• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What's wrong with my esophagus?

svetoslav80

If I eat the wrong food (acidic, hot, stiff, milk products and others), or
If I lift something more than 10 kg of weight, or
If I jump 4-5 times, or run about 20 meters,
I get sick for a week or two, with the following symptoms: esophageal pain, fatigue, brain fog.
As you can see, I have said good bye to any kind of sport for good.

How it happened: one day I ate too much ice cream and drank about 200-300 ml of alcohol and got asleep (I used to do this regularly). When I awakened, I was sick with esophageal (chest) pain and general malaise. I also had strong acid reflux. (Later I've been diagnosed with reflux 3rd grade).

After I got sick I've made 2 barium x-rays, and 2 gastroscopies, and besides the reflux, they saw absolutely nothing wrong with my esophagus - they told me it's completely healthy.
So even though they put me a diagnosis of reflux + esophagitis, they didn't see any inflammation. I also don't have ulcer, nor hiatal hernia. They also excluded pancreatitis, so it's definitely something with the esophagus. I got this disease in 2009 and it progresses with time and becomes worse. At the beginning I was able to sport, now I'm not.

After some research, I've found that esophageal hypersensitivity best matches my symptoms. None of the 4 gastroenterologists which I visited put me that diagnosis. I think this is a very rare disorder. Does anyone know something about it, or something else which I don't know?​

Asklipia

Hi svetoslav80,
I have answered this here : http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/i-have-half-of-a-sore-throat.24089/#post-369111
It has worked for me and I had symptoms similar to yours. I think this is due to toxic lymph build-up in the area.
As you go along with the days, lots of things happen. I had patches on my left shoulder, thyroid pains, insomnia, threw up globs of green mucus, had a complete rearrangements of knees, hips, shoulders etc... Whatever the reason for this inflammation there, mechanically it cannot stay there if you do the exercise. And cleaning up that area gives a big boost to the immune system as this is where the thymus is.
The secret is to do it everyday and not overdo it. This is not a problem of week muscles, because after a couple of weeks you do not have a muscular problem anymore moving the arms it is a problem of evacuation of toxins. It used to make me feel mad. So when it came to exercise n°2, it did one day 15 mn, next day just 5 mns so as not to dislodge too much. It took me nearly 30 days before I was feeling overall better.
40 days is a minimum. If it works for you better make it 90 days.
The idea is not to make a show of strength with the exercise, this is just a way to pump lymph so do it very relaxed, throwing your arms gently with no tension. Gravity does most of the job. And after a couple of days, re-read the instructions because we all tend to understand them wrong the first few times.
You can do this standing (not bad at the beginning because it is less effective) or sitting on a hard stool. Having the hips pinned down is important as it gives an anchor for the torsions.
Lots of good wishes!
Asklipia

svetoslav80

Have they checked for the presence of mast cells or eosinophils via biopsies?

Hi and thanks for the interest. Yes, I forgot to mention this, they made me biopsies and I'm not sure if they checked for eosinophils and mast cells but I guess they did.

svetoslav80

I coughed today and it made me sick again. Pain, nausea, fatigue and brain fog. Just one cough. I don't want to think what happens the next time I catch a cold and begin to cough.

svetoslav80

It could be that you have IBS (with fatigue) - this is a condition that affects anywhere along the alimentary canal
Actually I have some serious gut symptoms as well (feel urgency to go to WC without actual need), which I didn't mention, although I know they are connected with my esophageal condition. If my esophagus is irritated in some way, these gut symtoms start to appear too. They also appear if I eat too much , or if I eat certain foods. So you may very well be right about this.

Last edited:
you could check with the doctor about intolerance to certain foods

stress factors and anxiety can also irritate the alimentary canal

Fogbuster

Hi @svetoslav80 was just about to start a thread about my eusophagus too. Your not alone buddy.

I have leaky gut, SIBO and SIFO (fungal). I have an immense amount of food sensitivities, honestly I react to pretty much everything. I'm always in a constant fog so being able to analyse and investigate my problems has been extremely difficult.

What makes me think I have something wrong with my eusophagus, is the fact that when I eat a food which I'm supposedly sensitive to I don't react in 30mins-2 hours, I react immediately or within 5-10 mins. Breaking it down it takes at least 30 minutes for food to reach your small intestine where the immunological reaction should be happening, so this has made me realise it's not just the small intestine reacting to food.

Everytime I smoke or run I feel this very raw and sore feeling in my eusophagus, whereby I have to stop running because it eventually becomes too unbearable.

Where do we go from here @svetoslav80 ?

Fogbuster

I don't get the awful fatigue you experience when coughing or eating a food I'm sensitive to, I just get foggy headed, my throat closes up causing me to sigh a lot due to restricted breathing and I feel a bit crappy.

Seven7

Seven
if you read orthostatic intolerance symptoms or fill out the symptom check list, you will see this happens, the reason I mention it is because the other symptoms you mentioned and I had similar issues with not being able to swallow. Mine showed in the test where I couldn't swallow but they couldn't find anything wrong. Since I have been in OI meds that went away, and my PEM lately also after I increased the midodrine (OI med).