• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Herbal Interferon Boosters, side effects?

end

Like the subject line says :)

Have been on Neem Leaf for a week and have noticed I am reacting to it in a similar way as Astragalus - EXCESSIVE perspiration(more so then the norm)at the slightest exertion and just generally feeling "hot"

Has anyone noticed that interferon alpha/gamma boosters do this to them?

end

All I can find is increased depression(more so then the norm)as a increased interferon level side effect?

I understand the body's use of increasing body temperature in response to help eradicate infection, however the link between that and increased interferon levels eludes me

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I had the sweats big time the first day I used ahcc but then nothing further. No changes in mood and I think higher doses may have helped slightly but nothing from maintenance doses. High doses too expensive to use for any great length of time. Suppose to increase nk function so possibly increases interferon.
Cant say I had any reactions when using astragalus.

PNR2008

I had an exacerbating of all symptoms on alpha interferon, including extreme anxiety. That was with one pill, the second pill was worst. Never took it again.

I take astragalus extract when fighting a flu or cold. I do have hot feelings but it happens with any exertion during infection even without taking astragalus.

Hip

Wikipedia says "Certain symptoms, such as aching muscles and fever, are related to the production of IFNs during infection."

Interestingly, Dr Chia found that ME/CFS patients who improved on the immunomodulator oxymatrine would often go through a period where they experienced fever (= feeling hot and sweating) for several days. Afterwards, they would have significant improvements in their ME/CFS symptoms. Oxymatrine is believed to shift to the Th1 immune response, and thereby induce interferon gamma. Neem also induces interferon gamma.

So the fever you are experiencing may be a good sign.

What dose of neem leaf are you taking, by the way?

Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Today I took 1 equilibrant for the first time today and an hour later became itchy just on my head and neck especially eyes and nose. No rash. So unsure if its a normal equilibrant immune response or an allergy??

I may try it again in a few days.

alex3619

The latest study here implies we might have too much interferon gamma, and not enough alpha or beta. Adding more gamma might not be a good idea. On the other hand maybe our body knows what it is doing and gamma is good. Just be cautious is what I would suggest.

lansbergen

Most researchers seem to find normal interferon gamma titers. I think with the infection I suspect one needs more interferon gamma than normal. My immune modulator increases interferon gamma production and lately I get the interferon gamma symptoms I have been hoping for. Now my improvement speeds up. .

Hip

Interferon gamma (IFN-γ) is one of the Th1 cytokines.

Remember:
Th1 cytokines = IL-2, IL-12, IFN-γ
Th2 cytokines = IL-4, IL-10

Being one of the Th1 cytokines makes IFN-γ a little different to IFN-α and IFN-β, because IFN-α and IFN-β are induced by local triggers, whereas IFN-γ is released as part of an orchestrated Th1 response.

Since we want to create a Th1 response in ME/CFS, slightly higher levels of IFN-γ are desirable. Although according to Dr Chia's oxymatrine research, high levels of IL-12 in relation to IL-10 seem to be the most crucial if you are to significantly improve from taking immunomodulators.

It is very instructive to look at this the following graph from a presentation given by Dr Chia, which shows the IL-12 / IL-10 ratios of 17 ME/CFS patients taking the herbal immunomodulator oxymatrine. This ratio is indicative of the Th1 / Th2 balance.

Dr Chia oxymatrine cytokine ratio.jpg

You can see each patient's IL-12 / IL-10 ratio both before and after oxymatrine treatment. The patients who significantly improved on oxymatrine are those who sloped upwards on the graph, to a higher IL-12 / IL-10 ratio.

So this indicates an increase in the IL-12 / IL-10 ratio may be important on the route to significant improvement in ME/CFS.

(Note that there are two subtypes of IL-12, namely IL-12 p35 and IL-12 p40, but both count as IL-12).

You can hear Dr Chia talk about this above graph at timecode 37:02 in this Dr Chia video.

Hip

If like me you subscribe to the enterovirus theory of ME/CFS, and the idea that non-cytopathic enteroviruses which live inside human cells are one of the primary causes of ME/CFS, then the fundamental importance of interferon as a treatment of ME/CFS relates to the fact that interferon clears out these non-cytopathic enteroviruses from cells.

Last edited:

end

Wikipedia says "Certain symptoms, such as aching muscles and fever, are related to the production of IFNs during infection."

Interestingly, Dr Chia found that ME/CFS patients who improved on the immunomodulator oxymatrine would often go through a period where they experienced fever (= feeling hot and sweating) for several days. Afterwards, they would have significant improvements in their ME/CFS symptoms. Oxymatrine is believed to shift to the Th1 immune response, and thereby induce interferon gamma. Neem also induces interferon gamma.

So the fever you are experiencing may be a good sign.

What dose of neem leaf are you taking, by the way?

Thank you Hip appreciate every ones input

I am taking these http://m.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Neem-Leaves-100-Capsules/2017 two caps three times a day along with these http://m.iherb.com/Nutricology-TriBiotics-90-Veggie-Caps/11778 same dosage

I suspect EV(organising testing)and Parasitic infection(Metametrix PPTU)as the cause of my CFS/ME hence the use of these two products.

Severe Leaky Gut pathology, stressed phase 1 and 2 Liver detox, very low sIgA support my thoughts

In the process of arranging MEDS for Dr Klingharts parasite protocol http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...klinghardt-parasite-protocol-any-input.13376/ as this sounds a little more effective/broad spectrum over botanicals

Last edited: