• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation - 23andME Genetic Genie Results help

Gene & VariationrsIDAllelesResult
COMT V158Mrs4680AG+/-
COMT H62Hrs4633CT+/-
COMT P199Prs769224GG-/-
VDR Bsmrs1544410CT+/-
VDR Taqrs731236AG+/-
MAO A R297Rrs6323G-/-
ACAT1-02rs3741049GG-/-
MTHFR C677Trs1801133AA+/+
MTHFR 03 P39Prs2066470GG-/-
MTHFR A1298Crs1801131TT-/-
MTR A2756Grs1805087AA-/-
MTRR A66Grs1801394GG+/+
MTRR H595Yrs10380CC-/-
MTRR K350Ars162036AA-/-
MTRR R415Trs2287780CC-/-
MTRR A664Ars1802059AG+/-
BHMT-02rs567754CC-/-
BHMT-04rs617219AA-/-
BHMT-08rs651852CC-/-
AHCY-01rs819147TT-/-
AHCY-02rs819134AA-/-
AHCY-19rs819171TT-/-
CBS C699Trs234706AA+/+
CBS A360Ars1801181GG-/-
CBS N212Nrs2298758GG-/-
SHMT1 C1420Trs1979277GG-/-

Above are my results. From what I've read this looks like a pretty serious amount of mutations. That would make sense given my deteriorating health over the past ten years. I recently started Methyl B12 and glutathione injections which have been helping but I have a long way to go. Any recommendations/information people could provide would be AWESOME!! Thanks in advance. Let me know if there is a better place to post this. Some of my symptoms include: muscle cramps, severe fatigue, migraines, multiple food intolerances/sensitivities, depression/anxiety, the list goes on.

@shepard515 - MTHFR C677T being homozygous means that your methylfolate production is at 30% of normal. Hence methylfolate supplementation may be helpful.

MTRR A66G being homozygous means that you have to produce 3-4 times as much of it to create methionine at a normal rate. Supplementing with B12 can help with that.

The COMT, VDR, and MAOA genotypes you have listed aren't particularly slow or fast. Hence they don't give much of a clue as to whether or not you'd tolerate methylB12. Hence hydroxoB12 might be the safer form to try, especially if you want to do high doses. If hydroxoB12 doesn't help, and you want to try methylB12 instead, be sure to watch out for potassium issues.

caledonia

COMT V158M +/-
VDR Bsm +/-
VDR Taq +/-
MTHFR C677T+/+
MTRR A66G+/+
MTRR A664A+/-
CBS C699T+/+

You have one First Priority mutation, which is CBS. If you have problems with sulfur foods, medicines or supplements, or problems tolerating methyl supplements such as a stress/anxiety reaction, this is an indication that this is expressed. So far you're doing ok with methylB12 and glutathione (sulfur), so you may be all right, and may not have to address CBS.

You have a pretty serious MTHFR mutation, so methylfolate is suggested for that. You have a couple of MTRR (B12 recycling) mutations, so some B12 for that.

With your COMT/VDR combination, Yasko suggests hydroxycobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. This means you could be prone to mood swings if taking methylcobalamin.

Supplementing with glutathione could be counterproductive if you don't have enough NAD (a form of niacin). The goal is to increase reduced glutathione and not oxidized glutathione. See the Ben Lynch videos Clinical Breakthroughs 2013 #1 and #2 for more info.

Take it easy when starting methylfolate. Have some nicotinic acid on hand, just in case you get into an overmethylation situation. See Start Low and Go Slow in my signature.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have 2 CBS mutations and my doctor, who does methylation, has me on 400 mcg molybdenum for 3 months to take care of it. She has not changed my diet.

Freddd

Gene & VariationrsIDAllelesResult
COMT V158Mrs4680AG+/-
COMT H62Hrs4633CT+/-
COMT P199Prs769224GG-/-
VDR Bsmrs1544410CT+/-
VDR Taqrs731236AG+/-
MAO A R297Rrs6323G-/-
ACAT1-02rs3741049GG-/-
MTHFR C677Trs1801133AA+/+
MTHFR 03 P39Prs2066470GG-/-
MTHFR A1298Crs1801131TT-/-
MTR A2756Grs1805087AA-/-
MTRR A66Grs1801394GG+/+
MTRR H595Yrs10380CC-/-
MTRR K350Ars162036AA-/-
MTRR R415Trs2287780CC-/-
MTRR A664Ars1802059AG+/-
BHMT-02rs567754CC-/-
BHMT-04rs617219AA-/-
BHMT-08rs651852CC-/-
AHCY-01rs819147TT-/-
AHCY-02rs819134AA-/-
AHCY-19rs819171TT-/-
CBS C699Trs234706AA+/+
CBS A360Ars1801181GG-/-
CBS N212Nrs2298758GG-/-
SHMT1 C1420Trs1979277GG-/-

Above are my results. From what I've read this looks like a pretty serious amount of mutations. That would make sense given my deteriorating health over the past ten years. I recently started Methyl B12 and glutathione injections which have been helping but I have a long way to go. Any recommendations/information people could provide would be AWESOME!! Thanks in advance. Let me know if there is a better place to post this. Some of my symptoms include: muscle cramps, severe fatigue, migraines, multiple food intolerances/sensitivities, depression/anxiety, the list goes on.

