• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bleaching household mold helps breathing

xchocoholic

Here's a new one. I first noticed this a couple of years ago when I moved into a condo that wreaked of mold. If I sprayed the intake unit and ducts regularly with a light bleach mix it helped my breathing. Too much bleach makes it worse.

Lately I've been cleaning the window screens with a light bleach water mix and it's consistently making my breathing easier. : )

Googling bleach therapy, I found it's being used in baths or ingested to kill pathogens. I'm assuming my reaction means I have these but I don't know why the improvement would happen so quickly. I just thought it was cleaning the air.

I'm in the process of moving.

thoughts ? I see MMS is a form of this. Does this mean I should try MMS ?

tx ... x

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Here's a new one. I first noticed this a couple of years ago when I moved into a condo that wreaked of mold. If I sprayed the intake unit and ducts regularly with a light bleach mix it helped my breathing. Too much bleach makes it worse.

Lately I've been cleaning the window screens with a light bleach water mix and it's consistently making my breathing easier. : )

Googling bleach therapy, I found it's being used in baths or ingested to kill pathogens. I'm assuming my reaction means I have these but I don't know why the improvement would happen so quickly. I just thought it was cleaning the air.

I'm in the process of moving.

thoughts ? I see MMS is a form of this. Does this mean I should try MMS ?

tx ... x

I really don't think you should try MMS. It alarms me that people are. You really don't want to bleach your insides!

Things like this may provide short-term symptom relief, but I doubt whether they help with long-term, underlying issues, and they are perhaps more likely to make things worse, e.g. by killing beneficial gut bacteria.

MeSci

I really don't think you should try MMS. It alarms me that people are. You really don't want to bleach your insides!

Things like this may provide short-term symptom relief, but I doubt whether they help with long-term, underlying issues, and they are perhaps more likely to make things worse, e.g. by killing beneficial gut bacteria.

Just in case you haven't read about the dangers, the Wikipedia entry here looks good.

xchocoholic

thanks @MeSci

I only briefly read about MMS but went ahead and asked because of my positive reaction to inhaling a mild version of bleach water.

I'm going to look further to see if trusted alternative or holistic practitioners are using this. Having a positive response makes it more intriguing.

tc .. x

peggy-sue

MMS is a money spinning cult - I reckon it's dangerous and unfounded.:mad:

It could be that the chlorine fumes are killing bugs in your lungs, or decongesting you a bit.

There is a lot to be said for being in places such as down the salt mines near Krakow. The atmosphere down there was used for TB therapy in olden times - but is still used today. The air is particularly clean and full of the right sort of ions.

I'd far rather hear about you getting yourself a rocksalt lampshade and sitting near that than inhaling bleach!:thumbsup:

MeSci

And the more I think about it - (and because MeSci liked my last post :))

the more I think a rocksalt lampshade might be a good thing for you to try.:thumbsup:

The 'like' was really about the harmful vs. the harmless. I don't know whether rock salt does any good unless ingested. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't!

Undisclosed

It is claimed by Jim Humble that MMS cures malaria, hepatitis, cancer, AIDs etc etc.

Apparently, according to Jim Humble when a chlorine dioxide ion (not the same as chlorine btw) comes into contact with a harmful pathogen it ' instantly rips up to five electrons from the pathogen' which kills the pathogen but is harmless to us.

The problem is that MMS can not differentiate between healthy cells and pathogens which is the reason people feel nauseated and vomit if they take too much. No form of bleach can actively seek out viruses/bacteria/parasites/cancer cells in the body, it harms the first cells it comes into contact with. If you took enough MMS to get blood concentrations of chlorine dioxide high enough to kill a single pathogen, you would probably die (that would take about 400 ml or a couple of bottles full).

There is a reason why there is a 'corrosive' warnings on bleach bottles and a reason why the amount of Chlorine Dioxide that is added to water supplies is limited.

There is also a reason Jim Humble uses the 'Church' to promote his product and lives in a country with no extradition laws. There is also a reason that on all the forums you visit that discuss MMS, you find brand new members extolling its miraculous properties.

I am not sure why one would be able to breathe better when being exposed to water with bleach in it unless it's an attempt of the body to open the airways in reaction to a toxin or something.

