• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Open Medicine Institute continuing ME/CFS Research Pilots with $612,000

Bob

News from Open Medicine Institute:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=451562331614860&l=961af87bf7

Open Medicine Foundation & Institute is thrilled to announce receipt of $612,000 towards a series of investigative research projects which will take us one step further in our quest to find a cure for neuro-immune illnesses.

Compelling areas include an in-depth study of 20 ME/CFS patients:
Whole genome sequencing
A virome survey of oral viral flora
A gene expression study to examine 30,000 human genes for changes in gene expression patterns correlated with improvement/response to treatment
Two proteomic/metabolomic pilot studies:
One looking at over 250,000 protein features per sample. Resulting in a protein profile to compare a baseline ME/CFS patient with responders and non-responders.
The second analysis will examine 30,000 smaller molecule profiles representing toxins and metabolites in the same set of samples. This will further our understanding of what a patient’s profile looks like on a molecular level pre and post-treatment.
Natural killer cells, B-cells, and T-cells will be looked at for functional performance, activation markers when compared between ill and recovered patients
Other Immunology studies will include single cell measurements, acetylation and other cellular parameters
Breath testing for GI flora gas production with dietary changes to start looking at the effect of the gut microbiota on the disease, recovery and treatment
Measurement of mitochondrial and related biochemical pathways that play a role in oxidative stress and energy production, adrenal and thyroid pathways that regulate metabolic function along with full panels of pituitary, gonadal, adrenal and other hormones.
Brain/Cognitive Data will be collected using unique on-line programs including reaction time, short-term memory, latency, and additional cognitive assessments. These data will be correlated with clinical and molecular endpoints
Quantified-Self (self measurement) projects will rely on wearable devices logging data of activity, heart rate, sleep patterns, blood pressure, heart rate variability (a measure of stress) and others

Leading this research effort will be Andreas Kogelnik, MD, PhD of the Open Medicine Institute. OMF Executive Director, Linda Tannenbaum, announced that funding for these critical projects has come from two anonymous donors that have generously stepped forward to accelerate ME/CFS research to the next level. In addition, over $12,000 has been received from generous on-line giving from individuals. The impact these donors are making provides immeasurable hope for the patient community.

Edit

Here is a new formatted version of the above quote:
http://www.openmedicinefoundation.org/news-612000-or-mecfs/

This includes exactly the same info except it (accidentally, I assume) excludes the following section of the study:
"A gene expression study to examine 30,000 human genes for changes in gene expression patterns correlated with improvement/response to treatment."

Open Medicine Institute continuing ME/CFS Research Pilots with $612,000

Open Medicine Foundation & Institute
is thrilled to announce receipt of $612,000 towards a series of investigative research projects which will take us one step further in our quest to find a cure for neuro-immune illnesses.

Compelling areas include an in-depth study of 20 ME/CFS patients:
  • Whole genome sequencing
  • A virome survey of oral viral flora
  • Two proteomic/metabolomic pilot studies:
    • One looking at over 250,000 protein features per sample. Resulting in a protein profile to compare a baseline ME/CFS patient with responders and non-responders.
    • The second analysis will examine 30,000 smaller molecule profiles representing toxins and metabolites in the same set of samples. This will further our understanding of what a patient’s profile looks like on a molecular level pre and post-treatment.

• Natural killer cells, B-cells, and T-cells will be looked at for functional performance, activation markers when compared between ill and recovered patients.
  • Other Immunology studies will include single cell measurements, acetylation and other cellular parameters
  • Breath testing for GI flora gas production with dietary changes to start looking at the effect of the gut microbiota on the disease, recovery and treatment
  • Measurement of mitochondrial and related biochemical pathways that play a role in oxidative stress and energy production, adrenal and thyroid pathways that regulate metabolic function along with full panels of pituitary, gonadal, adrenal and other hormones.
  • Brain/Cognitive Data will be collected using unique on-line programs including reaction time, short-term memory, latency, and additional cognitive assessments. These data will be correlated with clinical and molecular endpoints
  • Quantified-Self (self measurement) projects will rely on wearable devices logging data of activity, heart rate, sleep patterns, blood pressure, heart rate variability (a measure of stress) and others

Leading this research effort will be Andreas Kogelnik, MD, PhD of the Open Medicine Institute. OMF Executive Director, Linda Tannenbaum, announced that funding for these critical projects has come from two anonymous donors that have generously stepped forward to accelerate ME/CFS research to the next level. In addition, over $12,000 has been received from generous on-line giving from individuals. The impact these donors are making provides immeasurable hope for the patient community.

Last edited:

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
God Bless the 2 anonymous donors and all the individual donors that came together to bring another $12,000 to the study.

This is a very broad study and has the potential to produce earth-shaking results or find a definitive direction for further studies and possibly help replicate a past study.

