• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural Dessicated helped alot...at first!

Zensational

:eek:I have been working with a doctor on South Florida and the put me on a protocol which consists of supplements and bioidentical hormones, biest cream, progesterone cream and testosterone cream.
I took those for about two weeks while they were checking my thyroid for Hashimoto's before prescribing natural dessicated thyroid.
Even though my bloodwork only showed a borderline low thyroid, in the past when I first became ill my outer eyebrows fell completely out. I have no half-moons on the outer fingernails, and my tongue is swolen with teeth indentations. I also have weight gain in the middle, round moon shaped face, basically I am a poster child/adult for hypothyroidism and have been for many years. I was happy that these doctors did not treat me by the numbers but by the symptoms. The first day I took the thyroid med I felt great and continued to feel great for about a week. Then it started to affect my sleep. I became more and more sleep-deprived. I backed-off from 60mg to 30 mg and finally took a day off. I felt better the next day after not taking it. I think I am going to have to play with the dosage because it seems to be affecting my already over-sensitive nervous system.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Check out what Dr. Brownstein says about the thyroid. He claims that most of us are iodine deficient.
If you put several drops of the Lugols on you inner forearm and it goes into the skin right away it means that you are deficient. The iodine is yellow-brown so you can see it.

I take dessicated thyroid tablets and they only last about 3 hours. I am torn between taking them before bed or not, I think my low thyroid symptoms interfere with sleeping, and it's better if I take one near bedtime.

Zensational

This guy says that if it disappears within 7 hours then you have a major iodine deficiency.
It looks like it completely disappears. My husband tried it and his iodine was absorbed with an hour.
Apparently best I can glean, you need both thyroid and iodine. In other words you can take thyroid and still be iodine deficient.

Zensational

I take dessicated thyroid tablets and they only last about 3 hours. I am torn between taking them before bed or not, I think my low thyroid symptoms interfere with sleeping, and it's better if I take one near bedtime.
How much dessicated thyroid are you taking. They started my at 60 mg but I was taking 30 in the morning and 30 at early afternoon.
I'm afraid it will interfere with my sleep too, and it does. Not like caffeine, but I generally feel hyped-up. It's kink of nice to feel that way, I just wish I could get refreshing sleep.

I started at 60mg three times a day. I definitely need a higher dose. 120mg four times a day is probably right for me, or I get my low thyroid symptoms for hours at the end of the day.

Hyped up feeling sounds like you are taking too much but that is a low dose. I believe some people take 240mg or more, three times a day.