• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Got my Yasko results, yay! Caledonia and all you smart folks can you help me??

Only two shockers for me with my results. I am totally negative for any COMT. The second is that I am CBS +/+. I was expecting one plus, but not the two. :-(.

So, here is the list of positives. . .

VDR Taq Tt
VDR Fok Ff
MAO A +/-
MTHFR C677T +/-
MTR +/-
MTRR K350A +/- (this was red instead of yellow, a color-coding mistake??)
BHMT 1,2,4,8 +/-
CBS C699T +/+
NOS +/-

I am sensitive to all methyl donors and am struggling with high histamine symptoms along with typical POTs symptoms. I also have horrible hypoglycemia. My only diagnosis so far is POTS.

A BIG thank you to all who have suggestions for me.

Amy

caledonia

Hi Amy,

You have one First Priority mutation, which is CBS. You have the major CBS - C699T, and all the BHMTs, which can add to CBS or even cause a CBS problem without a CBS mutation. You're sensitive to methyl donors. I'd say there is an extremely high probability you have a CBS problem, and will have to spend a few months doing a CBS protocol before you can proceed with the other supps.

I've successfully used the Heartfixers CBS protocol except for I used the Free Thiol diet, and didn't use any of Yasko's RNA supps. It took me three months and I'm still on some maintenance CBS support (25mcg molybdenum, boron, carnitine).

Then you have MTHFR C677T, so some methylfolate for that. You have MTR and MTRR, which is the B12 double whammy - problems with both B12 intake and recycling. So some B12 for that.

For your COMT/VDR combo, Yasko suggests all three types of cobalamin (methyl, hydroxy and adenosyl), with less methyl.

For the BHMTs, some lecithin to generate TMG.

For MAO A - Yasko suggests sprinkles of 5htp, but only after balancing the rest of the cycle and only if you're still experiencing symptoms which would warrant it.

VDR Fok is involved with blood sugar regulation. Here's what Yasko via Heartfixer says:
The VDR (Vitamin D Receptor) Fok defect affects blood sugar control and pancreatic function. It does not affect dopamine metabolism. Dr. Yasko recommends Vitamin K and generalized support of pancreatic function and sugar regulation (low carbohydrate diet, supplementation with chromium, etc.) when the VDR Fok abnormality is an issue.

NOS - Here's what Heartfixer says about that:

In a BH4 dependent reaction, Nitric Oxide Synthase (NOS) converts Arginine in to Nitric Oxide, the molecule that resists plaque formation, vasospasm, and abnormal clotting. If you can make and maintain Nitric Oxide then you will not develop cardiovascular disease. If you have cardiovascular disease and if we can successfully reboot your Nitric Oxide system, than we can stabilize your disease. Every maneuver in drug and non-drug cardiovascular medicine that improves patient symptomatic status and outcome works on this system. Every risk factor (or causative factor for cardiovascular disease) compromises Nitric Oxide generation or maintenance. NOS is also involved in ammonia detoxification, a job that distracts it from its Nitric Oxide generating duties and which uses up BH4. Without adequate levels of BH4 Nitric Oxide Synthase will not convert Arginine in to beneficial Nitric Oxide, but rather in to undesirable free radical species such as superoxide or peroxynitrite.

The NOS D298E abnormality codes for a dysfunctional NOS enzyme. It has trouble breaking down ammonia and it has trouble generating Nitric Oxide. NOS (+) individuals are at greater risk for developing all forms of cardiovascular disease, for experiencing adverse events, and for restenosis following balloon angioplasty. A component of “a positive family history of cardiovascular disease” is related to genes coding for high cholesterol, elevated lipoprotein (a), and iron over absorption. The rest likely relates to inherited abnormalities in NOS, ACE, and the other Methyl Cycle genes. If you are NOS (+) we will pay particular attention to maneuvers designed to lower your ammonia burden, and to address risk factors that compromise Nitric Oxide. As the products of a compromised or genetically abnormal NOS system are the free radicals superoxide and peroxynitrite, aggressive antioxidant supplementation makes sense here (while a broad spectrum program of antioxidant supplementation is always wise, we specifically use Vitamin C to neutralize superoxide and 5-methyl folate to neutralize peroxynitrite). I give two separate two hour presentations on Endothelial Dysfunction, which we have on cassette tape (we will likely have a DVD presentation available late next fall). BH4 supplementation has been demonstrated to improve Nitric Oxide generation and endothelial function in individuals with risk factors such as hyperlipidemia, and we presume that it will do the same in individuals with Methyl Cycle abnormalities.

caledonia

Histamine - I just heard something on an MTHFRsupport podcast. I think they were saying an overabundance of lactobacillus relative to bifidobacterium could cause this, but I need to go back and check to be sure.

I've also seen a video which had something about methylation and histamine, but I'll have to go back and look for that too. I think it was from one of the supplement companies.

caledonia

Histamine - I just heard something on an MTHFRsupport podcast. I think they were saying an overabundance of lactobacillus relative to bifidobacterium could cause this, but I need to go back and check to be sure.

I've also seen a video which had something about methylation and histamine, but I'll have to go back and look for that too. I think it was from one of the supplement companies.

Ok, I've gone back and checked. The MTHFRsupport podcast is here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/mthfrsupport/2013/11/21/roundtable-discussion-nutrigenomics
About an hour in, a lady calls in talking about her daughter. If she supplements with lactobacillus, her histamine problems get worse. If she supplements with bifidobacterium, her histamine problems get better. Michael Gruttadauria is a little confused because he believes leaky gut in general could cause this.

The video is here:
!
Low SAMe can cause problems with histamine. About 15 minutes in. Video by Douglas Labs.

Caledonia,
I am so thankful for all of this information you have provided me!! It is all awesome!! Did you go through heartfixer for a consultation or did you read the info there and do it all on your own?

I have traditionally had a problem with probiotics so had to quit taking them. I had read about the histamine connection to some of the strains and bought the Align, which is only the bifidobacterium infantis, to try. I think it makes me tired. I'm not sure what to do about that. I know I need them. I see in your signature you have the 4R Gut Rebuilding Program. Have you used this yourself? What all have you done to rebuild your gut and what has been successful?

It has been a long time since I've had any gut labs run. I'm sure they would be helpful now that I know a little more about what I'm doing and what I need to look for.

You are so nice to help those on this board. THANK YOU!!!!

Amy

Caledonia,
Do you know why heartfixer says so much that those who are -/- for COMT like me do well on methyl donors when I don't do well with them? I'm sure the answer is right in front of me but I just can't see it. I know that the CBS +/+ makes a difference but when I read the heartfixer info it still sounds like if I followed their treatment plan I would be put on a LOT of methyl donors.

Amy