documented case of B6 toxicity from 100 mg/day of P5P. It seems to be safe for most. Still, you might aim at less if you're concerned.

taroki

My sulphite/sulphur sensitivity has gotten much worse over the past few weeks very quickly and I don't know how much longer I will live! I can't eat anything right now except rice and chicken! Do I have CBS mutation for sure? And is the Yasko test what I have to take? I can't find it anywhere on her site.

If anyone can please comment on my thread I would really appreciate it!

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-fibromyalgia-getting-worse-with-detox.28966/

Violeta

@taroki, have you looked into histamine intolerance and the possibility that taking B12 and folate might be making it worse?

I see there's a thread here about that subject, and as usual, there are two camps.

Since you have been taking B12 and folate for awhile, discontinuing them for a short time might be a way to see if you need to cut them out for a season.

Also, someone on the thread about histamine intolerance with relation to B12 and folate said that improving liver function helps with histamine degrading.

Reishi helped me be able to tolerate a much wider variety of foods.

taroki

@Violeta
Thanks for your reply. I sure found out about the histamine intolerence yesterday thanks to Sterling Hill who helped look into my gene mutations. I didn't know that B12 and folate could make it worse? That does sound about right though since I don't recall as much problems with citrus months ago (although I tend not to eat much of them anyway). But then again sulphur/sulphite sensitivity worsened during this exact time frame so could this candida flare up have contributed to both?

hmm .. I hear liver flushes could improve many allergies ... could it improve our sulphur/sulphite sensitivity?

Is Reishi a mushroom? That would make my candida/yeast issue worse unfortunately. Hopefully I can get this treated soon!

Violeta

That's a coincidence:) Sulfur/sulfite issues might also be made worse by liver issues. I'm not sure about that.
Another way that I am going to look at this is...do B12 and folate CAUSE liver congestion in some people.
I'm not saying that's a fact, I am going to look into it, and maybe someone here already knows about that and can help.

I don't know if it would improve sulfite sensitivity, but I'm hoping it will.

Liver flushes are good, but have you ever seen this site?
www.sensiblehealth.com
She has 4 liver tinctures that help the liver and it's good to take them for awhile before doing a liver flush.
Three of the tinctures really help me, but last night I took some of the curcuma and I think it made my histamine issues worse. Not sure.

I understand what you are saying about mushrooms, I have even come up allergic to them on an allergy test. Reishi is a medicinal mushroom, like shiitake, and those are actually good for candida issues. You can look that up if you want. You don't have to take the reishi to get better, but it's just such an all around remedy that I always mention it. It's antihistamine, antifungal, antibacterial, good for liver, etc. I'll have to get a link.

Radio

My sulphite/sulphur sensitivity has gotten much worse over the past few weeks very quickly and I don't know how much longer I will live! I can't eat anything right now except rice and chicken! Do I have CBS mutation for sure? And is the Yasko test what I have to take? I can't find it anywhere on her site.

If anyone can please comment on my thread I would really appreciate it!

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-fibromyalgia-getting-worse-with-detox.28966/

Radio:
Please read this...:thumbsup:

Sulfur, and Sulphate Reducing Bacteria – Another Piece in the Puzzle

One ‘new’ thing I stumbled upon recently is the importance of sulfur and sulphate reducing bacteria. I’d like to share it with you. I hope you find it as interesting as I do.

Sulfur is an essential mineral found primarily in proteins (sulfur containing amino acids like cysteine and taurine; found heavily in animal proteins) and in Alliaceae vegetables - garlic, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and a few others. Sulfur is also found in varying amounts in grains and nuts.

Source - https://secure.flickr.com/photos/tator82/451998913/sizes/m/in/photostream/

Sulfur is an essential element in:

1. Nerve growth
  2. Neurotransmitter inactivation
  3. Bone & cartilage growth
  4. Mucus production
  5. Detoxification
The big three that I’d like to focus on for this article are:

1. Nerves & Neurotransmitters - proper nervous system function
  2. Mucus production - proper gut health & leaky gut
  3. Detoxification - proper elimination of toxic compounds
So if you don’t have enough sulfur in your body you can’t do the three things above, and that makes life tough. Why might you not have enough sulfur?

