• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have I missed anything important?

howirecovered

My 23andme results came back recently and I ran them through sterling's app. Got some help from @stridor and another friend with interpretation and have posted my research under each relevant section at http://howirecovered.com/my-genetics/

I'm hoping this info can be helpful to others and also hoping readers may let me know if we've missed anything important.

I'm 45 and have had CFS symptoms for 30 years or so.. Currently 7 months into methylation support and chelation, all going reasonably well, though by no means easy!

Thanks for reading :D
-eric

Helen

@howirecovered

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if your GSTT1 gene was reported to be present? I think it is very interesting to know if people with mercury-related health problems (I suppose it is mercury you try to chelate?) only do have methylation issues or if they also have mutations in the GST genes. I, and seven others with mercury-related problems, whose gene test results I have seen, do have both. I hope the chelation and methylation protocol will help.

howirecovered

@howirecovered
I wonder if your GSTT1 gene was reported to be present? I think it is very interesting to know if people with mercury-related health problems (I suppose it is mercury you try to chelate?) only do have methylation issues or if they also have mutations in the GST genes. I, and seven others with mercury-related problems, whose gene test results I have seen, do have both. I hope the chelation and methylation protocol will help.

thanks for writing Helen! I do have mercury and lead.

I looked up the raw data on 23 and me and it shows this - does it mean anything to you?
GSTT1.png

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
So I am trying to decide which genetic test to get done, I just posted on it. Did you find it helpful? Which test is better to do (23andME or other.....). I know nothing about genetics but I need to tailor my treatment because methilation as is is not doing it for me.

howirecovered

I have found it very helpful to have a firmer perspective on my illness and the direction I'm going. It has given me confidence in my strategy to give roughly equal weight to chelation and methylation. Also confidence in the idea of taking substantial quantities of methylation supports. For $99 plus the $20 on sterling's app, I think you can't beat it.

Helen

Yes, it means you have a significant deletion in that gene, as do I and several others here. Around 15% of Europeans have most or all of that gene missing

Thanks Sea for the facts.

@howirecovered, I been taught that this has an impact particularly on the conjugation/binding with these enzymes in the G.I. tract. It might cause a vulnerability to symptoms also from here.
I think it is important that we think of the two necessary main processes in detoxification. First we have to have a proper methylation to make adequte levels of glutathione. Then we have to have a good binding/conjugating ability with the glutathione-s-transferase enzymes to make use of the glutathione that we actually have at our disposal. If these two processes don´t work properly we seem to be at risk for heavy metal intoxication and other stuff like mold a.s.o.