Thanks to everyone involved in this!!!!

Simon

There are lots of really good things about this, starting with over $0.5 million of donations. Then they focus on changes in genes, metabolites and more with improvement and response to treatment, which increases the odds of real rather than chance differences between groups.

Then they collective objective data on activity as well as heart rate etc, all collected by patients using new technology. That really is leveraging technology to make the most of patient input. Putting the congnitive test online is another example (all cognitive tests are done on a computer in any case). So they are creating tremedously rich data incorporating biochemical and physiological and congnitive and activity measurements

I do have a concern is that they seem to have a lot of studies (at least 10) here and I wonder if they will be big enough to produce more than very tentative findings. Certainly 20 patients for gene expression studies is very small - even though it helps that they are trying to correlate the gene expression changes with changes in health status. If ME/CFS is indeed many different illnesses (even CCC definition) then a study of 20 patients won't be able to find much.

I don't want to sound negative because they are doing so many good things here, but I can't help wondering if it would be better to focus the money on a couple of much larger studies.

I've reformatted their post to make it easier to read, please shout if you think I've split it up wrong:

... Compelling areas include:
an in-depth study of 20 ME/CFS patients:
  • 1. Whole genome sequencing
  • 2. A virome survey of oral viral flora
  • 3. A gene expression study to examine 30,000 human genes for changes in gene expression patterns correlated with improvement/response to treatment
Two proteomic/metabolomic pilot studies: [how big?]
  • 4. One looking at over 250,000 protein features per sample. Resulting in a protein profile to compare a baseline ME/CFS patient with responders and non-responders.
  • 5. The second analysis will examine 30,000 smaller molecule profiles representing toxins and metabolites in the same set of samples. This will further our understanding of what a patient’s profile looks like on a molecular level pre and post-treatment.
Immune studies
6. Natural killer cells, B-cells, and T-cells will be looked at for functional performance, activation markers when compared between ill and recovered patients

7 (+)Other Immunology studies will include single cell measurements, acetylation and other cellular parameters
Breath testing for GI flora gas production with dietary changes to start looking at the effect of the gut microbiota on the disease, recovery and treatment

Other work
8 Measurement of mitochondrial and related biochemical pathways
that play a role in oxidative stress and energy production, adrenal and thyroid pathways that regulate metabolic function along with full panels of pituitary, gonadal, adrenal and other hormones.

9 Brain/Cognitive Data will be collected using unique on-line programs including reaction time, short-term memory, latency, and additional cognitive assessments. These data will be correlated with clinical and molecular endpoints

10 Quantified-Self (self measurement) projects will rely on wearable devices logging data of activity, heart rate, sleep patterns, blood pressure, heart rate variability (a measure of stress) and others

Last edited:

Sparrowhawk

Agree, it is a lot to take on, and my impression is that they are not intending to do all of the above just with the money raised, but keep the momentum and raise more, much more, to cover the broader research agenda. That's how I'd approach it, anyway.

SOC

I don't want to sound negative because they are doing so many good things here, but I can't help wondering if it would be better to focus the money on a couple of much larger studies.

The purpose of pilot studies is usually to get a feel for the lay of the land, so to speak -- to try to figure out which areas of research are most likely to produce results. Larger studies are then planned for the topics that appear to be the most promising based on the pilot studies. Pilot studies are rarely (maybe never) conclusive, but they clear the ground if done correctly, and give support for efforts to raise money for bigger studies.

Let's hope that's what OMI is trying to do with these pilots.

Bob

Here is shorter summary of the project in an email that they recently sent out (it repeats the above info, so there is nothing new here):
In-depth study of 20 ME/CFS patients:
Whole genome sequencing
A virome survey of oral viral flora
A gene expression study
Two proteomic/metabolomic pilot studies
Study of Natural killer cells, B-cells, and T-cells
Single cell measurements, acetylation and other cellular parameters
Breath testing for GI flora
Mitochondrial and related pathways that play a role in oxidative stress and energy production
Brain/Cognitive Data - unique on-line measurement program
Quantified-Self (self measurement) projects using wearable devices

And this is the formatted version of their press release (that I quoted in the opening post) (so there's nothing new here either) (Simon was spot-on with his formatting, and got it exactly right):
http://www.openmedicinefoundation.org/news-612000-or-mecfs/

Last edited:

Bob

Extract from recent Open Medicine Institute email.

Current status of OMI-MERIT Projects:

Neuro Registry & Biobank - Pilot Funded
Protein Panels - Pilot Funded
Other Mono & Combo Therapy - Current Crowdfund
Immunologic Biomarker Exploration - Pilot Funded
DNA Genetics - Fully Funded
Mass Spec/ Environmental - Pilot Funded
Viral Testing - Partial Funded
Advanced Biomarker Study - Pilot Funded