• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amino Acids Anyone?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I have been trying different supplements and herbs. The Pall Protocol seemed to work o.k. at first and then I had a major flare up and it seems to be ineffective now. I tried a multi-vitamin from Walmart that my husband was taking called OneSource Energy for men. It seems to work very well (better than the Pall Protocol), but I can't figure out why. It has lots of vitamins, including D3 and Large doses of B-Vitamins, antioxidants, and some amino acids. I think it might be the amino acids that are different from the Pall Protocol so I would like to try more of those.

In particular, I am confused as to what amino acids would be beneficial and what would not, especially when it comes to Glycine, Glutamine, Arginine and Aspartate. Some say they are great and some say not so much. I am pretty sure I should stay away from the Aspartate and Glutamine. I have fibromyalgia and CFS, so I would think I would want to stay away from anything that helps to create more glutamate or is a neuroexcitatory. But, I don't know. I am thinking about trying each amino acid one by one for a couple weeks to see what happens.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might work and what might not?

I am slowly trying several supplements, herbs, and vitamins that are said to help with CFS and FMS. I have about 50 different things right now that I am going to try one by one. It should take me about a year. Seriously.

HERE IS THE LIST OF AMINO ACIDS I AM INTERESTED IN TRYING:

essential amino acids
non-essential amino acids

My next step is to buy some herbs and antibiotics that treat mycoplasma just to see if there is any improvement. I think after that, I will have officially tried just about everything I can try without getting into a scientific study. I am hoping something will work.:(

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
If you interested purely in energy, acetyl tyrosine on an empty stomach in the morning I find helpful. Theoretically increases noradrenaline and dopamine. Sometimes I add the herb macuna dopa which contains amino acid l-dopa which on its own is a prescription medicine.

So the combination I find good for occasional use. If fibro is a big issue then this may help pain as dopamine has been shown to be low in fibro and noradrenaline can also help reduce pain.

Cheers

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
So the pall treatment seems to be working again?
Yes. I have been trying a lot of supplements and sometimes I get impatient and try too many at once. I have tried prescription Estrogen Cream before and it did the same thing. This time it was Estrogen from Hops extract. For some reason my body really does not like estrogen. The crash was so bad that I thought the Pall Protocol had failed. I went off of the Pall Protocol and then back on to make sure. The pain is still much less when I am on it.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
If you interested purely in energy, acetyl tyrosine on an empty stomach in the morning I find helpful. Theoretically increases noradrenaline and dopamine. Sometimes I add the herb macuna dopa which contains amino acid l-dopa which on its own is a prescription medicine.

So the combination I find good for occasional use. If fibro is a big issue then this may help pain as dopamine has been shown to be low in fibro and noradrenaline can also help reduce pain.

Cheers

That's interesting Heapsreal. I have tried Acetyl-L Tyrosine and it actually has a relaxing effect on me, so I started taking it at night. Also, 5-htp makes me a bit restless and that is supposed to halve a calming effect. I wonder why I react differently? I bought some NOW Mucuna L-Dopa, but I have not gotten around to trying it yet. Maybe I will try that one this weekend.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
That's interesting Heapsreal. I have tried Acetyl-L Tyrosine and it actually has a relaxing effect on me, so I started taking it at night. Also, 5-htp makes me a bit restless and that is supposed to halve a calming effect. I wonder why I react differently? I bought some NOW Mucuna L-Dopa, but I have not gotten around to trying it yet. Maybe I will try that one this weekend.

interesting, maybe it increasing dopamine alot more then noradrenaline and sometimes people can get sleepy with dopamine?? i usually take 2 x 350mg acetyl tyrosine, i wonder if its worth trying to increase the dose for you??
Another example i suppose of how different we all react to things.

cheers!!

Grigor

I am about to try Tyrosine. Bit afraid it will be to stimulating for me. But I'm low in no epinephrine & epinephrine. So it should be good for that?
And also will help with the adrenals I guess?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I am about to try Tyrosine. Bit afraid it will be to stimulating for me. But I'm low in no epinephrine & epinephrine. So it should be good for that?
And also will help with the adrenals I guess?
Grigor, have you ever tried NADH? That is supposed to be a good booster of norepinephrine and dopamine.

Here is a definition:
NADH (reduced ß-nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) - is a natural coenzyme of vitamin B3 which works at the cellular level, stimulating energy production within the cells and supporting the development of vital neurotransmitters (norepinephrine and dopamine)

Grigor

No haven't yet. The Tyrosine gave loose stool. Not a good idea with the IBS-D. Should maybe try NADH. Getting a bit skeptic with all these supplements actually working for me grrrr

I have been trying different supplements and herbs. The Pall Protocol seemed to work o.k. at first and then I had a major flare up and it seems to be ineffective now. I tried a multi-vitamin from Walmart that my husband was taking called OneSource Energy for men. It seems to work very well (better than the Pall Protocol), but I can't figure out why. It has lots of vitamins, including D3 and Large doses of B-Vitamins, antioxidants, and some amino acids. I think it might be the amino acids that are different from the Pall Protocol so I would like to try more of those.

In particular, I am confused as to what amino acids would be beneficial and what would not, especially when it comes to Glycine, Glutamine, Arginine and Aspartate. Some say they are great and some say not so much. I am pretty sure I should stay away from the Aspartate and Glutamine. I have fibromyalgia and CFS, so I would think I would want to stay away from anything that helps to create more glutamate or is a neuroexcitatory. But, I don't know. I am thinking about trying each amino acid one by one for a couple weeks to see what happens.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might work and what might not?

I am slowly trying several supplements, herbs, and vitamins that are said to help with CFS and FMS. I have about 50 different things right now that I am going to try one by one. It should take me about a year. Seriously.

HERE IS THE LIST OF AMINO ACIDS I AM INTERESTED IN TRYING:

essential amino acids

non-essential amino acids

My next step is to buy some herbs and antibiotics that treat mycoplasma just to see if there is any improvement. I think after that, I will have officially tried just about everything I can try without getting into a scientific study. I am hoping something will work.:(

I found that trying various amino acids to not be that useful on its own and that in my case, having an ion panel or nutreval helpful, as well as reading Richard Lord's book (650 pages) which you can find on book.cc. For example, my tryptophan was in the "ideal range" and when I supplemented I got depressed, it only lasted a day. My nutreval also showed, my methionine was low and according to Lord's book, chemical sensitivities occur when methionine is low, and I have had chemical sensitivities for years.

I supplemented but then I couldn't supplement anymore because I was feeling bad and my homocysteine was too high and the chemical sensitivities came back even though my methionine was nearly ideal. In any case, it is an interesting avenue to pursue but in my case I believe I have a fungal infection that my body is unable to fix which is taxing my amino acids such as methionine. I have all sorts of other interesting findings too.