• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DMG vs TMG.. does it matter which?

chilove

Hi guys,

Is there much difference between DMG and TMG for methylation support?

I'm not sure if my results matter so here they are in case:

Gene & Variation rsID Alleles Result
COMT V158M rs4680 AG +/-
COMT H62H rs4633 CT +/-
COMT P199P rs769224 GG -/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 CC -/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+
MAO A R297R rs6323 TT +/+
ACAT1-02 rs3741049 GG -/-
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 AG +/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GT +/-
MTR A2756G rs1805087 AA -/-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 AA -/-
MTRR H595Y rs10380 CC -/-
MTRR K350A rs162036 AA -/-
MTRR R415T rs2287780 CC -/-
MTRR A664A rs1802059 AA +/+
BHMT-02 rs567754 CT +/-
BHMT-04 rs617219 AC +/-
BHMT-08 rs651852 CT +/-
AHCY-01 rs819147 TT -/-
AHCY-02 rs819134 AA -/-
AHCY-19 rs819171 TT -/-
CBS C699T rs234706 GG -/-
CBS A360A rs1801181 GG -/-
CBS N212N rs2298758 GG -/-
SHMT1 C1420T rs1979277 GG -/-

Thanks so much !

Audrey

Critterina

Audrey,
I don't know anything about the theory behind the difference, but when I take them, I get very different results. I took a DMG and physically it was almost like I was angry - tense, hard, swift motions. The TMG has no such effect on me.

taroki

I am also MTHFR A1298C +/- and I was so happy when I found out TMG helps with my fibromyalgia. Within 20 min of taking it I felt instant relief! I can now feel the rest of my body which has been aching from toxins, etc. I guess my body wasn't regulating iron properly this whole entire time.

Critterina

I am also MTHFR A1298C +/- and I was so happy when I found out TMG helps with my fibromyalgia. Within 20 min of taking it I felt instant relief! I can now feel the rest of my body which has been aching from toxins, etc. I guess my body wasn't regulating iron properly this whole entire time.
Interesting @taroki ,
What is the connection with Iron?

Critterina

How much TMG is everyone taking?

I was taking 500 mg/day with breakfast. Two weeks ago I added another capsule at lunch and felt much better by week's end. Just found some 750 mg TMG on sale (best by date is end of 2013), and was wondering if I might take two of those instead, or if I'm getting near a maximum and just take one. Thoughts?

Critterina

TMG accelerates the secondary pathway, DMG puts the brakes on. The purpose of DMG would be to shift from the secondary pathway to the primary pathway.
That is exactly what I would think. But Rawlins recommends DMG first and TMG as an alternate - of course that may be for everyone, regardless of their BHMT status.

Freddd

Let's consider what we are talking about. Choline (Quad Methyl Glycine basically), 3 available methyl groups, TriMethylGlycine, 2 available methyl groups, DMG, 1 available methyl group. I have read an awful lot that questions if DMG does anything at all. It is clear that choline and TMG both work noticeably. It's interesting that at least some have hadf a DMG effect. Was it different than merely stopping TMG?

perchance dreamer

DMG works far better for me. I find TMG too stimulating.

DMG was the first methyl donor I ever tried. I had gone through 3 years of very little sleep, and the sleep I did get was highly interrupted.

When I first tried DMG, it was the first time I had yawned in all that time. I had been so tired and wired, but never genuinely sleepy during that awful time. It's taken years for my sleep to get better, and I've added lots of other methyl donors, but DMG started me on the path.

I still take a sublingual DMG, 250 MG, three times a day. It continues to help keep a lid on the tired but wired feeling.

My nutritionist said that many of his clients take DMG for energy, so maybe there aren't that many people who react the way I do to it.

leela

TMG accelerates the secondary pathway, DMG puts the brakes on. The purpose of DMG would be to shift from the secondary pathway to the primary pathway.
@caledonia, would you mind clarifying for my swelly brain :confused:? When you say secondary pathway, are you talking about the BHMT pathway?
Since my BHMT shortcut is pretty well hosed, I can't tell if TMG would be helpful or harmful. I have a jar of it but have not opened it yet. No matter how much I read, I cannot retain any useful information. So frustrating!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not too sure but due to my 23andMe results, I have "Hemochromatosis (HFE-related)" as an inherited condition and the label on Genestra TMG says it is a source of iron. Maybe the TMG helped clean out the iron stuck in my liver, which in turn helped my fibromyalgia?
Have you had a Full iron panel done to see what your iron status is ? having the HHC genes does not necessarily mean the you will develop Iron Overload Disorder. What HHC genes do you have? I have C282Y ++, and load Iron, which together with the MTHFR C677T ++ , is quite a complicated scenario.

taroki

@Milford
I haven't really done much in terms of interpreting my results, hopefully my new naturopath next week can help out with that. Thanks for the reminder, will be sure to bring it up with him. I find this stuff a bit confusing and being an ADHD/Asperger I get overwhelmed quite easily, LOL. :)

I am BHMT 2, 6 and 8 +/+. Didn't really work on the Short Pathway because already had low Cortisol, and Lecithin makes me bruise. So a few days ago tried 500mg of TMG. I have already been working on the Long Route with Lithium, B12 and 5MTHF.... which I know isnt the right way to do things, and that Short Route support should be done first. Anyway.... I added the TMG, and it had definitely ramped up the detox... as felt by feeling hot, then shivery, then headachey and a worsening of the 'metallic' taste in my mouth.
I am resisting all temptation to increase the dose.... at least for now !!!