MeSci

Is that self-annointed, or self-appointed... or both?:p

I guess it was by his weird cult - sorry - 'church' called Genesis II. I have had great difficulty in finding any authoritative sites about him, as the hits are saturated with sites promoting MMS, Humble and the 'church'. I tried 3 search engines.

peggy-sue

I believe the distinction between a cult and a "religion" is similar to that between an Medical Centre and a "Centre of Excellence".:devil:
It's a simple matter of numbers of staff/believers. Get enough converts and a cult will get official recognition as being a religion. o_O

xchocoholic

Thanks for the replies. I think I figured out part of it. I also breath better when I get out of thus condo. So there's bad air in here that's causing breathing problems.

So, inhaling bleach fumes may not be what's causing the positive reaction. I understand what you mean by airways opening up tho. I'll watch for that.

The a/c unit here is old and the inside of the ducts are yellowish brown so I get why spraying these help.

I'm surprised that spraying the screens makes such a difference. I need to repeat the process daily at this point. I live upstairs so taking these down for cleaning isn't possible for me.

Fwiw I was at a Korean spa once and visited the various healing rooms including salt but didn't feel anything from it. I'll look into the salt lamps tho. I like the way they look.

It's a shame we can't tell whether MMS is good or not based on the web. I'm always leafy of anything that's heavily promoted.

tc ... x

peggy-sue

Kina wrote a little bit here - that's "on the web" and in that small posting, I think Kina covered everything you need to know about MMS. (including the bit about the cult leader deliberately living somewhere where he cannot be extradited to the states.
Avoid it.:cautious: It is potentially very dangerous. There are no scientific grounds for it to work, just a few scientific sounding phrases and words used. That's called pseudoscience.

I've been looking for any evidence about the salt caves or for the salt lamps, without much success.

All I can really find it the observation made by the bloke in Poland about miners not suffering from as many lung ailments as others (I've copied and pasted a link to what Wiki says about salt mine therapies)
However, the air down the mine in Poland IS, without doubt, incredibly clean air, I'm sure all that salt must sterilise it.

It certainly isn't harmful and if you like the look of the lamps, one might not be a bad idea. Certainly better than putting bleach up your bum. :aghhh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_therapy

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End

I think I figured out part of it. I also breath better when I get out of thus condo. So there's bad air in here that's causing breathing problems.
I too think that cleaning the intake unit and ducts is improving the air quality in the apartment. I don't know what to think about cleaning the screens. Maybe there is more mold on the screens than we would expect. Maybe the bleach residue on the screen is killing some mold that comes through it.

xchocoholic

I'm also thinking it's a mold problem in this condo. I always breath better when I get out of here.

I washed down my bathroom with a bleach mixture yesterday afternoon. It definitely is easier to breath in there now.

I didn't feel better when inhaling the fumes. In fact my nasal passages closed up and afterwards I had substantial post nasal drip and a raw throat.

I'm guessing the screens just catch and breed mold. I live near the beach so I get salt air anytime there's a breeze. Maybe they're a little rusty too from age.

I'm working on cleaning the rest of this place with bleach and also trying to move.

Both of the closets in the bedroom are empty and wreak unless they're sprayed every few days. Now that I discovered how much better I can breath it's easier to tell when they need to be sprayed again.

xchocoholic

@peggy-sue
hi. While I appreciate Kina's info and value any input, I still need to look at MMS for myself to see if it has any redeeming qualities.

As a non scientifically trained consumer
I'm stuck trying to decide who to trust.
I've witnessed on the web multiple "science wars" by trusted sources so I'm left not knowing who to believe. I definitely see personal attacks as a sign of dishonesty now after watching so many doctors and scientists beings attacked by others. All that's accomplished is to confuse me. Which is why I see an integrative doctor who believes in using the best of both worlds.

Btw I started googling to see what mercola, Dr Mark Hyman etc though of mms but was just too exhausted to read it.

tc ... x

peggy-sue

Fine. :thumbsup:

As a scientist, I always distrust a religion which claims to be scientific. It's a good rule of thumb and saves me wading though piles of garbage.
Science is not subject to the realms of "faith".