• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doxycycline?

Ninan

My doctor suggested that I try doxycycline for two weeks. She says it works not only as antibiotic (I don't think I'm carrying a lot of pathogens, but who knows) but as an immune modulator. It's used for MS etc. Does anyone here know anything about this mechanism? Should I try?

determined

I think its primary value to us is that it does modulate the immune system. Be ready for some start-up effects though. I've been taking it quite a while and I feel it has made a difference.

Ninan

Whoa, I don't want "start up-effects". Have you heard if relapsing because of doxy? I can't afford getting worse.

What difference does it make to you, @determined ?

xrunner

My doctor suggested that I try doxycycline for two weeks. She says it works not only as antibiotic (I don't think I'm carrying a lot of pathogens, but who knows) but as an immune modulator. It's used for MS etc. Does anyone here know anything about this mechanism? Should I try?
It depends on dosage, it inhibits bacterial replication up to 200mg but it is bactericidal at higher dosages.
The answer to your second question depends on the reasons for this trial.

Ninan

It depends on dosage, it inhibits bacterial replication up to 200mg but it is bactericidal at higher dosages.
The answer to your second question depends on the reasons for this trial.

Reasons: Finding something that reduces fatigue and makes me tolerate light/noise better.

determined

It's not possible to say that doxy did NOT improve my fatigue/weakness, but I had been using it for several years before my cancer and it wasn't a huge effect. chemotherapy was hugely effective in almost eliminating weakness/fatigue. (but I did have increased anxiety, pain so it wasn't all good)

For me, the tiny, diluted doses of the methylation supplements have helped the most since the cancer treatment. I think of my tiny doses as if they are allergy shots.

Ninan

It's not possible to say that doxy did NOT improve my fatigue/weakness, but I had been using it for several years before my cancer and it wasn't a huge effect. chemotherapy was hugely effective in almost eliminating weakness/fatigue. (but I did have increased anxiety, pain so it wasn't all good)

For me, the tiny, diluted doses of the methylation supplements have helped the most since the cancer treatment. I think of my tiny doses as if they are allergy shots.
Sorry to hear about your cancer. Seems to me ME/CFS is much more than enough.

Did you take Methotrexate?

Seven7

Seven
I had to use it for something unrelated, never felt better CFS wise, I only took for 4 days or so but it felt sooo good. I was wondering the same to try for a while.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
they are suppose to have anti inflammatory effects.
They also say testing for mycoplasma and chlamydia pneumonia which are common pathogens in cfs are hard to detect in cfs, some docs think a treatment trial of abx like doxycycline is a better diagnostic than some of the testing, although it can specify the infection, who knows probably other bacterial infections that arent picked up in normal testing as well?

vamah

My doctor also just recommended a trial of doxy for mycoplasma. He said if I started i and felt worse that was a good sign, as I have been on it before with no I'll effects, so that would mean it is killing something. I haven't decided whether or not to do it yet.

xrunner

Reasons: Finding something that reduces fatigue and makes me tolerate light/noise better.
What follows is based on my personal experience with this and other abx.
If you're after something that modulates the immune system, reduces general inflammation and alleviates symptoms, doxy is probably an ineffective choice. To take it as an immunomodulator, it follows that it must be taken long-term. Herbals are much more effective in this respect and without the potential negative effects on your stomach.
If you want a more scientific trial you could take a cytokines panel and match the results to the relevant herbal. The only decent book I know that gives this information are Stephen Buhner books on Lyme and co-infections, where for each herb there's a description of how it affects the immune system and their range of action which goes beyond lyme, as well as dosage, potential side effects and interactions.
If you suspect that your symptoms are caused by some kind of infection, doxy may work or it may not. It may not work if your infection is mainly viral or due to parasites that are not affected by doxy. Then it may also not work well if there's a lot of inflammation in tissues that prevents delivery through the bloodstream, if your microcirculation is poor because of inactivity, blood viscosity or again inflammation, biofilm may be an issue, the infection is due to pleomorphic bacteria. This is what comes to mind now.

Ninan

Third day on 200 mg Doxy. I started feeling better yesterday. Not a huge change but it makes a difference. Feels like when I was allergic to a cat -- more energy, less noise/light sensetivity etc. Happy.

Ninan

they are suppose to have anti inflammatory effects.
They also say testing for mycoplasma and chlamydia pneumonia which are common pathogens in cfs are hard to detect in cfs, some docs think a treatment trial of abx like doxycycline is a better diagnostic than some of the testing, although it can specify the infection, who knows probably other bacterial infections that arent picked up in normal testing as well?
Day 4 on 200 mg Doxy. Woke up with fever (38C and I'm a cool cat) and puking. Can't keep meds down. And anxiety?

