• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acid Inhibition Associated with B12 Deficiency

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I thought this item from Physicians' First Watch would interest people with ME, as many of us seem to have B12 deficiency and some have taken/are taking proton pump inhibitors (not sure re histamine-2 receptor antagonists).

Acid Inhibition Associated with B12 Deficiency
By Joe Elia

Use of acid-suppressing drugs for more than 2 years is associated with a greater risk for vitamin B12 deficiency, according to a JAMA study. Gastric acid plays a key role in extracting B12 from dietary proteins.

Using Kaiser Permanente health records, researchers identified 26,000 cases of incident B12 deficiency, comparing their medication histories with those of 185,000 controls without the condition.

Incident B12 deficiency was more likely among those who'd received 2 years or more of proton pump inhibitors than among nonusers (odds ratio, 1.65). The effect was more pronounced in those taking 1.5 PPI pills a day or more; similar dose-dependent effects occurred with histamine-2 receptor antagonists. The association weakened with time after discontinuation of drug use.

The authors write that their findings don't argue against acid suppression, but instead advise that "clinicians should exercise appropriate vigilance" when prescribing the drugs.

Link(s):
JAMA article (Free abstract) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;67930462;9aZjLxbDtDBUvRf3jbnVf9Wg5naPdL2x8id3q/CAMqU=

Helen

I thought this item from Physicians' First Watch would interest people with ME, as many of us seem to have B12 deficiency and some have taken/are taking proton pump inhibitors (not sure re histamine-2 receptor antagonists).

Thanks MeSci.
Also people with hypothyroidism, who are not properly treated ( too often they are not .See www.stopthethyroidmadness.com) and they may because of that have too little stomach acid for a good B12 uptake.
Then we now know that all but a few here on PR have polymorphisms that also (might) impair the B12 metabolism (MTHFR+MTR/MTRR).

Edit (see MeSci) : I meant "all that have been gene tested" as we can´t know about others. Just a guess if they feel much better on B12 and/or folate ...as so many do.

Last edited:

MeSci

Then we now know that all but a few here on PR have polymorphisms that also (might) impair the B12 metabolism (MTHFR+MTR/MTRR).

I wonder whether the majority here know whether or not they have these polymorphisms. I don't know whether I have. I had some genetic tests years ago but can't remember where I put the results! So I don't know whether they did those ones. Must try to find them...

Helen

I wonder whether the majority here know whether or not they have these polymorphisms. I don't know whether I have. ...

You are right. I should have written "all that have been gene tested". That is what I thought. Hope you will find your tests! MTHFR is the most explored of all , I was told, so hopefully you will find at least this SNP.

MeSci

You are right. I should have written "all that have been gene tested". That is what I thought. Hope you will find your tests! MTHFR is the most explored of all , I was told, so hopefully you will find at least this SNP.

I have found it! Now I have to do some reading on here about what relevance the polymorphisms have for ME. The blurb with my results already points to some relevant issues.