• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which form of niacinimide?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I'm low in B3 and doc said to take niacinamide. I called into the pharmacy this afternoon and was faced with 4 different forms - all Solgar.....WtH
Can someone direct me to the best one - also seem to remember a non flushing one??

I don't seem to be able to tolerate the bcomplexes so maybe I'll just have to try them one at a time, oh hell....

Sea

I know very little about this mary, I'm sure others who know more will chime in. I'm pretty sure though that the flushing happens with Niacin but not with Niacinamide

Ema

The flushing is from nicotinic acid which is part of what is typically called niacin.

Niacinamide is the other part contained in niacin and it doesn't cause flushing.

I had a hard time with flushing because the vasodilation increased my pain levels especially in my head. I'm tolerating niacinamide at 1000 mg twice daily just fine though. At that dose, it is thought to have antibacterial effects as well.

FWIW, I am taking the Thorne version of niacinamide.

Ema

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
The flushing is from nicotinic acid which is part of what is typically called niacin.

Niacinamide is the other part contained in niacin and it doesn't cause flushing.

I had a hard time with flushing because the vasodilation increased my pain levels especially in my head. I'm tolerating niacinamide at 1000 mg twice daily just fine though. At that dose, it is thought to have antibacterial effects as well.

FWIW, I am taking the Thorne version of niacinamide.

Ema

Any reported dangers with a high dose of niacinamide? I've only been taking 500 mg per day.

Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
thanks people @Ema I've ordered the Thorne one from iherb, - ridiculous that its cheaper than buying it the UK - now wonder they call it 'rip off Britain'
I'm so glad I didn't buy the niacin yesterday - I get so confused when confronted with someone who is obviously knowledgeable but not really telling me what I want!!!

undcvr

Any reported dangers with a high dose of niacinamide? I've only been taking 500 mg per day.

Sushi

I've read doses at up to 1-2 gm a day for alzheimer's but doesn't niacinamide quech methylation ? And you should not be taking it with methlyB12 ? I was told NADH is the best most active form of B3. It does work but it is also very expensive.

Ema

I've read doses at up to 1-2 gm a day for alzheimer's but doesn't niacinamide quech methylation ? And you should not be taking it with methlyB12 ? I was told NADH is the best most active form of B3. It does work but it is also very expensive.
I don't think it quenches methylation so much as soaks up excessive methyl groups. So if you are an overmethylator, it is beneficial in that respect. I'm not sure that it does anything if undermethylation is the problem.

I've wondered about taking it apart from mB12. I currently take mB12 about an hour before the AM dose of niacinamide.

I didn't have any luck with NADH. I don't think it can survive the digestive tract. I don't believe it is well absorbed sublingually as well. And it doesn't have the antibiotic benefits of niacinamide.

Ema

Kimsie

The orthomolecular doctors have been using niacinamide in doses up to 6 grams a day for about 60 years without anyone having liver damage. The people who have had actual liver damage were taking time release niacin, not niacinamide.