• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coffee: genuinely bad for us, a myth, or another "depends on you" ?

HowToEscape?

I'm curious if anyone here knows if there is a consistent reason for us to avoid coffee, either because of
i) some biology or metabolic pathway or
ii) many people's experience using it, though people who have no problems are less likely to raise the issue.

About a year ago I tried quitting coffee entirely for a week, expecting to feel better overall but without the temporary lift. Result: I felt about the same overall (cr-p!), but didn't have the brief window of better functioning coffee gave me. Or the taste, good coffee is way better than typical restaurant swill. That was enough experimenting at the time, so I decided to take it up again. I'm aware that too much will make me more exhausted and that the lift function doesn't always work. It's not magic.

Now I'm taking another look. Is there more going on with it than I'm aware of? Is it placing a burden on some system that isn't immediately obvious? The most knowledgable-seeming person in my local CFS meetup advises avoiding it altogether, regular or decaf. My doc doesn't have an opinion either way. There are times when it's a lifeline, so I don't want to give it up to just be stylish. OTOH, it may be a subtle energy thief, in which case I would cut back, such alternating days on and off. Perhaps it could be doing something I'm totally oblivious to.

Any personal experience or medical knowledge out there?

PennyIA

My personal experience? I went from being a person who drank four to five Pepsi's a day to a person who drank one. There was no difference in energy after the change. I don't tend to get a 'charge'... and in fact, can drink pepsi right up until bedtime and go straight to sleep.

I, too, have been told by someone (in my case an acupuncturist) that I need to give up all caffeine. Pepsi is the only thing I drink all day long that isn't for the purpose of caleries/nutrition (i.e., fruit/veggie smoothies and nutrition supplement shakes)... and actually tastes good (unlike water or an electrolyte beverage). I enjoy Pepsi. I have gone without it during my pregnancies, and after the first week dealing with caffeine withdrawal - it's not that bad.

I am fighting giving it up. As of right now, it's one of those rare pleasures I experience... that first sip of Pepsi first thing in the morning is my little bit of heaven. I am interested in learning more about any science behind the theory that none at all is crucial for health improvement. In my mind, as long as it's in limited quantity, it shouldn't be the worst thing in the world (but nothing to back that up).

caledonia

Caffeine is supposed to put a strain on the adrenals and could cause or aggravate adrenal fatigue situations.

Pepsi has some other things going on besides, such as high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors and colors, phosphoric acid, etc. HFCS contains GMOs which can cause digestive problems, artificial flavors and colors are an additional load your body has to detoxify, etc.

I suggest Teecino as a substitute for coffee, pop, etc.

ukxmrv

I didn't drink coffee at all when I first became ill with ME. It was an acute viral onset. Now I drink 1 cup in the morning at the worst time of the nausea, shaking, vomiting and low BP. It does help making that time of the day a little more bearable.

Overall not drinking coffee did nothing towards improving my health.

If I have severe nausea sometimes Coca-Cola can ease that a little.

My 23 and me results said that I was a fast caffeine metaboliser.

I'm going to continue as I am because my use is low and giving up coffee resulted in no improvements. I'd rather concentrate on things that matter and my diet/choices are all ready too restricted.

HowToEscape?

My personal experience? I went from being a person who drank four to five Pepsi's a day to a person who drank one. There was no difference in energy after the change. I don't tend to get a 'charge'... and in fact, can drink pepsi right up until bedtime and go straight to sleep.

IANAD. Neither is the acupuncturist ;-)
All I know about that is that there's a major amount of sugar in a 20oz soda. Because it's liquid, you can down a lot of it without reducing hunger. Somewhat before my time, Coke was in glass bottles holding 8 ounces.

But if it makes you smile when living with this s--- ... that would be tough to give up!

HowToEscape?

I didn't drink coffee at all when I first became ill with ME. It was an acute viral onset. Now I drink 1 cup in the morning at the worst time of the nausea, shaking, vomiting and low BP. .....

Ouch. I thought I was miserable, staring at a wall during the holidays. At least I can stare at a wall and eat.

taniaaust1

Coffee can be bad for "some" of us, others can find it helpful. If one has coexisting POTS, it can be bad for that too.

For me it works both ways... I have some intollerance to coffee, it can make me feel nauseus. I thou can get away nowdays with having about a quarter of a cup of a weak coffee and that will give me a temporary boost if Im tired. I dont do that very often just if I have something important I need doing as I know its not good for my adrenals.

Last edited:

rosie26

A cup of coffee would give me a hard time in the severe years of my ME. It would exacerbate the shakiness and tremoring inside, unpleasant. Now that my ME is more moderate I tolerate one cup of coffee okay but no more than that in one day. Who knows coffee could have some benefits in some way.

I also have the odd half a glass of coke cola or lemonade, I find it very helpful if I have had severe nausea and weakness and finding it difficult to eat, it just gives me a quick and necessary bit more energy and sometimes aids appetite.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Like ukxmrv I too am a fast caffeine metaboliser based on my 23 and me results, little bits of info like this are so satisfying, (well for me), I now understand why my hubby can have an expresso coffee right befor bed and sleep like a horse!! I've known for years a cup of tea or coffee after 3/4pm was a no no for me. And then you find its all down to your genes!!

peggy-sue

I used to drink 6 large mugs of coffee a day, but since getting ill, I have cut back to two smaller mugs.
However, I like it strong, I use a very high roast.

I don't do well without it; I do seem to be able to tolerate it, but consistent with the percieved "wisdom", I cannot tolerate nearly as much as I used to.

My two (beautiful, porcelain) mugs of coffee a day are one of my great pleasures in life.
Two little islands of deliciousness to look forward to, every day.:love:

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I have had to give up all caffeine due to it making adrenal/hypoglycaemia symptoms worse. If I drink any coffee at all I get nasty shakes, palpitations and breathlessness.
Anyone dealing with adrenal dysfcuntion or anxiety of any sort should ideally avoid all caffeine.

I notice Dr Myhill says its all right in moderation if you tolerate it, dark chocolate as well - which does the same thing to me. I also have the same result from eating more than a small amount of sugar - gives me the shakes and jitters and keeps me awake for hours and hours.

I do miss the taste of coffee sometimes - last year we wnet on holiday for the first time in years and iu had a large mug of decaff capuchinno with a spoonful of sugar and it was heaven.

peggy-sue

I never got the shakes and tremors from drinking coffee.:D

A few years ago, Michael took me to Amsterdam for a long weekend of culture-vulturing.
They have really lovely coffee there.

We were sitting in a bar having a little break one afternoon.

Michael was having a couple of beers, he went to order my 5th cup of coffee.

The barman gave me a funny look, and whispered to Michael;

"Don't you think she's had enough?"

I thought this was hysterical, :p given I'm an alcoholic and have never, ever had that said of me in a bar before!

Last edited:

alex3619

I now find I am medically required to consume coffee or tea, both of which contain caffeine. This does not include cola drinks so far as I am aware. This is because I currently have iron poisoning, and chemicals in these drinks (including tannins) reduce iron absorption from the diet. However I am not sure my iron poisoning is dietary.