• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immune problems - vitamin C dose etc

Spinney Lainey

Any suggestions for a terrible immune system? Getting a cold almost kills me. What dose/make of vitamin C do people take?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
My immune system was helped enormously by seeing a medical herbalist - not sure what country you are in, so don't know if they have them where you are. Mine gave me a mixture of different herbs to support the immune system and it helped in the long run- but no instant cure. I have found though the longer I am ill for the less colds, flus and infections I get, whereas in the beginning I got them all the time.
TC, Justy.

Plum

Most of our immune system is in our gut. If you have any gut issues then getting them fixed would help a lot.

Probiotics, good diet, fermented foods and collostrum help a lot. Not everyone does well on collostrum though.

Immune function is difficult to treat without knowing the cause.

Removing all possible stressors is a good starting point - sleep issues, diet issues, blood sugar imbalance etc. Then cleaning up the diet - for me strict Paleo does work. No sugar, grains, eggs etc but that's just me.

A lot of medicines mess with your gut too.

There is lots of great info out there. Check out people like Sean Croxton and Josh Rubin on youtube. Sean interviews a lot of great people and some of his recent clips are on gut issues, gluten intolerance etc.

ukxmrv

I only take Vit C now if I think I am getting a cold or those i live with are getting colds. Tried Vit C as a daily or seasonal thing and it made no difference that I could see.

I take 1gram tablets and load up to bowel tolerance. Was important for me to find a brand that I could tolerate in high doses. Would aim for 3-5 grams a day to head off a cold.

Spinney Lainey

Most of our immune system is in our gut. If you have any gut issues then getting them fixed would help a lot.

Probiotics, good diet, fermented foods and collostrum help a lot. Not everyone does well on collostrum though.

Immune function is difficult to treat without knowing the cause.

Removing all possible stressors is a good starting point - sleep issues, diet issues, blood sugar imbalance etc. Then cleaning up the diet - for me strict Paleo does work. No sugar, grains, eggs etc but that's just me.

A lot of medicines mess with your gut too.

There is lots of great info out there. Check out people like Sean Croxton and Josh Rubin on youtube. Sean interviews a lot of great people and some of his recent clips are on gut issues, gluten intolerance etc.

I already take probiotics and have a good diet. Am also planning to eat more miso soup! I definitely have a blood sugar problem - how do you deal with that, apart from the hypoglycemia diet?

Spinney Lainey

I only take Vit C now if I think I am getting a cold or those i live with are getting colds. Tried Vit C as a daily or seasonal thing and it made no difference that I could see.

I take 1gram tablets and load up to bowel tolerance. Was important for me to find a brand that I could tolerate in high doses. Would aim for 3-5 grams a day to head off a cold.

Which make did you use?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I already take probiotics and have a good diet. Am also planning to eat more miso soup! I definitely have a blood sugar problem - how do you deal with that, apart from the hypoglycemia diet?

No sugar, no/low carb diet and no fruit in the beginning if really bad.

Spinney Lainey

Ok, I've also heard people talking about buffered vitamin C - as it is a neutral pH, so is supposed to not upset the stomach. Can't decide whether to get ester C or buffered C..............

Plum

I would also make sure your vitamin C is GMO free as most is made from corn. GMO's can affect your stomach too.

Blood sugar issues are hard. I've recently gotten on top of mine. I didn't know I was allergic to eggs. Now that I've removed them and stick to no grains, no sugar, low carb I do better. I'm not hungry between meals, no hypoglycaemic symptoms.

I eat meat, veg and small bit of potato 3 times a day. But everyone's different and you need to find what balances you properly. I've been trying to get this far for almost 4 years.

Spinney Lainey

I generally eat a lot of protein and wholegrain grains i.e brown rice and quinoa. If I don't eat any carbs, I get so hungry. How did you find out you were allergic to eggs? I don't eat wheat, milk or cheese.

PNR2008

Vit C never really worked for me but the herbs did and in liquid drops. So I take Zand's herbal insure, a matake mushroom extract and astragulas extract. Some can't take any fungus so you have to be careful but take the others often under attack and slow down during healthy times.

Plum

I generally eat a lot of protein and wholegrain grains i.e brown rice and quinoa. If I don't eat any carbs, I get so hungry. How did you find out you were allergic to eggs? I don't eat wheat, milk or cheese.

You can always increase your carbs by eating more veg. Also depends on the quality of your meat? Conventional/free range/grass fed/ organic.

Food detective test first picked up egg allergy. Recent gut issues showed me had to give them up too.

This book has a great self test in it to see how much carb you 'need' to consume. We're all different.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metabolic-T...4430693&sr=8-1&keywords=metabolic+typing+diet

Also if yr going to eat grains they should be prepared properly to aid digestion - soaked overnight and cooked in homemade stock. Check out a book called Nourishing Traditions. Grains are hard on the gut.

PNR2008

I have always had a gag effect with eggs but dairy is essential in my diet. Wheat is ok only in small dosages, like once a day, rice is ok. Whatever I eat has to be varied but nuts are very important as vegetables and fruit.