1. Not eating foods that contain sulfur - probably not a problem for most people, but very restricted eaters, like autistic kids who only eat mac & cheese, might run into this
  2. Poor digestion - if you can’t effectively break down and absorb your food you could run into a sulfur deficiency. Of course we would expect to see this in the context of multiple other nutrient deficiencies.
  3. Sulfate reducing bacteria - my focus for this article
The problem with gut bacteria

If you’ve read much of my blog you know I’m a huge fan of good gut bacteria. They make health possible, and when they go bad they cause disease. But here’s a new twist.

Bacteria, especially Streptococcus, Enterococcus and Prevotella, can turn sulfur into hydrogen sulfide gas. Hydrogen sulfide gas smells like rotten eggs, is toxic to our nervous systems and our mitochondria.

So if we have a dysbiosis which contains a good deal of sulphate reducing bacteria, we have problems!

1. Deficiency of sulfur which means
    1. Our nervous system doesn’t work properly - nerves can’t grow properly and neurotransmitters can’t be effectively broken down and removed meaning the levels of our neurotransmitters will be imbalanced, causing neurologic and behavioral issues.
    2. We can’t produce enough mucus to keep our guts healthy, meaning chronic issues with leaky gut.
    3. We can’t detoxify effectively - making people toxic (a whole host of problems) and chemically sensitive
  2. Excess hydrogen sulfide which is
    1. Toxic to our nervous system - double whammy when combined with sulfur deficiency
    2. Toxic to mitochondria - the energy producing parts of our cells. Leading to low energy in our cells and our bodies. Might lead to chronic fatigue like symptoms for some.
How do you know if you have this dysbiosis? See more at :

Sulfur, and Sulphate Reducing Bacteria – Another Piece in the Puzzlehttp://www.aspirenaturalhealth.com/...e-puzzle-post-149-by-dr-tim-gerstmar-3262012/

Radio:
We also need sulfate for wound repair that is required for the extracellular matrix.

Heparan sulfate analogue: Wound repair
Normal wound repair consists of three different phases: hemostasis and inflammation, proliferation and tissue remodeling.[4] In disturbed wound healing, these stages cannot be completed often resulting in a reduced anatomical and functional outcome.[13] Multiple factors determine the average healing time of the different phases. These factors can be classified into local factors such as infection and ischemia, and systemic factors such as age, stress, Diabetes Mellitus and smoking.[14] In chronic wounds, factors as mentioned above, make it impossible for the tissue to regenerate properly.[13] After injury, the extracellular matrix, and thereby also the heparan sulfate is broken down by different local enzymes, produced by macrophages such as, heparanases, serine proteases and metalloproteinases (MMPs).[15] Heparan sulfate analogues replace the broken heparan sulfate at the wound site and bind to the free heparan sulfate binding sites of the extracellular matrix. Heparan sulfate is slightly negatively charged and so it can bind the positively charged units of the proteins and secure the ECM scaffold. That ensures a supply of the different protein ligands at the wound site. See more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heparan_sulfate_analogue

Transdermal and Sublingual Sulfate Support Supplements

Joint Pain Relief Topical Patch with D-Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondroitin Sulfate Patches http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4EBZAU/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Source Naturals Chondroitin Sulfate 600mg Radio: (I use this as a sublingual)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GFJJWE...colid=STE6K5DNMJYK&coliid=I687Q658W6S8N&psc=1

Radio: This concludes my broadcast for now :balanced: Pay it forward and never give up!