Am I herxing?

Ninan

Stopped doxy two days ago. Fever and vomiting is gone now. Waiting for my voice to come back. Anyway: I'm getting worse with ME-symptoms again. Will I have to stay on a fever to keep feeling better?

Taking 25 mg doxy today (prescription says 200 mg) to see what happens.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Day 4 on 200 mg Doxy. Woke up with fever (38C and I'm a cool cat) and puking. Can't keep meds down. And anxiety?

Am I herxing?

Do you take it w/ food ? It can wreck up your gut all the way through.That is rather a typical side effect of doxy. Best to not take on empty stomach) but avoid dairy) and drink lots and lots of water with it. It may have slightly less absorption w/ food, but at least you keep it down and you aren't so miserable.
HERE is the Medline info. on it. Gives all the common SE's .

Fever could be from herx ing or from a weird me/cfs reaction to the med.
I took if for long time in the beginning years. I was in a downward spiral and it stopped that and got me plateaued .
some others do much better than that on it. For me that was big. I was bedridden and unable to talk at the time, and getting worse. So stopping the downslide was a big deal.

Doryx is the brand name of a time released form of it. Now available in generic : )
It is much kinder to the stomach and gut. If you want to keep taking and taking on full stomach and it is still making you sick, see if you an switch to the generic doryx. I still took that w/ food , cause I would get a little nauseous otherwise. It was otherwise tolerable, no problems. Since it is time released it might ( complete conjecture on my part) not give you other problems as well. It won't hit your system all at once and give you a big smack. Then again, it still might cause a fever. It is, of course much pricier . But so much better now that there is a generic of it. Worth it for me. I can't take the regular doxy at all anymore.

Ninan

Do you take it w/ food ? It can wreck up your gut all the way through.That is rather a typical side effect of doxy. Best to not take on empty stomach) but avoid dairy) and drink lots and lots of water with it. It may have slightly less absorption w/ food, but at least you keep it down and you aren't so miserable.
HERE is the Medline info. on it. Gives all the common SE's .

Fever could be from herx ing or from a weird me/cfs reaction to the med.
I took if for long time in the beginning years. I was in a downward spiral and it stopped that and got me plateaued .
some others do much better than that on it. For me that was big. I was bedridden and unable to talk at the time, and getting worse. So stopping the downslide was a big deal.

Doryx is the brand name of a time released form of it. Now available in generic : )
It is much kinder to the stomach and gut. If you want to keep taking and taking on full stomach and it is still making you sick, see if you an switch to the generic doryx. I still took that w/ food , cause I would get a little nauseous otherwise. It was otherwise tolerable, no problems. Since it is time released it might ( complete conjecture on my part) not give you other problems as well. It won't hit your system all at once and give you a big smack. Then again, it still might cause a fever. It is, of course much pricier . But so much better now that there is a generic of it. Worth it for me. I can't take the regular doxy at all anymore.
Thanks for sharing! Glad it helped you. Any idea why?

I take it with food and take additional "lactic acid bacteria" later during the day. The intense vomiting (three times/hour for two hours) came the morning after I forgot taking the bacteria pill, so you are probably right about that.

I'm concerned that it is the immune reaction itself that makes me feel better, so that I need to have a constant fever. I seem to feel better whenever my immune system has something to do (allergies. pandemrix) and worse from everything that is supposed to only enhance it (immunoglobulines, goji berries).

I looked for Doryx and found this it's not used anymore because of some damages. (http://www.janusinfo.se/Nyheter/Nyhetslista/2002/Forsaljning-av-Doryx-enterokapslar-upphor/)

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Thanks for sharing! Glad it helped you. Any idea why?

I take it with food and take additional "lactic acid bacteria" later during the day. The intense vomiting (three times/hour for two hours) came the morning after I forgot taking the bacteria pill, so you are probably right about that.

I'm concerned that it is the immune reaction itself that makes me feel better, so that I need to have a constant fever. I seem to feel better whenever my immune system has something to do (allergies. pandemrix) and worse from everything that is supposed to only enhance it (immunoglobulines, goji berries).

I looked for Doryx and found this it's not used anymore because of some damages. (http://www.janusinfo.se/Nyheter/Nyhetslista/2002/Forsaljning-av-Doryx-enterokapslar-upphor/)
I can't read your article on Doryx . (language) But it's available in the States. Have had no problems w/ it.
Like I said there is a generic. Maybe in your part of the world there is another time-released form of the drug ?
Worth asking your pharmacy or doctor.

Good luck and keep us posted.