Hi Shepard,,

The glutathione can be making the MeCbl totally useless and causing or worsening your symptoms. It can cause methyltrap in hours to days and from there proceed to brain and cord damage in the form of Subacute Combined Degeneration. It did for me and 9 others who were in an N=10 trial the 10 of us, all well along in healing, tried. Just the symptoms you mention appear to me methyltrap symptoms.

@minkeygirl is the molybdenum helping?

@Freddd those were the symptoms I was having prior to methyl B12 and Glutathione. They have been improving since starting that regimen. I plan to begin adding methylfolate this weekend in very small doses. Any thoughts or recommendations? I certainly don't want to be doing any brain or cord damage.

Freddd

HI Shepard,

Are you still doing glutathione? How, How much, how often. For getting your money's worth I would suggest no glutathione so you can have a methylation startup. Or at the very least your situation is simplified so the effects you get have fewer possible answers and confusions. Also both MeCbl and AdoCbl.

In a lot of research on b12 and folate they have mentioned how there appears to be some sort of triage system. I have described the layers of healing that approximately describe at least the easily visible layers. Now a whole layer starts up at a time and if what you are taking for that isn't enough, it suddenly starts robbing the other layers to give enough to the one that has had healing start.

When the absorbed daily dose reaches about 100mcg of MeCbl (Enzymatic Therapy) and AdoCbl (Anabol Naturals Dibencoplex) methylation can start up with a bang regardless of dose of Metafolin so one gets low folate symptoms and frequently low potassium on about the third day after methylation starts. However, if deadlocked on ATP then AdoCbl and LCF are both needed to get things going.

If those don't then there3 about half a dozen more "next most frequent" deadlocking items.. If a person keeps trying to choke off methylation by starving it of Metafolin they will have all sorts of indefinite and changing symptoms but not in the way they change as they heal. They will keep retracing the same ground over and over. The AdoCbl is needed to actually be able to heal the nerves with the other cofactors.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Freddd I am currently doing Methyl B12 shots with 100mg of Glutathione every tuesday as well as 800mg of glutathione via IV on Fridays. I also take a daily 1000mcg liquid methyl B12 sublingual. I just ordered some AdoCbl and will be adding that in along with methyfolate.

Freddd

@Freddd I am currently doing Methyl B12 shots with 100mg of Glutathione every tuesday as well as 800mg of glutathione via IV on Fridays. I also take a daily 1000mcg liquid methyl B12 sublingual. I just ordered some AdoCbl and will be adding that in along with methyfolate.

Hi Shepard,

How much MeCbl per injection? How often? I was doing 4x7.5mg daily to maintain CNS healing. The glutathione flushed it all out of my blood in hours. It appeared to change the serum halflife post injection from 20-50 minutes as research indicates to flushing out more than I injected in 2-3 hours.

I can't stress enough how superior the Enzymatic Therapy B12 infusion really is. I have found that when held for 2 hours it can be absorbed at up to 25-33%. When chewed and swallowed in a few minutes it might absorb 1-3%. There seems to be a very clear relationship between time in contact with tissue and absorption. Also MeCbl in solution is fragile and broken down quickly by light unless in a completely opaque container.

joshi81

fredd what do you think about methyl-mate nasal spray??? also in that case if you sray it in your nose it will stay there much longer in contact with the mucosa without the "stress" of keeping for hours the tablet in you mouth

Freddd

fredd what do you think about methyl-mate nasal spray??? also in that case if you sray it in your nose it will stay there much longer in contact with the mucosa without the "stress" of keeping for hours the tablet in you mouth

Hi Josh,

I've never tried it. If it works for somebody, and I like a person to have at least tried a bottle of the Enzymatic Therapy for comparison and a common definition of "working", then great. One might find that it takes 1 spray every 15 minutes for 2 hours to equal the tablet or maybe a single spray if it works well. That's why a comparison test is critical to just know what we are speaking of. Good luck.

@Freddd

I recently saw how important potassium is and thought it may the reason for extreeme anxiety/mood swings when taking methylfolate. I've begun adding potassium supplements in and think it is benefitting me. However, from what I've read I need to get substantial amounts and supplements only come in 99mg. My question would be... how can I get more potassium? Also, I am little bit worried because I've read things that say too much potassium can kill you. If I buy a bulk supplement what is the risk of taking too much? What would too much potassium be? Any thoughts?

