• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CD4/CD8 Testing.

SOC

I'm trying to make sure I get the right panel here and Labcorp has several options...Does anyone know what the best choice would be?

I'm leaning towards this one, but is it overkill?

Helper/Suppressor and Natural Killer Cell Profile

https://www.labcorp.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/c1/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os_hACzO_QCM_IwMLXyM3AyNjMycDU2dXQwN3M6B8JG55AwMCuv088nNT9QtyI8oBPK_DWA!!/dl2/d1/L0lDU0NTQ1FvS1VRIS9JSFJBQUlnb0FNeUtibTZtL1lCSkp3NDU0a3N1eWx3ISEvN19VRTRTMUk5MzBPR1MyMElTM080TjJONjY4MC9zZWFyY2hCeUtleXdvcmQ!/?criterion=CD4:CD8 Ratio Profile&x=21&y=16

Thank you!
Are you aware that the NK cell dysfunction most common in ME is not NK cell numbers, but NK cell function? The test you're looking at doesn't test for function. I wouldn't expect most of the results from that test to come back abnormal, so it might not be worth the cost.

That said, my daughter does have low NK cell number and I have low CD8+ cell number, both of which would show up on the test you're considering. They're just not the most common immune dysfunction in ME/CFS.

Ema

Thanks @SOC!

I didn't think that Labcorp tested for NK cell function which is why I didn't ask about that in particular.

But maybe I am wrong?

acer2000

Labcorp has a variety of panels that measure T and B cells, phenotypes, NK cells listed via that link you posted. These are ordered sometimes and can have interesting info about your immune system. But the previous posters are correct, they aren't listing the NK cell function assay – just tests that show you the count. Both count and function could be informative, but it really just depends on why your doctor wants to order the test to begin with.

Another thing you should know about the NK cell function assay is that its very time sensitive. It needs to get to the lab right away to be accurate. Its also typically run against a control. I don't know if these large commercial labs do that or not.

That being said, Labcorp will send the NK cell function assay out to a reference lab (recently Viracor but in the past Focus) if you doctor sets it up with them. However, there is no advantage to you doing it through them. And the end of last year they started billing with the wrong procedure codes for the test and it now causes practically everyone who gets the test through them to have it rejected by their insurance. I'd see if your doctor can order it through Focus or Viracor directly, or use Quest (who uses Focus) and seems to bill things correctly. Also Dr. Klimas lab in Miami will do the tests. If you do it through labcorp there is a high chance you will be stuck with a $700 bill.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
if u do get the cd4/8 ratio, try to get the individual cd4 and cd8 numbers too. Out of the 7 billion cd tests i have had the ratio has only been abnormal once but the individual cd4/cd8 numbers have always been elevated.

SOC

Thanks @SOC!

I didn't think that Labcorp tested for NK cell function which is why I didn't ask about that in particular.

But maybe I am wrong?
I don't know if Labcorp does one. I get mine at Miami U's (now NOVA's) immune lab. My local lab told me that Mayo does NK function, too.

Ema

I'm trying to make a case that I have an adenosine deaminase deficiency based on genetic mutations. These genetic mutations in their most severe form cause SCID, a disease until recently that was generally fatal before age 3. It is said that carriers are not symptomatic but I am not sure how they know that!

So I am trying to "prove" that I have fewer than "normal" levels of T, B, and NK cells...it shouldn't be too hard to fall somewhere in that overly broad range, right?

Cell typeNormal lymphocyte countX-SCID count
T-cells 5,500 200
B-cells800 1,300
NK cells800 <100
TotalSix months: 7,300 <2,000

Last edited:

SOC

I'm trying to make a case that I have an adenosine deaminase deficiency based on genetic mutations. These genetic mutations in their most severe form cause SCID, a disease until recently that was generally fatal before age 3. It is said that carriers are not symptomatic but I am not sure how they know that!

So I am trying to "prove" that I have fewer than "normal" levels of T, B, and NK cells...it shouldn't be too hard to fall somewhere in that overly broad range, right?

Cell typeNormal lymphocyte countX-SCID count
T-cells5,500200
B-cells8001,300
NK cells800<100
TotalSix months: 7,300<2,000

What is this immune cell data? Is it something for SCID diagnosis?

SOC

Yes, for X-SCID. I figure my levels should be less than normal but higher than SCID.
I see. :) That must be a different measure than my data since the normal ranges are quite different. Am I reading it correctly that B-cell count in X-SCID is higher than the normal count?

Ema

This is all very complicated and I'm still learning. But in that type of x-linked SCID, B cells are normal to high. I'm not sure about other forms but it probably says in this light reading.

http://www.springer.com/cda/content...0785378-c1.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-655414-p173815604

I am trying to determine a profile for myself and then compare to these immunodeficiencies.

Cheney wrote about these deficiencies as early as 2005. I'm trying to find out from him if he ever treated anyone with the synthetic enzyme replacement successfully.

SOC

This is all very complicated and I'm still learning. But in that type of x-linked SCID, B cells are normal to high. I'm not sure about other forms but it probably says in this light reading.

http://www.springer.com/cda/content...0785378-c1.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-655414-p173815604

I am trying to determine a profile for myself and then compare to these immunodeficiencies.

Cheney wrote about these deficiencies as early as 2005. I'm trying to find out from him if he ever treated anyone with the synthetic enzyme replacement successfully.
Great find! I'm definitely going to read through that since daughter and I have several immune deficiencies. Good luck!