• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is this a decent B-complex?

As anyone used the Thorne Research Basic B Complex? I have had good success adding methyl folate and methyl B12, but my B-right seems to contain some folate, so I'd like to switch.

It doesn't seem to contain any problematic form of B vitamins - at least that I can see.... Any thoughts?

Supplement Facts
Serving Size:
One Capsule
Each Capsule Contains: % DV
Thiamin (as Thiamin HCl) 110 mg 7,333%
Riboflavin (as Riboflavin 5'-Phosphate Sodium) 10 mg 588%
Niacin (130 mg as Niacinamide and 10 mg as Niacin) 140 mg 700%
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal 5'-Phosphate) 10 mg 500%
Folate (as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate from L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin) 400 mcg 6,667%
Biotin 400 mcg 133%
Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium Pantothenate) 110 mg 1,100%
Choline Citrate 80 mg *

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I've used Thorne Multi B's and multi vitamins in the past. They seem to me to be a good solid vitamin choice.
If you can tolerate that much per dose. You might consider adding hydroxocobalamin sublingual tabs.

I have trouble finding Thorne products now. They don't seem to be in any stores or in any online shop I use. :(

I have limited financial resources and buy infrequently and only when I can get what I want from one source and defray the shipping cost.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Well that sucks. That Ortho brand is already overpriced and now they use folic acid in a supplement??

I can attest that the active vitamins of Thorne work. I got a crazy reaction two years ago from their Methyl-Guard. That B-Complex is actually one of the best syntethic ones. I chose the Douglas Labs one though, suits more my needs.

helen1

@ggingues, it's synthetic if it says 'folic acid'. if it weren't synthetic, it would specify methylfolate or 5-methyltetrahydrofolate, or 5-MTHF or even just bioactive folate.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@ggingues
Yes, sorry gg, as Helen1 said above.

Folic acid is not naturally used by the body and needs to undergo a few transformations before it's is usable. Some people, especially us sick ones, our body can't perform this process and therefore folic acid is unusable.

Freddd

As anyone used the Thorne Research Basic B Complex? I have had good success adding methyl folate and methyl B12, but my B-right seems to contain some folate, so I'd like to switch.

It doesn't seem to contain any problematic form of B vitamins - at least that I can see.... Any thoughts?

Supplement Facts
Serving Size:
One Capsule
Each Capsule Contains: % DV
Thiamin (as Thiamin HCl) 110 mg 7,333%
Riboflavin (as Riboflavin 5'-Phosphate Sodium) 10 mg 588%
Niacin (130 mg as Niacinamide and 10 mg as Niacin) 140 mg 700%
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal 5'-Phosphate) 10 mg 500%
Folate (as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate from L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin) 400 mcg 6,667%
Biotin 400 mcg 133%
Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium Pantothenate) 110 mg 1,100%
Choline Citrate 80 mg *

Both the 110mg of thiamin and 140 mg of niacin can overdrive need for potassium and l-methylfolate so much it stops most healing. Taken twice a day would be massive overkill.

Both the 110mg of thiamin and 140 mg of niacin can overdrive need for potassium and l-methylfolate so much it stops most healing. Taken twice a day would be massive overkill.

Thanks for the response! Since I am already taking separate l-methylfolate and methyl-B12, I was thinking of just taking a quarter or half dose per day. Would that be okay?

Freddd

Thanks for the response! Since I am already taking separate l-methylfolate and methyl-B12, I was thinking of just taking a quarter or half dose per day. Would that be okay?

HI Jammies,

A 1/4 dose twice a day could very well be reasonable for you to try.