Freddd

@shepard515 Potassium will not kill you if you don't overdose it.
You can use diet to help you with it: bananas, figs, dried apricots etc... there's many food that can provide you with the equivalent of 5-6 of those 99mg tablets without any risk of overdose.

There's a thread in this section about potassium deficiency that will help also:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ssium-deficiency-share-your-experience.25568/

Hi PeterPositive,

Potassium absorbed from food in the usual routine of things takes about 14 hours to reach serum peak from a given meal. On an empty stomach 3 or 4 of those 99mg tablets with a glass of water can relieve the spasms and other symptoms for about 6 hours. The other factor, when one needs 2000-3000mg a day to reach a "no low potassium symptoms" level is I don't remember anybody saying that they have been able to reach a zero low potassium symptoms point on food alone though I remember a lot saying they were going to try. So a person may need an extra 5-6 such doses of food a day. There is about 0.5-1 calories (much bigger range than that, but we are talking an ordinary mix of foods) per mg of potassium containing food. So, with an extra 2000 calories a day, one can get a lot of extra potassium, but I could gain 3-5 pounds a week on it. So that itself then requires another 1000 or more mgs to support the additional tissue growth for gaining weight. It's hard to have sufficiency of potassium on 1500 calories at all without healing. I have had these kinds of low potassium symptoms much of my life which I now recognize easily.. Even as a child and teen I woke up screaming in pain from nighttime spasms. I went in and out of paradoxical deficiency all my life and in and out of low potassium all my life.

Low serum potassium uncorrected for an extended time lowers tissue potassium and will kill somebody. At least 3 people here have reported ER visits for low potassium. It is something that for me has required active management every day the second I spot the earliest possible low potassium symptoms.

Low potassium is a genuine danger. I see all sorts of people get all upset about the possibility of 1 in 10,000 or 1 in 1000 type risks and ignore this very real 4 out of 5 who get heal significantly risk. You know, I take or have taken any number of medications with 1 in a million drop dead risk. Around here I am more likely to be struck by lightning or killed driving to the doctors office. But low potassium is a real risk.

So eat all the potassium foods you can manage and then be prepared to take 1000-3000mg additional potassium if healing gets going well. Leaving the symptoms untreated or hoping they might go away is dangerous. So each time one has to take "breakthrough" potassium, increase the base until you don't require that more than every few weeks.

Freddd

@Freddd

I recently saw how important potassium is and thought it may the reason for extreeme anxiety/mood swings when taking methylfolate. I've begun adding potassium supplements in and think it is benefitting me. However, from what I've read I need to get substantial amounts and supplements only come in 99mg. My question would be... how can I get more potassium? Also, I am little bit worried because I've read things that say too much potassium can kill you. If I buy a bulk supplement what is the risk of taking too much? What would too much potassium be? Any thoughts?

Hi Shepard,

The form of potassium with the black box warning about tissue death are time release prescription potassium chloride. They can get trapped in contact with the intestine tissues and destroy the tissue leading to necrosis. The newer preparations typically have microencapsulated potassium that spreads out so that it can't kill the intestinal walls. It is not the amount of potassium. One has to overdose outrageously or have kidney disease, and it takes a long time to build tissue levels of potassium to dangerous levels. it is virtually unheard of except in scare stories in the absence of kidney damage. The odds of too much potassium killing you is way less than too little potassium doing so. And it isn't going to happen while exhibiting low potassium symptoms. Each time you have low potassium symptoms the multi year counter for too much potassium starts over.

Now I assume you are not going to be trying to take 10,000 or 20,000mg a day. That would make you so sick the next day you wouldn't have time to build up a dangerous level. The urine is the usual control on potassium, getting rid of potassium daily and even more if one has too much. My stomach and intestine tolerance level, with food and spread out is under 3000mg a day. Anything higher is insatiable for me. Then I found if I reduced extra B1, B2 and B3, I cut my need to an amount I could tolerate.

@Freddd

Ok, sounds good. I'm currently taking potassium chloride.. not time released just bulk powder form Probably under 2,000mg per day. Just started and plan to up that since I still have muscle spasms, etc. is that an issue? Also, I ordered some magnesium carbonate along with it as I thought it's probably good to keep those balanced. Thanks for all the help.

Freddd

@Freddd

Ok, sounds good. I'm currently taking potassium chloride.. not time released just bulk powder form Probably under 2,000mg per day. Just started and plan to up that since I still have muscle spasms, etc. is that an issue? Also, I ordered some magnesium carbonate along with it as I thought it's probably good to keep those balanced. Thanks for all the help.

Hi Shepard,

I often put 500mg or so of potassium chloride in a capsule and that with a meal as it disperses as soon as the capsule dissolves, MIXED WITH FOOD. It is much more compact than 5x tablets.