• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Elevated B12, but normal MMA and very low homocysteine?

Anyone had the above combo? I am so tired of chasing around this B12 ghost. I have exhausted just about all the tests, but still my B12 is moderately out of range, around 1300, but MMA is within range 174 with upper range being 376. Also urine homocysteine showed it extremely low. I don't remember the value, but it was waaaay below 0. Any thoughts on what can be keeping my B12 moderately elevated?

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
my b12 is always high, no doctor has ever given any attention to that. I've seen this result posted on this forum a few times, I guess it needs some tough

my b12 is always high, no doctor has ever given any attention to that. I've seen this result posted on this forum a few times, I guess it needs some tough
Yah, I read one person's account, maybe it was on this site... and she said that her B12 was slightly high and her doctor said it is just like height--some people are 6'5'' and some people are 5'6''.. so in his mind some people have average B12 and some have high. Ha. I laughed out loud. So ridiculous.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
for what I read somewhere else, a possible explanation obtained by common sense is that the body is not capable of using all the b12 it needs, therefore there's an exess of it. not being able to use it would have the same consecuencies as not having enough, the exact same

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Anyone had the above combo? I am so tired of chasing around this B12 ghost. I have exhausted just about all the tests, but still my B12 is moderately out of range, around 1300, but MMA is within range 174 with upper range being 376. Also urine homocysteine showed it extremely low. I don't remember the value, but it was waaaay below 0. Any thoughts on what can be keeping my B12 moderately elevated?

They are probably measuring total B12 and much of that may not be usable, so I'd guess that the MMA is a more accurate measurement. I think that with adequate active B12 your MMA would be close to zero (if I remember correctly!). So you may be "functionally" low on B12 unless they actually measured active B12.

Best,
Sushi

Oohhh, really? I thought that as long as MMA was not elevated that B12 was fine. Huh. I'll have to do some further digging around. Thanks!