Extracellular matrix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracellular_matrix

Could Sulfur Deficiency be a Contributing Factor in Obesity, Heart Disease, Alzheimer'sand Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/sulfur_obesity_alzheimers_muscle_wasting.html

taroki

@Violeta
Yup, I ordered those 4 tinctures and kidney tea from sensiblehealth.com a few weeks ago (I may have kidney stones too). Unfortunately I cannot do a liver flush right now until I get my more urgent issue sorted out! (in case it makes it worse) Also I don't feel well after taking anything (maybe yeast/candida issue)

I think my SIBO has gotten worse and maybe I should focus on getting rid of the bad bacteria from gut and upper intestines first?

@Radio
So you think my problem is due to bad bacteria causing low sulphate and low sulphur?? Hmm ... that's a possibility. I definitely have always been a picky eater (thanks to my Asperger's symptoms). And poor digestion (urine test years ago showed protein in urine ... eventhough kidney/liver function blood test by naturopath seems ok).

UM MAN

UM MAN, have you noticed any change to your hashi's through this?

Have you come to any conclusions about why your sulfate went down?

Thanks
Sorry that I took so long to reply to your question, but, I was waiting for Thyroid blood tests.
In January my TSH was .22 (lower than I want it and lower than it has ever been)
So, I reduced my T3 + T4 supplementation by 12%, and blood tested after 2 months.
My TSH came back even lower at .12.
So, I reduced my T3 + T4 supplementation an additional 13% and I will blood test after 3 months at this
new lower dose. My goal is a TSH around 1.

To sum this up..... Yes, since I have gotten my UnderMethylation + Molybdenum deficiency under control,
my body requires less dramatically less T3 + T4 supplementation.
(Is my thyroid producing more with less TSH?? it seems so)

You can test urine sulfate levels with urine test strips. If you do the diet and the sulfate levels start to fall, you know it's working.
But the CBS-protocol is also about transforming toxic sulfite into sulfate to be able to eliminate the sulfur-dumps!? That's why I think my test-strips keep showing high figures after many weeks of that protocol (?)

caledonia

But the CBS-protocol is also about transforming toxic sulfite into sulfate to be able to eliminate the sulfur-dumps!? That's why I think my test-strips keep showing high figures after many weeks of that protocol (?)

It took me about two months to get my levels to fall, then I stayed on for another month. They never went all the way to 400, they leveled out at the in-between "600" location - hard to read. But that was sufficient, and I've been able to proceed with the rest of the methylation protocol.

sueami

So, to clarify, @caledonia , you used the low-thiol diet list and avoided sulfur in supplements as your treatment? Or did you do any of Yasko's other recommended supplementation?

I've received my sulfate strips and my first test was either >800 or >1200, but either way, high. I have a pretty light involvement with the CBS snips (hetero for a360, clean for c677) but I'm going to address this because I"m not seeing any real improvement with the deadlock quartet, six weeks in.

Thanks in advance,
Sue

Oci

I received my Quantofix strips today. I am not sure how to read the results. Is anyone else using these?

If anyone else is using these, here is my question. There are 4 blocks on the strip. But when I match the results up to the back of the bottle, the top two are lighter than the bottom two. What should I be using as my reference for results.
That is my question too!

Lynn_M

You compare the top color of the back of the bottle to the top color of the test strip, the second down color on the back of the bottle to the second down color of the test strip, continued likewise to the third and fourth colors down.

The third and especially the fourth color down are where you'll find the biggest differences in the comparisons between the test strips and the various categories on the back of the bottle. After matching the top two colors, the third and fourth ones down are the ones you'll look at to figure out which category matches the test strip.

Last edited:

Oci

Am
You compare the top color of the back of the bottle to the top color of the test strip, the second down color on the back of the bottle to the second down color of the test strip, continued likewise to the third and fourth colors down.

The third and especially the fourth color down are where you'll find the biggest differences in the comparisons between the test strips and the various categories on the back of the bottle. After matching the top two colors, the third and fourth ones down are the ones you'll look at to figure out which category matches the test strip.

That much I understood but am I looking for the color to get lighter or darker? Thanks for answering. Oci