• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immune modulators with antivirals and/or antibiotics counter productive?

knackers323

I am trying to understand how the immune system works, so please bear with me.

If you were trying to treat an infection with antivirals or antibiotics, would it be wise to try to re-route the immune system with an immune modulator to lessen symptoms at the same time?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I am trying to understand how the immune system works, so please bear with me.

If you were trying to treat an infection with antivirals or antibiotics, would it be wise to try to re-route the immune system with an immune modulator to lessen symptoms at the same time?

Many doctors do treat in this manner. I am thinking specifically of LDN in combo with antivitirals and/or antibiotics.

Sushi

knackers323

Ha, it seems I have much to learn.

I would have thought that if the th1 arm was over active it is probably trying to tackle an infection.

If you were to take abx or antivirals to treat that infection, then wouldn't it be better to have the help of the immune system also rather than try to change its mode of action?

Does LDN work on raising a th1 or th2 response though? Doesn't it provide benefits through raising endorphins

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Ha, it seems I have much to learn.

I would have thought that if the th1 arm was over active it is probably trying to tackle an infection.

If you were to take abx or antivirals to treat that infection, then wouldn't it be better to have the help of the immune system also rather than try to change its mode of action?

Does LDN work on raising a th1 or th2 response though? Doesn't it provide benefits through raising endorphins

I am told that more of us are overbalanced toward Th2. LDN's effect translates to an immune response but I don't know the mechanism.

Sushi

knackers323

Yes I'm pretty sure cfs is thought to be a th2 response but I am getting some relief from pycnogenol that is meant to boost th2. ?